Red License Plate

sucher

On 5/9/2023 at 5:14 PM, Sydebolle said:

in all practicality 99% of the cars with red plates do NOT have the said book nor entry in the latter. 

If a car has red plate but no book then the plates are probably fake.

At first the dealer gave me such fake plates (but he informed me about this, also just plates no book), because they didn't have any real red plates available, then two weeks later I got real red plates with the book.

I assume the question is related to motorcycles, because it's in the motorcycle section:

In most provinces you don't get red plates for a motorbike, you just ride without them. Police is aware of this and I never had a problem in a police checkpoint, when asked I simply told them that I just recently bought it, but the newish condition and odometer of the bike also verified this.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 5/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, itsari said:

Can only be driven from morning to dusk .

Tell them to get the correct plates before payment for the car or forget the sale 

Worth a try, but doubtful it'll work.  I believe the dealer has to remit the VAT before the white (permanent) plate is issued.  That can be a significant amount of money in most cases.

The last car we bought, the dealer ran out of red plates, so we had no plate for over a month. The dealer said if we get stopped and fined, they'd pay the fine. Drove the car for a month and never got stopped.

The car before that, we had red plates for over 3 months - seems the dealer wanted to hang onto their money a bit longer.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am particularly interested on this as I like to rent bikes to try them out, but to really test drive and enjoy it, I need to take it out of Phuket and maybe to Phang Nga area for a day trip...

Almost all rental shops here refuse to rent me a red plate bike to take out of Phuket province for day...! We couldn't really understand this and my friends reckon this is more of a shop not wanting their new bike go on a long km trip just for one day rent - basically not a good deal for them rather than the red plate excuse....!

But from this thread I guess it's a bit of both then ....????