So the election happened -- what do the results mean for the future of "legal" recreational weed?

if it goes medical, there will be a lot of new clinics and 'doctors'. it won't be restricted to the hospitals. in Thailand there is always a way around everything. 300 baht for a medical card at your neighborhood clinic.

there's so much weed in the country right now, it would take a decade to get rid of even half of it. the flower will last a couple years, but the seed stock is immeasurable. seeds were the issue back in the day.

#

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I realize many expats will keep at it if it's made illegal again. But many won't. The lure of the monkey house does not beckon. You may want to comment on that as well. 

No monkey house or deportation for married expats.

Small fine + maybe 90 day wee testing for a year.

That was the way it was before Anutin.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, roietfortress said:

if it goes medical, there will be a lot of new clinics and 'doctors'. it won't be restricted to the hospitals. in Thailand there is always a way around everything. 300 baht for a medical card at your neighborhood clinic.

there's so much weed in the country right now, it would take a decade to get rid of even half of it. the flower will last a couple years, but the seed stock is immeasurable. seeds were the issue back in the day.

#

It depends on how these clinics regulate or are forced to regulate it.

For example you say you have back pain. Then what? Do they force you to buy only high profit oils and or only specific flower strains again with jacked up prices because it's a medical service?

Obviously some legit medical use will still be legal but I'm cynical enough to suspect any new proposed legal controls will be mostly about milking ridiculous profits.

In the current laissez-faire system free market competition is offering bargains for consumers.

Also I wonder if the move forward party position to recriminalize is more about opposition to the politicians that made it legal rather than rational policy.

Thailand really wants to go back to locking up people for weed possession? Really?

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 1

Yes the elections are done but it is far from over.

Many things will happen before a new government will be installed,

the old hands are very reluctant to let go of their power.

As far as weed goes?i think it will be at least tolerated for now because the

government will be very busy with things that really matter.

• Like 1

The problem is, it got stupidly out of hand, now around the Pratumnak area in Pattaya there are over 20 shops in three streets alone, someone is handing out these licences like crazy.

I am a smoker, but hey should be discreet dispensaries with no advertising. It will take time, but I can see it being illegal again

This one might just about get a chance to open, it was not the last time I passed someone is spending a lot of money on 4 run down shop houses

20230502_160735.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It depends on how these clinics regulate or are forced to regulate it.

For example you say you have back pain. Then what? Do they force you to buy only high profit oils and or only specific flower strains again with jacked up prices because it's a medical service?

Obviously some legit medical use will still be legal but I'm cynical enough to suspect any new proposed legal controls will be mostly about milking ridiculous profits.

when California legalized medical 20 years ago, i got my card from my eye doctor for glaucoma. everybody i know had a card, many from their psychiatrist.

if they legalize medical, they will likely make a list of applicable diagnosis, then any doctor who treats that illness/handicap/affliction can prescribe medicine. then its a simple matter of going to any pharmacy and fill it.

#

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I realize many expats will keep at it if it's made illegal again. But many won't. The lure of the monkey house does not beckon. You may want to comment on that as well. 

No one. will go to jail for ganja smoking

• Like 2

I have another guessy theory.

Move Forward represents some pretty radical changes in Thai society.

One of which it wouldn't be prudent to even mention.

So what if their more traditionally conservative campaign position on cannabis was a bit of a ruse.

To the reactionaries it might look like they are not all that much of a threat of progressive change look at their retro cannabis position.

So a sacrificial lamb to win a much larger political goal.

Just a thought.

Edited by Jingthing

On 5/17/2023 at 8:11 AM, Kevin Taylor said:

What does the average thai voter think ? I feel like it's just the vocal minority that want it illegal again. Those people I think would just be shouting about something else if it it weren't for Cannabis. We will see I suppose but for me the last year just proves all the reefer madness stuff was complete rubbish. 

I believe most normal people with jobs, education and families want as most people around the world to be illegal and off the free and open marked. 

it is just common sense.

If people want to smoke in Thailand, it was never a problem, and will never be a problem legalized or not. 

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, stoner said:

how do you explain more and more places around the world legalizing it then ? 

Not because the majority smokes weed. 

The liberation is out of some medical benefits, and not recreational purposes, but most seems to misunderstand that obvious fact.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

That MOU list is a JOKE, and not even a funny one. All "action" verbs and zero meat. I mean a typical M2 class could do a better job. Maybe they're all still inebriated, but not driving hopefully?

The main platform item for MoveForward is noticeably absent, and the rest reads like some sloppily assembled Powerpoint and the end of a typical day of Thai "coprorate brainstorming".

That said, initial responses in the Thai pro-cannabis forums indicates that no one really knows what is meant by item #17, and I doubt any of these MF buffoons know what they mean either.

17) Re-listing of marijuana as cintrolled (sic) substance and introduced laws to regulated beneficial use of cannabis.

Cannabis flower is already a controlled herb. "Re-listing" sounds like it they want to put it back on the Narcotics list? Or maybe they want to make it medical only? Or just more tightly control it. Hopefully someone from MF will step up and clarify the Cannabis "strategy".

Not unlike the Space Shuttle Challenger, this MF-led coalition looked similarly good for 76 seconds.

Edited by bamnutsak

24) Control unruly Farang tourist rigulation (sic). They come here and the next thing you know, we have Sex Tourism and now Cannabis Tourism. Let’s not blame cannabis or sex. Maybe medical sex should be legal but the “other” kind, not so much……….

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

That MOU list is a JOKE, and not even a funny one. All "action" verbs and zero meat. I mean a typical M2 class could do a better job. Maybe they're all still inebriated, but not driving hopefully?

The main platform item for MoveForward is noticeably absent, and the rest reads like some sloppily assembled Powerpoint and the end of a typical day of Thai "coprorate brainstorming".

That said, initial responses in the Thai pro-cannabis forums indicates that no one really knows what is meant by item #17, and I doubt any of these MF buffoons know what they mean either.

17) Re-listing of marijuana as cintrolled (sic) substance and introduced laws to regulated beneficial use of cannabis.

Cannabis flower is already a controlled herb. "Re-listing" sounds like it they want to put it back on the Narcotics list? Or maybe they want to make it medical only? Or just more tightly control it. Hopefully someone from MF will step up and clarify the Cannabis "strategy".

Not unlike the Space Shuttle Challenger, this MF-led coalition looked similarly good for 76 seconds.

If they put it back on the narcotics list it will mean it will be illegal to possess, consume, grow or distribute it again.

A massive step backwards from where we have got to so far imo.

Can see it happening though, they are never any good at managing things properly here.

2 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

it will mean it will be illegal to possess, consume, grow or distribute it again  

I thought thats the reality of todays situation, but it got out of hands from day one without permission and the legal papers to use, grow and distribute? 

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Incorrect.

License required to grow and/or sell.

Nothing related to cannabis is "out of hand". This is the common refrain of the uninformed, and hysterical, anti-cannabis brigade. Could things be better? Yes, of course. It's been almost one year since it became legal (9 June 2022). The market, such as it is and will be, will require at least five years to "normalize".

Methamphetamine (manufacture, distribution, low price, use and abuse) is out of hand.

Show us the the law, and prove Im wrong, and not only call me out as part of the common refrain of the uninformed, and hysterical, anti-cannabis brigade. 

I will be happy to be educated on the law, showing me every shop with weed and tools is legal around Thailand, and eceryone who grow and distributes operate legally. 

Who was supposed to distribute and for what reasons? Show me

• Sad 1

Anutin/MoPH initiated changes via edict/letter, initially removing Cannabis from the Narcotics list, meaning that it was no longer ILLEGAL to grow, sell, possess, consume Cannabis FLower, which became a Controlled Herb.

Late Friday, 11 November 2022 the MoPH (Anutin) replaced existing regulations (not laws) issued on/shortly after initial decriminalization on 9 June 2022.

I have not seen these documents, written in Thai obviously, nor do I understand the mechanisms within the Thai bureaucracy which facilitate such changes.

I can only comment on things reported in the local Thai and English press.

Sales limited to 20 YO or older
Pregnant women cannot consume

Smoking in public where it causes a nuisance is prohibited
Individual growers must register to grow. Plook Ganja
Businesses must register, and be licensed, to grow.
Businesses must be licensed to sell.
No online sales/advertising, no vending machine sales.
Import of seeds requires license
No import of cannabis, there is a "research" loophole.

https://prohibitionpartners.com/2022/11/18/thailand-shapes-its-newly-legal-cannabis-industry-with-latest-restrictions/

You can Google Thailand Cannabis Regulations, for the time period around 12 Nov 2022, through the present, to get a feel for how "in hand" cannabis regulation is. Could it be better? Of course. But it is not "out of hand".

All this was done pending the passage of the Cannabis Control Act in Parliament, the first reading of which passed with ease. Upon siginifcant modifcaiton, the bill was pulled from a second reading perhaps because it would not have passed, or a lack of a quorum.

Edited by bamnutsak
  • Thumbs Up 1