Thai beef

ezzra

On 5/15/2023 at 5:04 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

I believe it's what they're fed on. Pork can be tough too. Thais don't know their meat is of such low quality as they have no experience of anything else - unless they go and pay western prices for western quality at Tops.

Australian pork is by and large, smelly and disgusting. Thai pork is a delight by comparison. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Fresh or frozen? 

Frozen.

I don't think there really is fresh; it's all been laying around in a fridge for a week.

And even the "fresh" was frozen and thawed. I caught Makro doing that.

They poured out their "fresh" pork chops in the container......they were all frozen solid. They just thaw there and sell them as fresh

Edited by 2009

34 minutes ago, 2009 said:

Frozen.

I don't think there really is fresh; it's all been laying around in a fridge for a week.

And even the "fresh" was frozen and thawed. I caught Makro doing that.

They poured out their "fresh" pork chops in the container......they were all frozen solid. They just thaw there and sell them as fresh

I am pretty sure the Thai beef in Foodland was chilled until it arrived and never frozen.

Freezing meat doesn't make it better. If I can get good tasting chilled beef or frozen beef, then I prefer chilled, never frozen. 

On 5/15/2023 at 9:18 AM, zzaa09 said:

Any local fresh market carries Thai beef. 

Actually, I've always found Thai beef to be of a superior quality than others. 

Not my experience.

Are you British? I am convinced there is a secret agency in the UK which goes around removing the taste buds of every new-born.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/15/2023 at 5:58 AM, Lemsta69 said:

what about this feted Pon Yang Kham beef? I can't cook to save my life so haven't personally tried it...

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sales-of-pon-yang-kham-beef-spike-after-being-served-at-apec-summit/

We make the trip to Sakon Nakhon several times a year to stock up on Pon Yang Kham Thai beef.  They even have a restaurant on site where you can order different cuts.  And the butcher shop will cut steaks to order.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

There was a foreigner store that sold mignon 280 bht for 250 gr. frozen. Awesome everytime, price has gone to 320 thb for 200 g. C'mon, that's pushing it.

Wait until someone will mention the war in the Ukraine, nowadays it seems to be the excuse for most price hikes everywhere.

On 5/15/2023 at 6:18 AM, zzaa09 said:

Any local fresh market carries Thai beef. 

Actually, I've always found Thai beef to be of a superior quality than others. 

I'm sure the Flies think so too 

With Thai beef, a stainless-steel pressure cooker is your friend.
It tastes fine once you have it softened up.  For those who insist on having their beef rare?  You're gonna have to pony up for the imported cuts, and even then it's iffy. 

Anyway, the pressure cooker works great for making Thai beef palatable enough to use in stews and soups.  These "dairy beef" cuts sells for 99 THB at Makro.  Works dandy for stews or when I feel like giving the dogs a change of diet. 

IMG20230519124829.thumb.jpg.73b917066ecc3c2356721336f88bfd6f.jpg

On 5/17/2023 at 7:39 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I am pretty sure the Thai beef in Foodland was chilled until it arrived and never frozen.

Freezing meat doesn't make it better. If I can get good tasting chilled beef or frozen beef, then I prefer chilled, never frozen. 

And your martinis 'shaken, not stirred?' 

On 5/15/2023 at 1:22 PM, 1FinickyOne said:

I tried the Wagyu a couple of times, I was not impressed. I have found a good pork steak to be much better and cheaper...

Yeah, pork loin has been dropping in price.  It seems fatty cuts like pork belly are what are expensive.  When I can buy an eye of pork loin for less than ground pork?  It's a no-brainer.