My undiagnosed lung illness

simon43

23 minutes ago, jollyhangmon said:

... best (& fastest) way to thin up & get rid of tough mucus in my experience is steam inhalation, you know like hot water & towel ... long term maybe twice a day?

Yes, I bought a humidifier when I was in England.  It certainly helped with the dry air in my hotel room, but I ended up with loads of black mold growing up the walls lol.  I brought this humidifier back to Thailand and will take it to Myanmar.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, simon43 said:

Concerning a possible food allergy, I do know that drinking red wine worsens my cough, (which is very annoying since I like red wine!).  I suspect that it is the sulphite in the wine that is causing this problem.  So could it be suphites are present in other foods that I eat regularly?

Sulphite  can easily be dealt with by adding one drop of hydrogen peroxide to the wine, which then oxidizes the sulphite to harmless sulphate. Enjoy.

X'rays do not reveal everything in soft tissue, have you thought of having a PET scan?

I have had similar problesm with the coughing up phlegm. Realised it was possibly an allergy to cats, (we were looking after my late mother in laws cats, after she died) ,they lived with another sister next door, but we pay for their food and healthcare. Started using a facemask, and not stroiking the cats,as this releases tiny microbes, and also use anti-histamines, when the cats brush against me. Has been a lot better since I've taken these precautions.

1 hour ago, Don Chance said:

Sounds like asbestos.  Have you been near any ceiling tiles in during life time?

Asbestos would show up on a chest X'ray, it's unmistakable.

The OP has said he does not have shortness of breath, the principal symptom of asbestosis and mesothelioma.

Have you tried the supplement NAC? Do your own research on it, but amongst its many benefits is that it's a "biofilm buster" that breaks down mucus. I imagine it could be beneficial. You can order it online from iHerb and it's not expensive. I have used the NOW Foods brand NAC. A quick search online shows it selling for 440 baht at iHerb. At that price you've nothing to lose!

• Thanks 1

Right now I have started taking 'Glyf' mucus thinner and an antihystamine tablet daily, plus no nuts.  I decided that to avoid all foods with sulphides is nearly impossible unless I survive on a diet of only fresh fruit and vegetables.  Yesterday and today I have less mucus congestion in my lungs, which is encouraging.  I have my usual throat cough, but cough lozenges 'smooth' that out.  I'll keep with the antihystamine to see if that solves the problem.