State of Industry (Oct to Apr)

Dear forum members,

We are thrilled to announce the launch of our state of the industry page for Thailand's cannabis industry, powered by WEED.TH. This comprehensive, interactive page offers the latest insights into Thailand's rapidly evolving cannabis industry, providing a detailed map showcasing registered cannabis shops, product counts, and locations.

With 4556 indexed shops, over 2250 of them are directly managing their listings. This means that almost all the data on our state of industry page is directly provided by the shops themselves, ensuring accuracy and up-to-date information that can be trusted by users.

This is just the beginning of our data project, and we plan to track and release more information as the industry develops. We are committed to providing comprehensive and reliable information to help users stay informed about the latest developments and trends shaping Thailand's cannabis market.

In addition, we have compiled a list of average prices for cannabis flower by province, calculated by aggregating individual data points to offer a general idea of price trends within each region. These averages provide an accurate representation of regional market conditions, allowing users to gain valuable insights into price fluctuations for cannabis flower based on reliable data sources.

We have also curated a collection of news articles from around the world, providing a holistic understanding of the developments and trends shaping Thailand's cannabis market.

With over 2768 articles available for download, our comprehensive information is invaluable in promoting accurate reporting and fostering an informed community.

Our immersive experience allows users to travel back in time using a timeline slider to see how the landscape has transformed. Dive into this immersive experience and gain a unique perspective on this thriving sector, as only WEED.TH can deliver.

Our aim is to provide journalists, media outlets, and other interested parties with a deeper understanding of Thailand's cannabis industry through access to an extensive collection of resources and data. Knowledgeable experts are available for interviews, providing insights on the latest trends and developments in the cannabis market. Specific data requests, expert commentary, and additional inquiries are welcome.

To submit a data request, press inquiry, or schedule an interview, please contact [email protected]. By working together, we can contribute to a greater understanding and awareness of the cannabis industry in Thailand and beyond.

Thank you for your interest in our state of the industry page, and we look forward to working with you to promote accurate reporting and informed discussions about Thailand's thriving cannabis industry.

Best regards,

OG Team / WEED.TH Team

image.thumb.png.5ee2570cb99cd738a8b76bde826eb52b.png

image.thumb.png.5e1f51c7a0d6cef7def6f3497cce8dcd.png

Edited by OG Thai

Simply decriminalizing weed doesn't make it an industry. An "industry" will include recognizable branding, quality control standards, marketing regulation, and enough enforcement bodies to regulate, enforce regulations and collect taxes.  What we have so far is an unregulated free for all filled with scams, unregulated competition, and lots of whining from entrepreneurs who bet the farm before the business environment stabilized.   

My experience has been that the AAA++ rating system is meaningless, the THC% growers post are theoretical fantasy,  and the majority of sellers I've tried are either scammers or don't offer a value I'd choose to re-order. 

Weed legalization 2.0 is just around the corner. Lets see if the gov thinks it through just a little better this time ???? 

Edited by Wuvu2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Data services offering Insights into the legal cannabis industry in Thailand is inherently flawed from the start, offering nothing more than what “WeedMaps or Leafly” offers in the USA: a map and menu of locations and offerings.

The “data” is cripplingly limited, as it is an uneven playing field rife with “bad actors”, illegal imports and more than dubious product as is blatantly obvious by reading the cannabis related posts in this forum. How does one produce data or metrics to analyze when there is no type of regulation that tracks quantity and analysis of products sold? One does not need to look further than the USA to see what valid metrics looks like.

Seed-to-sale software in every dispensary and grow across the US is regulated by both, cannabis enforcement regulators as well as a department of revenue (specific to each state, i.e MED (Marijuana Enforcement Division and CDR (Colorado Department of Revenue) in Colorado). There is almost no mechanism for cheating and many avenues to be fined and penalized. Infractions are published. The sole purpose of universal, non-resident software is COMPLIANCE.

The type of data and metrics that are produced: 

Total sales by category of product, I.e. flower, edibles, etc. This metric is cross referenced amongst other grows and dispensaries to show demographic feasibility and economic balance.

Total yield by seed/clone. Also cross referenced amongst other grows to show yield and grow metrics.

Audit trail and consolidation of every plant, clone, seed and finished gram of flower so that ‘rogue’ flower does not infiltrate the market.

Inspection reports: licenses, taxation, employee verification (badges)

Certificates of Analysis of flower: microbial, pesticide and THC

Consolidation of documents and product manifests.

Local and state taxation and compliance reporting

Product and regulatory labeling

(To name just a few. Forgetting more than I remember ????)

By consistent and universal data tracking, economics of the cannabis industry becomes clear; how much is sold and for how much? Non-compliant growers that fail inspections lose their license after repeated failures/fines. Grow and Dispensary licenses are separate businesses (you need to be integrated to make money but it’s not necessary). Products that enter a dispensary are audited in real time and are cross referenced against seed-to-sale metrics and quantities. Product is not ‘released’ without COA’s. A grow can’t have 500 clones appear one day without an audit trail, and if they do, they are destroyed.

A rating system of flower is done by the social media consumer market. What we call cannabis fashionistas, who drive the market in relation to quality and variety. Without an iota of regulation in this nascent market, what good is a rating system? What are the standards? Who is doing the rating?

As per the OP: “This means that almost all the data on our state of industry page is directly provided by the shops themselves, ensuring accuracy and up-to-date information that can be trusted by users.” The data is provided by the shops themselves? Ensuring accuracy? Wow, really? Instills no confidence in me, whatsoever. 

Read poster, Bamnutsak’s synopsis of Meeting minutes with the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine Agenda for some real in-site: https://aseannow.com/topic/1293676-the-bad-actors-in-thailand%E2%80%99s-cannabis-industry/?do=findComment&comment=18069357

As most of us know, the legalization was not well thought out, rolled out way too soon, and woefully remiss in any type of regulation. I liken Thailand to the USA, 11 years ago: under regulation to over regulation to controlling licenses and production to the utter decline and non-profitability of small(er) players within the market.

So, I commend the effort to provide data but make it meaningful, measurable data. A list of articles, a weed map, menus of offerings….it’s a beginning but somehow I can’t help thinking it will be an ad based revenue portal.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, SamuiGrower said:

Data services offering Insights into the legal cannabis industry in Thailand is inherently flawed from the start, offering nothing more than what “WeedMaps or Leafly” offers in the USA: a map and menu of locations and offerings.

The “data” is cripplingly limited, as it is an uneven playing field rife with “bad actors”, illegal imports and more than dubious product as is blatantly obvious by reading the cannabis related posts in this forum. How does one produce data or metrics to analyze when there is no type of regulation that tracks quantity and analysis of products sold? One does not need to look further than the USA to see what valid metrics looks like.

Seed-to-sale software in every dispensary and grow across the US is regulated by both, cannabis enforcement regulators as well as a department of revenue (specific to each state, i.e MED (Marijuana Enforcement Division and CDR (Colorado Department of Revenue) in Colorado). There is almost no mechanism for cheating and many avenues to be fined and penalized. Infractions are published. The sole purpose of universal, non-resident software is COMPLIANCE.

The type of data and metrics that are produced: 

Total sales by category of product, I.e. flower, edibles, etc. This metric is cross referenced amongst other grows and dispensaries to show demographic feasibility and economic balance.

Total yield by seed/clone. Also cross referenced amongst other grows to show yield and grow metrics.

Audit trail and consolidation of every plant, clone, seed and finished gram of flower so that ‘rogue’ flower does not infiltrate the market.

Inspection reports: licenses, taxation, employee verification (badges)

Certificates of Analysis of flower: microbial, pesticide and THC

Consolidation of documents and product manifests.

Local and state taxation and compliance reporting

Product and regulatory labeling

(To name just a few. Forgetting more than I remember ????)

By consistent and universal data tracking, economics of the cannabis industry becomes clear; how much is sold and for how much? Non-compliant growers that fail inspections lose their license after repeated failures/fines. Grow and Dispensary licenses are separate businesses (you need to be integrated to make money but it’s not necessary). Products that enter a dispensary are audited in real time and are cross referenced against seed-to-sale metrics and quantities. Product is not ‘released’ without COA’s. A grow can’t have 500 clones appear one day without an audit trail, and if they do, they are destroyed.

A rating system of flower is done by the social media consumer market. What we call cannabis fashionistas, who drive the market in relation to quality and variety. Without an iota of regulation in this nascent market, what good is a rating system? What are the standards? Who is doing the rating?

As per the OP: “This means that almost all the data on our state of industry page is directly provided by the shops themselves, ensuring accuracy and up-to-date information that can be trusted by users.” The data is provided by the shops themselves? Ensuring accuracy? Wow, really? Instills no confidence in me, whatsoever. 

Read poster, Bamnutsak’s synopsis of Meeting minutes with the Department of Thai Traditional and Alternative Medicine Agenda for some real in-site: https://aseannow.com/topic/1293676-the-bad-actors-in-thailand%E2%80%99s-cannabis-industry/?do=findComment&comment=18069357

As most of us know, the legalization was not well thought out, rolled out way too soon, and woefully remiss in any type of regulation. I liken Thailand to the USA, 11 years ago: under regulation to over regulation to controlling licenses and production to the utter decline and non-profitability of small(er) players within the market.

So, I commend the effort to provide data but make it meaningful, measurable data. A list of articles, a weed map, menus of offerings….it’s a beginning but somehow I can’t help thinking it will be an ad based revenue portal.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment and for sharing your insights on the cannabis industry. We appreciate your concerns and would like to address them.

We understand the current limitations of the Thai cannabis industry and recognize that there is still a long way to go in terms of regulation and standardization. Our goal with WEED.TH is to provide a platform that facilitates the growth and maturity of the market by offering a reliable source of information, promoting transparency, and encouraging businesses to maintain high standards.

While it is true that our platform currently relies on data provided by the shops themselves, we strive to ensure the accuracy of this information by actively collaborating with shop owners and verifying their listings. We believe that this approach can help instill confidence in users and encourage businesses to maintain accurate records and adhere to best practices.

We agree that the comprehensive seed-to-sale tracking and regulatory compliance seen in the US market is an important benchmark for the industry, and we hope to see Thailand moving in that direction in the future. As the industry evolves, we plan to continue refining and expanding our platform to provide more meaningful, measurable data and insights that reflect the growing sophistication of the market.

While our current offerings may resemble a "weed map" or collection of menus, we have no plans to rely on ad-based revenue. Our core revenue model targets wholesale, and we are focused on supporting shops by providing ways for them to showcase their products, verify their offerings, and possibly receive orders.

We appreciate your feedback and will take it into consideration as we continue to develop and improve our platform. Our ultimate goal is to contribute to a well-regulated, transparent, and thriving cannabis industry in Thailand.

6 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

The "data" business, and the "generating of cannabis articles" business are probably the most profitable segments of the cannabis business today.

Smart move.

Thanks for your comment! We agree that data and informative content are valuable in the cannabis industry. As a software company, we felt that leveraging our expertise would allow us to contribute to the sector in a unique and meaningful way. The response from both shops and users has been encouraging, with shops continuing to utilize our free listing service and tens of thousands of users signing up. This validation further strengthens our commitment to being a part of the industry's growth and development.

13 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

Simply decriminalizing weed doesn't make it an industry. An "industry" will include recognizable branding, quality control standards, marketing regulation, and enough enforcement bodies to regulate, enforce regulations and collect taxes.  What we have so far is an unregulated free for all filled with scams, unregulated competition, and lots of whining from entrepreneurs who bet the farm before the business environment stabilized.   

My experience has been that the AAA++ rating system is meaningless, the THC% growers post are theoretical fantasy,  and the majority of sellers I've tried are either scammers or don't offer a value I'd choose to re-order. 

Weed legalization 2.0 is just around the corner. Lets see if the gov thinks it through just a little better this time ???? 

We appreciate your insights on the current state of the cannabis market in Thailand. Indeed, there is significant room for improvement in terms of regulation, branding, quality control, and enforcement. The challenges you mentioned, such as scams and unreliable ratings, are aspects the industry must address to mature and stabilize.

At WEED.TH, we aim to contribute positively to the development of the cannabis sector by offering a platform that promotes transparency, verified information, and support for businesses. While we understand that the current environment may not yet be an ideal "industry," we hope that our platform can play a role in helping it transition towards a more standardized and regulated market.

We also look forward to Weed Legalization 2.0 and the potential improvements it may bring to the market. We will continue to adapt and enhance our platform in response to the evolving industry landscape.

We decided to create this page for a number of reasons, one of the most important being that we receive numerous data requests from a variety of sources, ranging from curious individuals to news agencies. In order to better serve these requests, we recognized the need to consolidate our efforts and provide this information in a more accessible and transparent manner. By creating an open and public platform, we not only streamline the process for ourselves, but also empower everyone with direct access to the data they seek.

While we are proud of the information we have made available, we continually strive to improve the quality and comprehensiveness of our page. One area we would love to expand upon is farm data and growth statistics. Incorporating this information would greatly enhance the depth and value of the resources we provide. Our ultimate goal is to promote a well-informed and engaged community by sharing this valuable information openly and efficiently.

17 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

it looks like a good data collection page.

i stopped using weed.th tho when you required email or phone verification. yea i know, protect the children. i'm also worried about protecting myself.

kids are not using your site to find weed XD

#

Thank you for your feedback! We appreciate your concerns regarding the login wall and email or phone verification. Our primary goal is to provide a secure and reliable platform for our users, and the login wall helps us ensure that only registered users have access to our site.

What was told to us is that we cannot display that type of content "publicly", and the only way which made clear sense was to put it behind a login wall. We did our best to make it as painless as possible.

By implementing this feature, we can maintain a higher level of accountability and prevent unauthorized access, while still being compliant with potential regulations. We understand that this may be an inconvenience for some users, but we are committed to refining and enhancing our services while prioritizing the safety and privacy of our community.

We hope that you'll consider giving us another chance as we continue to develop and grow our platform. Your understanding and support are truly appreciated!

Edited by OG Thai

6 hours ago, champers said:

It could all fall apart after the election/coup.

Interesting that Pattaya has more dope shops (390) than Amsterdam has "coffee " shops (about 180).

a lot more people doing temple tours is my guess...  tulips in Amsterdam are just so last century

I find the data general and nothing especially analytical. The site is apparently not responsive at least on my phone.

The data imo is a big nothing burger. I don't understand it's value and I spend a lot of time reading economic blogs and analysis.

Green spots on a map that is apparently not interactive but a Canva graphic.

I don't understand the map of Thailand and the grades of bud. This is allegedly growers? I could just imagine how off this is lol.

While not line graphs your bar graphs do not have X, Y so one needs to click on every bar. Ridiculous. If I was keen on drilling down I'd DL the data.

I don't see a value in this data. I doubt it's efficacy, collection methods, quality. But most of all it's a zero especially as it's not real time or probably even updated monthly. That is where data comes from - trends.

Best thing about the site is I was able to view it without my phone, email and passport details oh, and DNA. ???? Otherwise it would have been an immediate back click as usual for the site.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Plern said:

I find the data general and nothing especially analytical. The site is apparently not responsive at least on my phone.

The data imo is a big nothing burger. I don't understand it's value and I spend a lot of time reading economic blogs and analysis.

Green spots on a map that is apparently not interactive but a Canva graphic.

I don't understand the map of Thailand and the grades of bud. This is allegedly growers? I could just imagine how off this is lol.

While not line graphs your bar graphs do not have X, Y so one needs to click on every bar. Ridiculous. If I was keen on drilling down I'd DL the data.

I don't see a value in this data. I doubt it's efficacy, collection methods, quality. But most of all it's a zero especially as it's not real time or probably even updated monthly. That is where data comes from - trends.

Best thing about the site is I was able to view it without my phone, email and passport details oh, and DNA. ???? Otherwise it would have been an immediate back click as usual for the site.

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback about our website. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced while browsing on your phone (if you can provide phone model, and browser it would be helpful).

We would like to clarify that our data is updated on a daily basis, and we obtain this information directly from the shops through their free listings. Since we do not charge any fees to the shops, we believe that the pricing data provided should be an honest reflection of what they offer. When a shop updates their prices there is only a 3-6 hour delay due to caching policies.

We understand that you have concerns about the efficacy, collection methods, and quality of the data. However, we assure you that there shouldn't be any concern regarding the collection method, as the data is directly from the shop owners' free listings.

While we appreciate constructive criticism, it is important to remember that we have spent a significant amount of time and effort creating this platform to provide valuable information to users like you, free of charge. There is no need for hostility in expressing your concerns. We are constantly working to improve our website's functionality and user experience, and your feedback is valuable in helping us make these improvements. Additionally we do not use "Canva" it is a real map which uses real points, and is also updated daily. But we have disabled interaction as we wanted to present it as a graphic.

Please try the slider on the top of the page to see the point of it.
image.png.3cd31996e873ca33f5d54be8c4b2832e.png

Moreover, you have the opportunity to create a similar graphic using our freely accessible data. While this isn't an analytical report, it serves as a valuable resource for researchers and journalists in their work. We realize that offering a raw data page might cause confusion, as it's uncommon for platforms to provide this type of downloadable data.

We strongly encourage you to share your creations with us, particularly if you believe you can execute the visualization better than we have. Your input allows us to learn from your expertise and continually improve our offerings to better serve the community.

image.png.12d426dcdb10e14fb9f35e250883fdcb.png

No login is required as that page only shows "data", and no images of cannabis or direct item pricing.

Edited by OG Thai
  • Thumbs Up 1

As long as I can not freely connect to your website, I just don t want to check it. Your offers look interesting especially the testing offers I remember I saw, I may be interested in your map, but the connection by line stuff ruins it all, hope you change that, except you no one care...You are loosing a lot of business, you should really find another way, but I wish you good luck.

• Thumbs Up 1