Phuket rent market - WTF!!!

MarkT63

1 hour ago, ChasingTheSun said:

indeed, Phuket does attract many more people than those other places because it’s overall attraction far outweighs its downsides.

Would those attractions include one Bangla Road ????

On 5/14/2023 at 12:00 PM, DrDave said:

I don't recall ever seeing a villa renting for 150,000 or more until just a few months ago. Occasionally I'd see a high-end one for 75-80,000 but even those were quite rare. I'm guessing the villas we're now seeing at 150,000 - 300,000 were previously priced around 60-70,000.

3-400 k is totally normal and has been for many years. Here it starts on 2 mill a month.

https://www.fazwaz.com/villa-for-rent/thailand/phuket?order_by=monthly_price|desc

It’s the Russians and Chinese.  They pay whatever is asked, no questions.  Rent always paid on time.  My wife owns a large number of high end houses in Bangkok.  The renters were all expat senior managers working for international companies.  The houses are now mainly rented to Chinese at twice the price of what they were three years ago.  Also, short term rentals have taken many properties out of the long term rental pool.  The short term rental market generates even better returns.  No surprised in bit with your story/situation.

1 hour ago, chilli42 said:

It’s the Russians and Chinese.  They pay whatever is asked, no questions.  Rent always paid on time.  My wife owns a large number of high end houses in Bangkok.  The renters were all expat senior managers working for international companies.  The houses are now mainly rented to Chinese at twice the price of what they were three years ago.  Also, short term rentals have taken many properties out of the long term rental pool.  The short term rental market generates even better returns.  No surprised in bit with your story/situation.

It's simple supply and demand. If you guys are stunned about those rental rates, come over little red dot. I assure you that phuket rental prices are nothing compared to what's happened here. What's the cause? Recent flight of capital from certain countries. 350,000baht per month is nothing when a bungalow here rents for up to sgd 200,000 monthly. 

This may shock some people so sit down before reading.

Shocked mr bean shocked face GIF on GIFER - by Lahuginn

You don't have to live in Phuket . Thailand is bigger than that small, over rated island.

Do proper research and live somewhere else.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Denim said:

This may shock some people so sit down before reading.

Shocked mr bean shocked face GIF on GIFER - by Lahuginn

You don't have to live in Phuket . Thailand is bigger than that small, over rated island.

Do proper research and live somewhere else.

If you can’t afford Phuket, live somewhere else.

FIFY.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Got a mate who rented his 4 bed sea view Villa slightly North of Kamala to Russians back in October for a year, 500,000thb pcm. He used to just do holiday lets now and again but went long term cos it was such a good offer...

11 hours ago, zzzzz said:

having lived in Phuket since 85, ( except for 2 1/2 years) I would say bangla is not even amongst the list for staying 

Your probably right, but it is always a busy place that is always frequented, I wonder why ?

• 1 month later...

https://thethaiger.com/news/phuket/russians-own-40-of-foreign-owned-condos-in-phuket

That's quite a lot of Russians.

Seems like the Russians are doing the same as the English and Scandinavians did in Spain years back and hunkered down in specific areas.

No wonder the prices are sky rocketing.

Locals not to pleased with it according to Swedish newspaper. Locals quoted saying that the Russians are acting like the new kings of Phuket and have scared away a lot of their regular tourists from Europe.

No idea if that's the case.

• Thanks 1

On 5/30/2023 at 1:30 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Would those attractions include one Bangla Road ????

Not everyone living in Patong or nearby goes to Bangla. The closest I got to it was Junk Ceylon for the usual shopping and parking., There are a lot of nice condos and villas reasonably priced, some very nice hotels and restaurants with scenic views, plenty shopping and the huge double Central not far away. I only left because the weather was too hot and humid for me. Went to Hua Hin for 2 years , good breezy air, but found it too boring and ugly beaches, so ended up in Jomtien where the prom is nice but the seawater disgusting ( as is Pattaya ). Lots of reasonable condos in Jomtien . Must admit Phuket has by far some of the nicest beaches ( apart from the smaller islands that have their own drawbacks). I have the best of friends there, great Thai people I’ve known for 35 years , so I go back for holidays only. ( PS phuket taxis  must be the worst rip off scoundrels in Thailand unfortunately).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Anyone who pays 350,000 baht in rent needs to see a doctor ASAP....A brain doctor needs to do some deep probing to find out why they are so stupid...

350,000 Xs 12  Do the math......You can BUY a ok place for this....

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, geisha said:

Must admit Phuket has by far some of the nicest beaches

If you have transport, yes, Nai Han is one of my favourites, and most beaches along that route are better than swimming at Patong which is disgusting, especially when you see all of the street water and waste run into it at one of the ends of the beach.

14 hours ago, geisha said:

Went to Hua Hin for 2 years , good breezy air, but found it too boring and ugly beaches

Again, unless you have transport, not much to see and do at Hua Hin, apart from shopping centres, but outside of Hua Hin, like Ao Manae Bay down at Prachuap Khiri Khan District which is a good hour and a half drive, is a pretty place, but the drivers on the roads are some of the craziest I have come across around Thailand.

• 1 month later...