Dog food, what do you feed your dogs ?

essex boys

Hi all, we have three dogs two were soi dogs and pretty much became ‘tenants’ on the land when we were building the house and finally moved in with us when the house was finished in July last year, the third dog is a pup the result of the two soi dogs having a bit of ‘fun’.

anyway we messed around with different types of food for them, the first being Thai food left overs mixed with leftover rice, they would eat it but they didn’t enjoy it, so we tried buying old chicken bones and scrap meat from the local market, the dogs loved this but we didn’t enjoy chopping up the bones and cooking them and the meat so the dogs could eat it, so now we buy 1KG packs of frozen dog food from Costco they come in various flavours like chicken, beef, lamb and pork these packs are 33 baht each and the dogs like them mixed with a bit of rice so one 1KG bag does the three dogs their breakfast at 7.30am and then dinner at 6pm, I have recently started adding beef or chicken stock to the food and mix it up, the dogs enjoy that, but is there anything else you feed your dogs? That’s relatively cheap

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Probably not cost effective for larger dogs but for our smaller dogs have gone to wet food in ready to eat pouch from SmartHeart and they like many of them.  Easy zip bag and squeeze out with no mess,  Sprinkle some dry food on top which ends up as between meal snack.  One pouch costs 20 baht on Lazada

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

Probably not cost effective for larger dogs but for our smaller dogs have gone to wet food in ready to eat pouch from SmartHeart and they like many of them.  Easy zip bag and squeeze out with no mess,  Sprinkle some dry food on top which ends up as between meal snack.  One pouch costs 20 baht on Lazada

I tried to feed our dogs that, one of them eats it like it’s his favorite food and the other one just comes and smells it and walk away :cheesy:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I tried to feed our dogs that, one of them eats it like it’s his favorite food and the other one just comes and smells it and walk away :cheesy:

Well they have more than a dozen flavors so he might like another - we rejected about 5 that one or both not happy with and have another 5 that both love that order now.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Well they have more than a dozen flavors so he might like another - we rejected about 5 that one or both not happy with and have another 5 that both love that order now.

We tried a couple already the other dog (male) eats them all, but the other one doesn’t. She is more interested in raw meat / pork bone / liver etc etc 

5 minutes ago, MJCM said:

We tried a couple already the other dog (male) eats them all, but the other one doesn’t. She is more interested in raw meat / pork bone / liver etc etc 

We split serving so had to find what they both liked - they seem to like jelly type the best - and they both love Pedigree Dentastix (smokey flavor) so they are at door waiting 0900 every day for that.

• Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, our two chihuahuas get Pedigree "mini" dried food supplemented by the "extra" chicken / rice / veggies / pork that Madam cooks.

I swear that sometimes they eat better than I do ???? 

A few years ago when we had pets in the UK I noticed something about their healthcare and mine. We had many pets over the years. Dogs, cockatiel, ferrets, rats, hamsters of various sizes, gerbils, chinchilla, rabbits, guinea pigs and some I've probably forgotten about. Oh and a terrapin which looks more like a turtle to me which my daughter still has that's moved from a small tank to a big tank and now to a pond I could almost swim in. It's bigger than the turtles I see here. This mostly affected the dogs and ferrets but if there was something worrying us about them we phoned the vet and they would often say "bring it straight in and we'll have a look". I had to get an appointment, at the doctors, not the vet, although even then when the NHS was working better it might have been an option. But then I was going NHS, they were going private.

As for our dogs, the wife does that but it's mostly chicken or fish and rice but we did start using dry food. It was a Thai brand, don't know which but it was in a green and white bag. When we could no longer get that we started using Pedigree food which wasn't too expensive in a 20kg sack from Lotus's. Our dogs are now mongrels of terrier to fat corgi size.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, essex boys said:

but is there anything else you feed your dogs? That’s relatively cheap

How about a postman now and again.

Only joking. I think as has been suggested, just keep varying their diet and figure out which is the most cost effective. I found with my dogs they would ultimately eat anything, but some things with more relish than others.

• Like 1

We have three Labradors, two are big and active. Breakfast is SmartHeart dried food mixed with canned fish. Lunch is a couple of pork or chicken sausages. Dinner is the same as breakfast half the time with one of pork mince, pork bone or pork ribs being served every other day. We don't tend to give them human leftovers, but not for want of begging by them.

Mix it up a bit but the regular component would be kibble, normally get the 10kg/20kg bags from the supermarket, which will last for a good while.

Have to be careful about ants/birds etc and make sure you close the sack securely after use.

This is mostly topped up with our leftovers but occasionally canned food and pouches.

The latter is a bit pricey but easily found at all 7-11s and Lotus's expresses.

Special treats include a deboned 5*chicken and bbq pork, liver and chicken, which they seem to really enjoy. 

Currently feeding my puppy on some kind of frozen (raw) meat mix from the breeder but it takes up too much freezer storage space and is a hassle to remember to defrost, so will probably stop that soon. To be fair my other dogs (including one picky eater) seem to really enjoy it as well but it's just a bit too much of an effort. 

Tried many different flavours and brands over the years

The Males like best all flavour's,

2b513370473c4422326001a0fcba2ad2.png_2200x2200q80.png_.webp

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/party-20-kg-i548484437-s4308882188.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.822de4a3XiRNUY&search=1

830 baht for 20 kg

the females like Pedigree Beef best cost a lot more

Have a bowl under the stairs of both 24/7  + they all wait for tip bits from my meals  ????

9 minutes ago, ignis said:

Tried many different flavours and brands over the years

The Males like best all flavour's,

2b513370473c4422326001a0fcba2ad2.png_2200x2200q80.png_.webp

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/party-20-kg-i548484437-s4308882188.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.1.822de4a3XiRNUY&search=1

830 baht for 20 kg

the females like Pedigree Beef best cost a lot more

Have a bowl under the stairs of both 24/7  + they all wait for tip bits from my meals  ????

Does that contain corn or soy?

I buy a complete set of pigs liver, lungs, kidneys and entrails from an abattoir near my home,

costs virtually nothing direct from them.

I dice it all up, bag it into portions and freeze it.

Thaw it each day and feed my dog with it.. raw.. not cooked.

Dog is fit as a fiddle.. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I buy him  Opla/Purina but my dog only eats it in the evening too but not always because he waits during the day for the succulent dishes that my wife prepares for him (unofficially these are only leftover tables but they are always more large portion than mine) so if he is still hungry in the evening, the Purina suits him well, happy dog life.

I’m a Petfood scientist. What you feed them depends on how much you care to spend. Food scraps are not what’s known in industry as “complete and balanced”. Ok as complementary food. Budget priced food tend to have a fair bit of undesirables to keep the cost down. 
I’ve just launched my own brand after years of working for the big guys. I am thinking of advertising on this site so I can’t say much about it here, nor can I say much about some of the products mentioned here, suffice to say having made some of them I would not feed them to my dog based on my personal preference. 

Edited by AustinRacing
  • Like 1

We give our dog dry kibble mixed with a bit of canned dog food. He's nine years now, so I get the kibble formulated for older dogs. I get different brands of canned food just to mix things up.

Whenever I see Snickers or Mars Bars candies, I'm reminded that Mars also makes Pedigree and Royal Canin dog foods. Somehow that seems to say something.

THe last 2 days on yahoo news , they showed the oldest dog in the world

The dog was 31 years old ! Also they told the dog was eating human food.

So having the same as his owner. Didnt read all of it, but in headlines said.

• Haha 1

I feed my hound in the evening.

A handful of dry dog food then mix in a few spoonsful of cooked OK frozen dog food/left over rice mix which is available in Makro / Big C at ฿46. Also some chopped up cooked chicken breast when I can get it cheap enough.
Dry food is Petzfriend ฿170 x 3kg various flavours. Of course, titbits from meal leftovers and the occasional soft chew stick as a treat. 

Ex-Soi dog, now a faithful house hound and lovebug! 

i didn't know there was a Costco in Thailand and with this being posted in the Isaan forum I have to ask, where is this Costco located?

Not to hijack the thread, we feed our dog dry Pedigree food and occasionally toss him a steak bone.

Royal Canine full time, twice a day. Not cheap, and the prices keep going up, but AFAIK the best brand available here.

In between they sometimes get snacks - vegetables/fruits cuttings (sometimes they even pick their own fruits from the trees, if they can reach them...). 

• Like 1

I have a Chihuahua and feed her Cezar various packs. She also gets Royal Canin dry biscuits which she eats as and when. Raw mixed veg two or three time per week, but she wont touch raw meat.

6 hours ago, essex boys said:

...I have recently started adding beef or chicken stock to the food and mix it up, the dogs enjoy that, but is there anything else you feed your dogs? That’s relatively cheap

Most important is that the dogs enjoys it...????

I've always been told that you shall not give chicken bones to a dog...:whistling:

The dog residents in my house – self movers that decided to stay – are fed for about 20 baht a day per head and the only get one meal in the evenings.

The always get some meat – about 125 gram (they are around 20 kilo dogs) – which can be fried minced chicken or chickens breast with skin – or a can of mackerel in tomato, or a juicy pork bone. It's always served with dry food of the dogs preference, the latter to make them full enough and in theory give them what is needed for a healthy dog. If there are rice left over they might have fried rice with chicken – could occasionally be mixed with an egg – or the mackerel in tomato mixed with rice.

Left overs that might appeal to a dog, are also served – Australian beef is the absolute gourmet preference – and instead of mixing it, I always serve separate dishes for the dogs; i.e. meat and dry-food as two dishes. The dogs loves that, as they otherwise would try to separate mix food themselves and eat the best stuff first. Beef is eaten before chicken or pork, and meat before dry-food; however, one of the dogs actually rate dry-food quite high. Remember to add little bit of oil if the dogs are eating much dry-food.

As dessert they are serve a goodie stick, they will sit nicely and wait for that when finisher their dinner courses. In the morning they are served a small bowl of milk, when I make my coffee with milk; they also sit nice a wait for that while I'm busy making coffee...????