Grab tips

toast1

37 minutes ago, oxo1947 said:

He is asking what tip do you give them...........

Don't eat yellow snow, if that helps.

I'm so stoned that I misunderstood. Anyway, just took Grab to weed shop and back and price was ฿73 each way and tipped ฿40 each way so ฿226 in total (circa £5.50)

I think that's fair and in the UK I wouldn't get far on the equivalent of ฿73 baht, probably to end of road.

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, at15 said:

LOL what are you doing?? Of course the thais will take the money but they dont understand the concept of tipping, they just think your stupid. Also what does UK have to do with this? try using baht in the UK and let me know how that goes.

I'm not stupid and nothing wrong with tipping.

The UK reference was obvious as I made a comparison on the relative price of UK/Thai taxi fares. 

Let me repeat, an aggregate twenty minute Grab journey (circa £5.50 including tips) in the UK would get me to the end of the road. It's not hard to understand. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Do whatever you want. There is no normal. I prefer to round up to nearest 10 baht.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Drivers, I just round up very slightly. Like to the nearest 10. 

Food delivery about 40 baht (in Bangkok). 

Both interesting points as both posters obviously reside in LoS.

My Thai wife agrees with you (and not me, as I'm probably too generous but I base my calculations on my UK expectations). 

If I lived here, then would probably calm my tipping down a notch or two so ignore my visitor approach, as required. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, torturedsole said:

Both interesting points as both posters obviously reside in LoS.

My Thai wife agrees with you (and not me, as I'm probably too generous but I base my calculations on my UK expectations). 

If I lived here, then would probably calm my tipping down a notch or two so ignore my visitor approach, as required. 

They work for money, not free. Good luck to you if you want to tip more. I like to keep 20 baht notes and offload coins. Im sure they enjoy the bigger tips.

32 minutes ago, at15 said:

LOL what are you doing?? Of course the thais will take the money but they dont understand the concept of tipping, they just think your stupid. Also what does UK have to do with this? try using baht in the UK and let me know how that goes.

Yes they do understand the concept of tipping, I've been here well over 30 years, all that time tips expected in many situations.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, bignok said:

They work for money, not free. Good luck to you if you want to tip more. I like to keep 20 baht notes and offload coins. Im sure they enjoy the bigger tips.

I don't settle cash as I've got my UK credit card attached to Grab. 

Are you okay my friend?

4 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Well, yes, I'm sure a wage is a consideration for the drivers. 

Slightly confused what your point is, though.

The point relates to other people who say don't tip. Every worker wants money. Nothing wrong with tipping if you want.

Just now, torturedsole said:

I'm trying to understand your point and have been reasonable.

I think it's best we don't communicate any longer as life's too short. Take care.

No idea what your issue is. Good luck.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Most Grab drivers want a tip. I caught Grab in a dozen cities. Some didnt even offer then 10 or 15 baht change without asking.

Thais tip in restaurants and massage shops.

You must be new to Thailand. Tipping has been common for many years.

Thais tip millions of baht a year to singers!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bignok said:

In restaurants? Even the bad ones?

No likay, luktung and morlam concerts, seen tens of thousands given to singers at a single concert. Likay singers seem to get the most.

Tho tips not required, I always tip. People work hard and appreciate it. Generally B20 max works fine for either ride or food. For a B50 ride I give B60. B75-90 ride, give B100. Sometimes I give more when when in a really good mood :burp: or driver strikes my fancy Don't overthink it. ANY tip is appreciated. 

10 hours ago, bignok said:

Most Grab drivers want a tip. I caught Grab in a dozen cities. Some didnt even offer then 10 or 15 baht change without asking.

Thais tip in restaurants and massage shops.

You must be new to Thailand. Tipping has been common for many years.

I have lived here many years and spoken to thais in thai. After that big tip they just laugh and ask why farang so stupid. They feel guilty taking money that is not theirs. The only common tipping is unknowing farangs.

Edited by at15

11 minutes ago, at15 said:

I have lived here many years and spoken to thais in thai. After that big tip they just laugh and ask why farang so stupid. They feel guilty taking money that is not theirs. The only common tipping is unknowing farangs.

Millions of Thais tip, yet you are unaware of this even after years.

12 minutes ago, at15 said:

After that big tip they just laugh and ask why farang so stupid

Farang have money. Thai little money. Farang have holiday. Thai no passport.

Who is laughing? The farangs or people who worry about 10 baht?

Farang go Phuket, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Vietnam, Europe Thai go buy Chang Beer, don't know where Europe is.

I wonder who is really happy under the fake laughs. Fake laughs are actually a sign of insecurity. What people laugh at indicates their level of thinking.

I know 2 Grab / Bolt drivers in Pattaya. They don't earn much. They are happy with every additional Satang. Thai customers often don't give anything. But the drivers are always happy when US soldiers are in town because they give a lot.