Driver for a Day: Any Recommendations?

Stubby

Good morning, Chiang Mai.

Yesterday, I went to CM Provincial Land Transport Office to change the name on a motorbike I bought. The information desk said I had to go all the way over to the Fang office to do this. I'm confused as the plate says Chiang Mai, not Fang. Anyway, if they say I need to go to Fang, that's what I must do.

I was thinking of heading over on the bike, but this month's weather is unpredictable, with a forecast that changes by the hour. I don't fancy being caught up in a violent storm while out on the open road. Instead, I will hire a private driver to take me there and back. 

I have found a couple of companies online. But if anyone here has any personal recommendations, please let me know.

Thank you.

Stubby

G'day @Stubby, sorry no recommendations for a driver, but, which office did you go to?

I've bought two motorcycles and transferred them both at the Nong Hoi branch, without any trouble.

However, the car had to be transferred at the branch out on Hang Dong road.

Edited by Yeah rightio
Extra info
  • Thanks 1

Go to any of the car rental agencies in Chiang Mai and request to rent a car with a driver.  They will oblige.  The driver shouldn't cost more that about 500 THB or a day's wage.  I've done it before...very easy and convenient. 

• Thanks 1

Before that, take a Thai speaker with you and have them explain why they can't reissue a license plate that can be service at the Nong Hoi branch.  Honestly, we have Chiang Mai plates on our car and we did all of our licensing at the Lamphun office when we changed from a Red Plate to normal plates. I haven't been to the Nong Hoi branch in a decade.  I did change our motorcycle license from Chiang Mai to Lamphun when we moved here almost a decade ago.  We were never required to go to Chiang Mai to make that change.
I think they are just giving you the run-around 'farang.'  A decade ago I would have recommended hiring my very assertive, non-Thai-like, Thai wife to run your problem by the Thai bureaucrats.  She has a way of getting her way. :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

I'm confused as the plate says Chiang Mai, not Fang

Fang is in Chiangmai, Fang district.

Anyway, there may be an issue with the registration with the person you bought it from.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Yeah rightio said:

G'day @Stubby, sorry no recommendations for a driver, but, which office did you go to?

I've bought two motorcycles and transferred them both at the Nong Hoi branch, without any trouble.

However, the car had to be transferred at the branch out on Hang Dong road.

Thanks, Yeah Rightio. I went to the Chiang Mai-Lamphun Rd, which is for all things motorcycle. They let me check the bike there. For some reason, I had to sit around for 90 minutes whil they prepared a document for the Fang office (sealed).

1 hour ago, connda said:

Go to any of the car rental agencies in Chiang Mai and request to rent a car with a driver.  They will oblige.  The driver shouldn't cost more that about 500 THB or a day's wage.  I've done it before...very easy and convenient. 

That's interesting, Connda. Looking online, I was expecting anywhere from 2,000-4,000 Baht. It's why I decided to ask for experiences/advice in here ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:

Some motorbike repair or motorbike rental shops will be "an agent" for a day to help fill out the paperwork.???? 

I prepared all the paperwork in advance, VocalNeal. In fact, I had too much as they passed too pages of stuff back saying, "No need." Everything else, it seems, is in order.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, novacova said:

Fang is in Chiangmai, Fang district.

Anyway, there may be an issue with the registration with the person you bought it from.

I know Fang is in Chiang Mai, but I'm sure have seen vehicles displaying Fang plates before, but I could be wrong. Regading the second point, it's possible I suppose. I don't know what's in the sealed envelope, but I'm guessing its details of the bike test pass.

1 hour ago, connda said:

Before that, take a Thai speaker with you and have them explain why they can't reissue a license plate that can be service at the Nong Hoi branch.  Honestly, we have Chiang Mai plates on our car and we did all of our licensing at the Lamphun office when we changed from a Red Plate to normal plates. I haven't been to the Nong Hoi branch in a decade.  I did change our motorcycle license from Chiang Mai to Lamphun when we moved here almost a decade ago.  We were never required to go to Chiang Mai to make that change.
I think they are just giving you the run-around 'farang.'  A decade ago I would have recommended hiring my very assertive, non-Thai-like, Thai wife to run your problem by the Thai bureaucrats.  She has a way of getting her way. :thumbsup:

I doubt that, Connda. The girl at the information desk went to confirm her assumption with her superior before informing me of the inconvenience. It is quite an inconvenience, too. But if there's one thing I've learned in Thailand, it's not to let stuff like this eat too far into me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stubby said:

I have found a couple of companies online. But if anyone here has any personal recommendations, please let me know.

If you go to any of the m/c markets in CM, Ruam Chok, Saturday Buffalo market there are people there who do this for a living. Usually they want a couple of hundred baht for driving out of town.

Alternatively,

Don't bother, if you've got the green book you can tax and register it no matter what name is in the book.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

If you go to any of the m/c markets in CM, Ruam Chok, Saturday Buffalo market there are people there who do this for a living. Usually they want a couple of hundred baht for driving out of town.

Alternatively,

Don't bother, if you've got the green book you can tax and register it no matter what name is in the book.

Thanks for the tips BMT. I have toyed with the idea of not bothering, but I'd prefer the bike was in my name. Otherwise, I don't legally own it. Not only that, but should I ever get caught on camera for a traffic offence, the fine will be delivered to the address of the previous owner. That's not really fair.

• Like 1

This is just a quick update in case anyone is interested.

A helpful member here messaged me and said I should contact Red Ride in Chiang Mai. So I did. The owner, Glen, arranged a car and an English-speaking lady driver for me at short notice. The rate was very reasonable. And the 7-hour round trip was a safe and pleasurable experience.

We arrived just before lunch, so there was that awful "Please come back after 2 pm" response, which we used to grab lunch and coffee. The actual process to change the name in the Green Book took less than three minutes, and then we were heading back home.

It's been a bizarre experience, but at least it was a scenic trip void of drama.

Stubby

• Thumbs Up 1