Moving from AIS to DTAC while keeping existing number

XGM

On 5/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, Ralf001 said:

The forum has a search function..... amazing Thailand !!

https://aseannow.com/topic/697747-port-my-ais-number-to-dtac-how/

Thanks. It is also amazing (with or without exclamation marks) that the current thread already involves more people commenting and sharing their current experiences, discussing types of sims (a point I didn't even think to inquire about) and more - all that, quite a positive outcome (if you don't mind me saying so) of starting this new thread.

By the way, one of the people in the linked thread commented "if the passport number and/or name you provided to DTAC do not make an exact match with what the AIS computer has, the process can (probably will) fail.". That can actually be an issue. In my country, a new passport is being issued (either there or by the embassy here), with a new passport number, when the previous one has expired. My citizen ID number obviously always stays the same, but this number isn't used by authorities in Thailand.

34 minutes ago, XGM said:

My AIS sim is Prepaid. Had it for years. I guess I should just head to a DTAC shop. I just don't want downtime or any mishaps with the transition, these days losing a phone number is a real issue when so many services rely on them for verification.

Try producing the code in the first place. Without it, DTAC cannot help you. If that doesn’t work, your next stop should be a call to the AIS call centre for the MNP code that you need to take to DTAC. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, NextG said:

Try producing the code in the first place. Without it, DTAC cannot help you. If that doesn’t work, your next stop should be a call to the AIS call centre for the MNP code that you need to take to DTAC. 

Do think you are right, but when I moved from Dtac -> AIS, I did not have to go or talk to Dtac, AIS did everything for me and I received SMS from both providers on my number to keep me informed. 

They (both) also notified me in advance that on that day and on that approx time I could swap the SIMS. Down Time was kept to a minimum. 

I also received Sms from Dtac for the following 

- a sms with a link so I could cancel the whole process

- a sms with a promotion that If I cancel I would receive some Gb for internet for free. 

overall a smooth process. 
(however YMMV)

Edited by MJCM
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, XGM said:

By the way, one of the people in the linked thread commented "if the passport number and/or name you provided to DTAC do not make an exact match with what the AIS computer has, the process can (probably will) fail.". That can actually be an issue. In my country, a new passport is being issued (either there or by the embassy here), with a new passport number, when the previous one has expired. My citizen ID number obviously always stays the same, but this number isn't used by authorities in Thailand.

Yeah my passport number changed when I replaced my full passport.

I updated the number on file at AIS, my banks and transport dept (driver licences) after I got my stamps moved new passport.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, XGM said:

AFIK every passport has a unique number, so any change of passport will change the number. 

Also you are correct the ID numbers do not change.

However you are wrong is stating that the authority here does not use an ID number, IF YOU HAVE A THAI ID CARD for that very reason I have changed my registration information for all my bank accounts along with my AIS information using my pink card and, if required, yellow book.

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

AFIK every passport has a unique number, so any change of passport will change the number. 

Also you are correct the ID numbers do not change.

However you are wrong is stating that the authority here does not use an ID number, IF YOU HAVE A THAI ID CARD for that very reason I have changed my registration information for all my bank accounts along with my AIS information using my pink card and, if required, yellow book.

I think he means the citizen ID number from his country, rather than a Thai ID. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, NextG said:

I think he means the citizen ID number from his country, rather than a Thai ID. 

I guessed that that was what he meant, it is not surprising that the only foreign identity document accepted is the passport as the veracity of other documents is far more difficult to verify and so is unnecessary. That was why I made the point, rather strongly, that a Thai ID, pink card, is often or even usually is also accepted so that is an alternative unchanging number.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

I guessed that that was what he meant, it is not surprising that the only foreign identity document accepted is the passport as the veracity of other documents is far more difficult to verify and so is unnecessary. That was why I made the point, rather strongly, that a Thai ID, pink card, is often or even usually is also accepted so that is an alternative unchanging number.

Yes, I referred to the ID from my country, but your reply is actually interesting. In which cases did you experience the pink card being accepted and when wasn't it the case?

1 hour ago, XGM said:

Yes, I referred to the ID from my country, but your reply is actually interesting. In which cases did you experience the pink card being accepted and when wasn't it the case?

I have accounts at 4 banks plus a number of other places including AIS, in general my Thai Pink card has been accepted, on a very few occasions my passport has been requested I don’t remember exactly where, when or why. I have transitioned in most, if not all, places to using my pink card, one incidentally benefit is that the Thai transliteration of my name is now standard 

• Thumbs Up 1