Bangkok postal system, quick question

YearOfTheRat

Good afternoon!

I have a quick question for people living in Bangkok:

Does postal mail delivery Bangkok work like in Western countries (receiving mail to mail boxes outside of the house / downstairs in the condo building)?

Or is postal delivery inexistent, and you would have to rent a PO box to receive mail?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

20 minutes ago, YearOfTheRat said:

Does postal mail delivery Bangkok work like in Western countries (receiving mail to mail boxes outside of the house

Yes, postal mail delivery does get delivered to the mail box outside of the house. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

It works just fine.

In large buildings, i.e. condominiums, it is normal that the postman leaves a sack of mail for the whole building and then someone in the building puts the letters into the mailboxes.

Sometimes this causes a delay.

I.e. in "my" building if a letter arrives in the building today one of the night security guards puts it at night into the mailboxes and the owners will find the letters in their mailboxes on the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My mail is always delivered to the mail box outside the house (Bangkok), my mail is addressed in English and everything has always been delivered, including all the junk mail from the UK, i had all my pension stuff delivered 4 days after posting in the UK.  

• Love It 1

3 minutes ago, howerde said:

My mail is always delivered to the mail box outside the house (Bangkok), my mail is addressed in English and everything has always been delivered, including all the junk mail from the UK, i had all my pension stuff delivered 4 days after posting in the UK.  

I have found that Royal Thai postmen read and speak English very well. Never had any delivery difficulties myself (although I'm not in Bangkok).

Yup, no issues for us in Northern BKK, even got a registered letter delivered into my hands when the postie spotted us walking round to the restaurant for lunch ???? 

• Love It 1

22 minutes ago, howerde said:

Usually it is delivered to the mail box on the gate post (I'm not in Bangkok by the way), I still get monthly bank statements, usually they come 2 or 3 at a time, as does the CAT Wi-Fi invoices, I'm always paying the Wi-Fi bill with 1 or 2 previous months receipts attached to an old invoice.

I like the 4 days for delivery for UK pensions stuff, I just forwarded my claim last week, but excuse me if I don't hold my breath, based on the paragraph above it'll probably be 4 months not 4 days.

Almost 15 years at my house in western Bangkok....mailbox on yard wall surrounding house...never a problem in mail delivery from the U.S.  or within Thailand. Rountine mail from U.S. typically takes 10-14 days. Thai mailman delivers mail at least 6 days a week (Mon-Sat)....not sure about Sunday.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, AustinRacing said:

I do my best to avoid Thai post. Twice my atm and cc sent from os were taken at the post office. One was used locally to purchase movie tickets and take away food. 

Definitely a local rogue postman. Don't blame you for not trusting them.

48 minutes ago, AustinRacing said:

I do my best to avoid Thai post. Twice my atm and cc sent from os were taken at the post office. One was used locally to purchase movie tickets and take away food. 

How when they blocked till you get new card and re activate?