Red License Plate

sucher

2 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

A subject that has been covered on this forum many times.

Give the search function a go !!

Funny because his nickname translates to "searcher" ????

3 minutes ago, sucher said:

I tried. My Search function seem not to work. 

Thanks 

How about Google or the search engine of your choice? What restrictions do you know about so far?

4 minutes ago, sucher said:

I tried. My Search function seem not to work. 

Thanks 

Basically don't drive after dark. 

Don't go out of you provincial area, if you do you have to fill out the book they give to write down where you go and where you stay. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, onthedarkside said:

With a red number plate you are only supposed to drive the vehicle in the province in which it was purchased. For example if you purchased the car in Pattaya you could only drive in Chonburi province and not for example in Bangkok or Rayong. Also, the vehicle should not be on the roads after 6pm. In practice neither of the laws are enforced but you should be aware of them in case you meet an over zealous policeman.

https://pattayarentacar.com/blog/red-number-plates-cars

It is possible to drive the vehicle outside the province with the necessary entries in the log book as mentioned earlier. Also sometimes the laws are indeed enforced. I was fined for driving a red plate car outside province (dealer paid the fine as they messed up the registration).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, eisfeld said:

It is possible to drive the vehicle outside the province with the necessary entries in the log book as mentioned earlier. Also sometimes the laws are indeed enforced. I was fined for driving a red plate car outside province (dealer paid the fine as they messed up the registration).

Dunno, we have with every new motor fills the book they give you and show to the police when stopped, never a problem.

Only nighttime you can get a fine again no big deal.

For motorcycles: they have no legal standing, but each police stations in provinces issue them to help with crimes from stolen bikes to traffic offence while waiting for paperwork to be sorted for the bike

For cars, red plate must be issued with logbook

Due to shortages, dealers have been giving people fake red plates, from fake plates with real logbook, or one real plate and one fake for the other side, making a set of real plates stretch to cover two or even three customers

Fine for forging government documents are of course worse than driving with no plate.... too bad if your dealer didn't tell you the truth and you can't discern if they're genuine or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

For motorcycles: they have no legal standing, but each police stations in provinces issue them to help with crimes from stolen bikes to traffic offence while waiting for paperwork to be sorted for the bike

I don't think motorcycles are different in the eye of the law when it comes to red plates, are they?

17 hours ago, eisfeld said:

How much is the fine,  for motorbike, for out of province, and after dusk....?

In Phuket 80% of rental bikes have red plate (or no plate !), and run around all night....! ????

We had a red plate for over a month driving between Bangkok and changmai , night and day , no problems..

They soon want your money for the temporary plate but very slow to give back the  deposit! 

5 hours ago, Agusts said:

How much is the fine,  for motorbike, for out of province, and after dusk....?

In Phuket 80% of rental bikes have red plate (or no plate !), and run around all night....! ????

Same as for cars I would assume. The Vehicle Act speaks of "vehicle" and not some specific variation like "car" or "motorbike" in that regard. See Section 27.

Link to ininitial version of the Act. I'm sure there have been amendments but I don't have translations at hand for all of those: http://web.krisdika.go.th/data/outsitedata/outsite21/file/Vehicle_Act_BE_2522_(1979).pdf

On 5/8/2023 at 4:57 PM, Kwasaki said:

No unless you fill the book out can you read. 

I know that was or is the law, but it's not a real issues, i have ridden from Pattaya to both the north and south of Thailand without any issues at all.

Red plates are actually to be used by garages and car dealers only to transport non-registered vehicles from A to B.

Apart from affixing the red plates on the vehicle, one should enter the trip from A to B in a car registration book which has a red/brown cover; as the car(s) change with these plates regularly, one would have to enter VIN and engine number as well - in all practicality 99% of the cars with red plates do NOT have the said book nor entry in the latter. 

You may only drive during daylight hours and only within the province the plates refer to - according to the rules. Breaking those result in the usually roadside "tipping" if caught. 

Registering a new car is a walk in the park; take the entire paperwork from the dealer and see the Department of Land Transport in your province. You also need to compile the papers of the owner to be registered and that's it. Did it many times, never took me more than 30 minutes and you walk off with the brand-new blue car registration book and a set of brand new registration plates. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, chrissables said:

I know that was or is the law, but it's not a real issues, i have ridden from Pattaya to both the north and south of Thailand without any issues at all.

TIT you can, at the end of the day it's no big deal. 

Red plate, book to fill out what is everybodies problem.

Thais won't eat you lot. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2023 at 8:44 PM, eisfeld said:

I don't think motorcycles are different in the eye of the law when it comes to red plates, are they?

There are no red plate for motorcycle issued by DLT

You won't see them in Bangkok

What gets issued in certain provinces are backed by the local police station or just the dealership

9 minutes ago, digbeth said:

There are no red plate for motorcycle issued by DLT

You won't see them in Bangkok

What gets issued in certain provinces are backed by the local police station or just the dealership

What do you mean by "backed by the local police station"?. And in any case a license plate being available or not does not change the general restrictions for vehicles as per the various acts.

The fact that the law is not widely enforced and riding without proper plates being common is another story.

36 minutes ago, eisfeld said:

What do you mean by "backed by the local police station"?. And in any case a license plate being available or not does not change the general restrictions for vehicles as per the various acts.

The fact that the law is not widely enforced and riding without proper plates being common is another story.

There are no law or dlt regulations that covers red temporary plate for motorbikes, they are not made or issued by the department of land transport.

Problems are that between riding off from the dealer and when the dealer register the bikes could be months, during which they could be involved in crimes and be untraceable, by witness amd such, hence some province police stationwould get together with the local dealers and issue their own plate, you'll see plate like Pattayq, some will even have dealer's name attached

If you ride such a plated bike to Bangkok, it's good as having no plate,

But Bangkok police, having no such scheme, would let you off with a warning if you can produce recent dated receipt from the dealer

Even riding to other province with similar mptorcycle red plate scheme, you aren't guaranteed to not get tickets for having no registration either

1 hour ago, digbeth said:

There are no law or dlt regulations that covers red temporary plate for motorbikes, they are not made or issued by the department of land transport.

Yes there is. The Vehicle Act speaks of "vehicles" and not "cars". It covers motorbikes. If the DLT issues no red plates for motorcycles then one is not supposed to ride the bike without plates. In reality in many places the police will accept it if the rider can show the purchase papers and if they are recent (as if the bike had red plates) as you said. I think we both agree on the real situation but it still doesn't change that the laws exist and prohibit people from riding these bikes.

Most dealers in Thailand (cars or motorbikes doesn't matter) are absolutely terrible when it comes to registering the vehicles, I've experienced it with Honda (car) and Ducati (motorbike). It took months and it was completely the dealers fault. This created all the mess and why police don't enforce the rules too strictly in the first place.

The lawmaker should introduce a 5k THB per month and vehicle fine if a dealer takes more than 14 days to submit papers to the DLT for registration. This would probably solve the whole nonsense.