US Immigration: What happens when Title 42 is lifted?

Social Media

After more than three years, a controversial Trump-era immigration policy known as Title 42 is set to expire at 11:59 PM (05:59 GMT) 11 May, when officials are bracing for an influx of migrants at the US-Mexico border.

The policy has long faced fierce criticism from immigration advocates and some Democrats who believed it prevented many asylum seekers from coming into the country.

Republicans have argued that the policy should remain in place to stop illegal border crossings, fuelling an increasingly intense and politicised immigration debate ahead of the 2024 election.

Here's what you need to know about Title 42.

What is Title 42 and why is it ending?

Title 42 dates back to a 1944 law known as the Public Health Act, which granted US authorities emergency powers to prevent the spread of diseases.

The policy came to the forefront of US immigration policy in March 2020, when the Trump administration invoked the statute to stop the spread of Covid-19 across its borders.

With Title 42 in place, US authorities were able to swiftly expel would-be migrants attempting to cross the border from Mexico - including those seeking humanitarian asylum - using the pandemic as justification.

8 hours ago, Tug said:

Sorry to disappoint you but the United States is not a dictatorship president Biden is doing everything he can within the laws on the books we need stronger laws and guess who won’t participate hummm?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hawley-pushes-dhs-answers-migrant-app-he-brands-concierge-service-illegal-immigrants

In January, the Biden administration expanded the use of the CBP One app, which has first been released in 2020 as a portal to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) services, to allow migrants at the southern border to schedule appointments at ports of entry.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hawley-pushes-dhs-answers-migrant-app-he-brands-concierge-service-illegal-immigrants

In January, the Biden administration expanded the use of the CBP One app, which has first been released in 2020 as a portal to Customs and Border Protection (CBP) services, to allow migrants at the southern border to schedule appointments at ports of entry.

Ahh it’s the law sure would be nice if the house and senate got together to change it humm???

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Tug said:

Ahh it’s the law sure would be nice if the house and senate got together to change it humm???

It's not a law, it's the biden admin doing all they can behind the scenes to attract illegals while on camera they say they're doing the best they can.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EVENKEEL said:

It's not a law, it's the biden admin doing all they can behind the scenes to attract illegals while on camera they say they're doing the best they can.

Haaa nope you are mistaken to much fake news reinforcing what you want to believe 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Tug said:

Haaa nope you are mistaken to much fake news reinforcing what you want to believe 

I take it you didn't bother with my posted link. Please listen to Myorkas's inability to answer simple questions. That man needs to go.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Tug said:

Well they don’t they are bound by the law they are restricted in the way they can respond you guys can twist that around all you want but that’s the jist of it

https://cis.org/Arthur/Mayorkas-Teases-Safe-Third-Country-Asylum-Agreement-Mexico

Just adopt a policy that says, except for children because you don’t want to send children back by themselves, just adopt a policy that if you didn’t seek asylum in the first safe third country, you can’t come in, period.

It really seems if Mayorkas was sincere he's tell us the truth about how bad the situation is.

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Biden will do what he usually does- leave for his beach house. 

Really? I looked at presidential holidays and found this. Seems lazy Republicans are in the lead there.

Order President Days
46 Joe Biden 311
45 Donald Trump 381
44 Barack Obama 328
43 George W. Bush 1,020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_vacations

5 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

the biden admin doing all they can behind the scenes to attract illegals

Any reason you think that is what Biden is doing? Just thinking that is how America has always worked. 

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

32 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Really? I looked at presidential holidays and found this. Seems lazy Republicans are in the lead there.

Order President Days
46 Joe Biden 311
45 Donald Trump 381
44 Barack Obama 328
43 George W. Bush 1,020

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_vacations

Consider that Biden has been in office for just over 2 years, then redo the math. Over a full 4 year term we are looking at 500 days.  Plus he is rarely/never available to the press, either for interviews or press conferences. Also works from 10-4 most days, if not less.  

I am sure he can safely take care of immigration policy from his beach house....  wonder if Governor Abbot has plans to send some "pre-Americans" to Delaware?

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Purdey said:

Any reason you think that is what Biden is doing? Just thinking that is how America has always worked. 

"Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Times have changed just a little in the intervening 140 years. In any case, the Statue of Liberty was meant to celebrate the end of slavery in the United States, not immigration.  

• Thumbs Up 1

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/09/politics/title-42-ending-whats-next-explainer-cec/index.html

In addition, a new regulation expected to go into effect this week would largely ban migrants who traveled through other countries on their way to the US-Mexico border from applying for asylum in the United States.

Better late than never. 

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Hanaguma said:

Consider that Biden has been in office for just over 2 years, then redo the math. Over a full 4 year term we are looking at 500 days.  Plus he is rarely/never available to the press, either for interviews or press conferences. Also works from 10-4 most days, if not less.  

I am sure he can safely take care of immigration policy from his beach house....  wonder if Governor Abbot has plans to send some "pre-Americans" to Delaware?

A welcome change from a constant stream of verbal diarrhea and hate mongering on Twitter and far more time working than playing golf.

I also hear he reads and understand his daily briefings.

Edited by Chomper Higgot

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

A welcome change from a constant stream of verbal diarrhea and hate mongering on Twitter and far more time working than playing golf.

The thread is Title 42 ending, just so you know

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

false and misleading.

"Biden is on pace to take the most vacation than ANY other president including Trump as he prepares to head to Rehoboth Beach for the weekend

Joe Biden has spent more than one-third of his time as president vacationing "

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10878885/Biden-pace-vacation-president-prepares-head-Rehoboth.html

• Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

https://cis.org/Arthur/Mayorkas-Teases-Safe-Third-Country-Asylum-Agreement-Mexico

Just adopt a policy that says, except for children because you don’t want to send children back by themselves, just adopt a policy that if you didn’t seek asylum in the first safe third country, you can’t come in, period.

It really seems if Mayorkas was sincere he's tell us the truth about how bad the situation is.

I don’t think that’s how it works just adopt something it has to be a law that requires the house and senate to do their jobs one party refuses to participate I suspect it’s because they want to use this issue to attack the other party counting on the voters being to stupid to realize their party is really responsible so here we are behold an un nessary snafu 

Ten thousand people a day are crossing the border illegally. Ten thousand.   

IF Congress had funded the construction of a border barrier- call it a wall, fence, whatever, and backed it up with real force, this would not be happening.  But sadly congressman Hank Johnson of Georgia let the cat out of the bag. He said;

"Those folks coming across the border are the ones who are helping to put food on our table. Without them, we are not able to eat... We would have nobody taking care of the construction of our homes, nobody cleaning up in the hospitals."

In other words, we need brown people to do the crap jobs in this country.  What a racist.

• Thumbs Up 1

"With Title 42 in place, US authorities were able to swiftly expel would-be migrants attempting to cross the border from Mexico - including those seeking humanitarian asylum"

You're in Mexico, seek asylum there as you obviously already escaped your oppressive state.

There should be NO humanitarian asylum granted from the Mexican or Canadian border.  Imm shouldn't even accept the applications.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Ten thousand people a day are crossing the border illegally. Ten thousand.   

IF Congress had funded the construction of a border barrier- call it a wall, fence, whatever, and backed it up with real force, this would not be happening.  But sadly congressman Hank Johnson of Georgia let the cat out of the bag. He said;

"Those folks coming across the border are the ones who are helping to put food on our table. Without them, we are not able to eat... We would have nobody taking care of the construction of our homes, nobody cleaning up in the hospitals."

In other words, we need brown people to do the crap jobs in this country.  What a racist.

I thought it was Mexico that were going to do the funding?

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I thought it was Mexico that were going to do the funding?

Whatever.  It was a typical bit of Trump BS to make that claim.  Congress should have funded it without hesitation. Turns out that 5 border walls could have been constructed for the same amount as has been thrown away on aid to Ukraine. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Hanaguma said:

Whatever.  It was a typical bit of Trump BS to make that claim.  Congress should have funded it without hesitation. Turns out that 5 border walls could have been constructed for the same amount as has been thrown away on aid to Ukraine. 

There’s a whole sub forum dedicated to Ukraine.

40 minutes ago, Tug said:

I don’t think that’s how it works just adopt something it has to be a law that requires the house and senate to do their jobs one party refuses to participate I suspect it’s because they want to use this issue to attack the other party counting on the voters being to stupid to realize their party is really responsible so here we are behold an un nessary snafu 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/09/politics/title-42-ending-whats-next-explainer-cec/index.html

In addition, a new regulation expected to go into effect this week would largely ban migrants who traveled through other countries on their way to the US-Mexico border from applying for asylum in the United States.

Open new regulation, seems it's a go ahead