Thai beef

ezzra

18 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have given up on Thai beef steak and even some of the readily available import steak.

But I have found some frozen Thai ground beef -- or minced as the Brits say -- can make some reasonable cooked dishes like tomato-style sloppy joe or meatballs for spaghetti. 

I have tried making taco-style beef using ground pork or ground chicken but just not the same.

what about this feted Pon Yang Kham beef? I can't cook to save my life so haven't personally tried it...

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/sales-of-pon-yang-kham-beef-spike-after-being-served-at-apec-summit/

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I have given up on Thai beef steak and even some of the readily available import steak.

But I have found some frozen Thai ground beef -- or minced as the Brits say -- can make some reasonable cooked dishes like tomato-style sloppy joe or meatballs for spaghetti. 

I have tried making taco-style beef using ground pork or ground chicken but just not the same.

I've started buying low end Au beef and making my own ground beef. It's pricey at 300thb for 500g, but after you brown the meat for tacos there's no juice or fat in the pan. I'll never buy minced beef again, The little processor I use cost like 400thb and is just right for a pound.

I use the small wheat tortillas at Makro, grill with butter. Great tacos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I have yet to find any Thai beef which is not tough and tasteless. Maybe it is the climate or pasture.

What worries me, more than anything else, is the chances of getting tapeworms. I already had tapeworms from rare/medium Thai beef. If you must eat Thai beef, cook it well, or freeze it for 24 hours to kill the tapeworm larvae. I wouldn't eat rare or medium Thai beef in a restaurant.

• Confused 2

23 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

What worries me, more than anything else, is the chances of getting tapeworms. I already had tapeworms from rare/medium Thai beef. If you must eat Thai beef, cook it well, or freeze it for 24 hours to kill the tapeworm larvae. I wouldn't eat rare or medium Thai beef in a restaurant.

I eat rare beef (never frozen) regularly since many years in Thailand. Never had a problem.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I eat rare beef (never frozen) regularly since many years in Thailand. Never had a problem.

Well then, aren't you lucky. Maybe you have tapeworms and don't know it. Many people can have tapeworms for years and not know it.

It's a risk (because I did get them) and freezing meat for 24 hours is a simple fix... but the treatment is quick and easy if you do get them. It takes about 2 - 3 months after eating infected meat before you start evacuating proglottids and if you don't examine your stool, you'll miss them, and of course you probably won't have a clue what meat you ate was infected.

Edited by JensenZ

I was referring to a beef with a decent amount of marbling in it, not a wagyu beef level, but some

marbling that makes the steak cook faster and juicier, I'll give Pon Yang Kham beef a go at Thai-French Butchery.

I spent 32 years in the UK  Butchery trade , I think i know what i'm talking about ..Food land was the last place i bought a   Fillet steak, 175b,...  Striploin   i think they  they call it here, that  was  too tough to eat, ( not for my dogs), I asked the guy there  for a Rump steak,  he did'nt know what i was talking  about and yes he spoke some English.

Big C extra has in my opinion the best selection of  Beef mostly  imported, a piece of Fillet steak (imported) there  costs  approx 500b  same size i  bought in Foodland for 175b,  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I have yet to find any Thai beef which is not tough and tasteless. Maybe it is the climate or pasture.

You may as well find decent Thai Beef in Villa. It is expensive, but really good.

I suspect that much of the meats "quality" depends as well on the way Thais treat their animals. This one is about pork and not beef, but may serve as an example: One of the best ham you can have on this planet is from Spain (Pata Negra in various qualities): The pigs there are allowed to walk around freely on a huge ground and are for some time (if not always) fed with nothing but acorn, which is their favourite.

On the other side I have witnessed how pigs had been transferred from one lorry to another in Thailand. And I willl never forget it. They used a digger, used normally to transfer stones or sand, grabbed the pigs like they were construction material and let them fall on the transport surface of the other lorry.

I wonder what they got to eat. That is why pork is so tasteless here. Might be that some of the beef is so tasteless because of the same thing. But as said above, Villa (at least in Pattaya) has excellent Thai beef.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JensenZ said:

Well then, aren't you lucky. Maybe you have tapeworms and don't know it. Many people can have tapeworms for years and not know it.

It's a risk (because I did get them) and freezing meat for 24 hours is a simple fix... but the treatment is quick and easy if you do get them. It takes about 2 - 3 months after eating infected meat before you start evacuating proglottids and if you don't examine your stool, you'll miss them, and of course you probably won't have a clue what meat you ate was infected.

Obviously there is a risk, there is always a risk of something.

I buy all the meat which I eat at home in Foodland. And it seems to me they take care to have a proper cooling chain.

Sometimes I see meat at the fresh market in the open. I never tried it. I don't want to risk it.

• Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Makro sell a range of Thai beef and imported. Invariably have some nice aussie ribeye at reasonable prices.

We purchased some Thai wagyu last week from the local Makro at ฿450 (probably about 0.5kg) and have to say it was top quality.

For meat Makro ressembles a village market - just with a roof. Meat displayed in the open and the smell ???? !!

Even in Big C Extra they have these piles of meat, completely unhygienic if you think of hordes of Chinese Tourists visiting the place. You probably know whow they sometimes behave. Disgusting. On the other hand Villa. In Makro they have as well a meat corner where they sell meat (Australian Tenderloin) sealed in plastic. But it does not look very promising, a lot of blood - just careless. I have tried once one ot these because of the low price. Surprizingly not so good although it is Australian Beef which I regard as the best apart from (real) Wagyu (there are many grades as well - the term has become so familiar that nearly everything is sold as Wagyu). I tried the Top-Quality once in Swtzerland and it was from another world. Not in the category of beef, more on the side of Top-O-Toro, melting in the mouth (even if eaten raw).

Edited by moogradod

Beef Tenderloin? Foodland! 

I think they have a German butcher as manager over all due to the fact that they sell perfect German meatloaf and sausages as well.????

Best Salami also.

I just miss Paprika Lyoner, a good liver paste and a Hungarian Salami. 

Forget TGM in this regards.

7 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

I've started buying low end Au beef and making my own ground beef. It's pricey at 300thb for 500g, but after you brown the meat for tacos there's no juice or fat in the pan. I'll never buy minced beef again, The little processor I use cost like 400thb and is just right for a pound.

I use the small wheat tortillas at Makro, grill with butter. Great tacos.

We use grams here and the rest of the world not “pounds “

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

I was referring to a beef with a decent amount of marbling in it, not a wagyu beef level,

I tried the Wagyu a couple of times, I was not impressed. I have found a good pork steak to be much better and cheaper...

3 hours ago, actonion said:

I spent 32 years in the UK  Butchery trade , I think i know what i'm talking about ..Food land was the last place i bought a   Fillet steak, 175b,...  Striploin   i think they  they call it here, that  was  too tough to eat, ( not for my dogs), I asked the guy there  for a Rump steak,  he did'nt know what i was talking  about and yes he spoke some English.

Big C extra has in my opinion the best selection of  Beef mostly  imported, a piece of Fillet steak (imported) there  costs  approx 500b  same size i  bought in Foodland for 175b,  

Big C Extra before they went Hi-so and EXPENSIVE was fantastic.....

They had good meat at very very reasonable prices....

Now I almost never see anyone buy beef there,I have NEVER not once seen a Thai person buy any of their beef since they went Hi-so....

Edited by redwood1