Expelled from Thailand

Earlier today I was expelled from Thailand at the Poipet border crossing because allegedly, my visa had ended on 12th May 2023. The reason the lady determined i was there illegally and the reason for expelling me is because of the  line under the 6th line on my Triple entry E Tourist Visa stating "Date of grant" 12/11/22, which states "Visa must be used by" with the date next to it being 12th MAy 2023!

Obviously the date to be used by line, following the date of grant line, is the date by which you must begin to use the visa by. Anyone with an IQ above 10 could deciipher this but not this particular official. I attmepted to explain this in English, that didnt work, then i translated it to Thai on my phone. After some respectful back and fourth she just snapped well you have overstay. So, that was that.

I asked how do i get back to get my stuff which is in Bangkok? You must go back to Cambodia and fly into Thailand.Presumably, I get a visa on arrival?

Although what will the expulsion stamp in my pp do to my chances of getting one of those now?

Iknow Poipet is a haven for stroppy over excuberant officials but Is it worth trying another land boarder?

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I should mention. I use the word expelled and expulsion because it was what is mentioned on the form i had to sign before they did it. I believe it was a TM 35 but searching doesnt provide any info on the form.

<<<< Downloadable attachment containing personal information has been edited out >>>>

Further clarification of my interpretation of my visa from the Canberra Thai immigration officeFAQ

https://canberra.thaiembassy.org/f-a-q/

Q: What is the different between the visa validity and the period of stay?

A:Visa validity is the period during which a visa can be used to enter Thailand.  It is displayed on the visa sticker.  In general, the validity of visa is 3 months, but in some cases, visas may be issued to be valid for 6 months or 1 year. The period of stay is granted by an immigrant officer upon arrival at the port of entry and in accordance with the type of visa.  It is displayed on the arrival stamp. Travellers who wish to stay longer than such period may apply for extension of stay at the Immigration Offices in Thailand.

Q:I understand from what is written on the visa sticker that the visa is valid for 3 months. Does it mean that I can stay in Thailand for 3 months with my tourist visa?

A:No, that is not a correct understanding.  The 3 months validity of the visa means that you must use it within 3 months from the date of issue.   The period of stay will be determined by the type of your visa.  Your visa sticker does not show the period of stay because it will be granted by an immigration officer upon your arrival to Thailand.  In general, the period of stay for a tourist visa is not exceeding 60 days and for a non-immigrant visa is not exceeding 90 days from the arrival date.  If you stay in Thailand more than the period which granted, you will be fined 500 Baht for each day of your overstay.

8 minutes ago, sefwrwyju7lo6 said:

I should mention. I use the word expelled and expulsion because it was what is mentioned on the form i had to sign before they did it. I believe it was a TM 35 but searching doesnt provide any info on the form.

I have attached my visa also.

e-Visa_F0076109.pdf 273.04 kB · 9 downloads

Need to see your permission to stay stamp in passport 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

I think you are wrong and the immigration official is correct. After 12th May you cannot enter the country with that visa. Looks like it was valid for 60 day stays and use within 6 months.

You are right on the expired visa, but then they should have let him in visa exempt 

• Like 1

OP had a tourist visa from Australia which can only be a single entry 60 day stay visa 

What was your date of entry to Thailand as you then should have left within the 60 days allowed by the tourist visa (or got the allowed 30 day extension). As you said IO indicated you were on overstay I assume you stayed longer than the 60 days allowed by your visa

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Confused 2

Not sure whether this still applies, but expulsion used to mean you're barred from re-entry for 3 months upwards depending on length of overstay.

Leaving your stuff in Thailand is always precarious; I have a 10 year visa but I still have a contingency plan in case I get chucked out for some trumped-up reason.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry missed important details.

More details on extentions confirmed/stamped via immigration BKK.

General point on Evisa. It was a triple entry with the same layout as every other tourist visa i have had from Thailand and other countries. That is, the expiry noted on the visa comes after the granted date. IT is stating the persiod before which you must inititate the visa not when the visa ends. How could immigration know this when  extensions of the 60 day periods could be excercised?

The visa is multiple entry, triple entry. 60 days per entry not including option to extend, giving 90 days. Extensions were granted both times thus far with immigrationin BKK viewing my tourist visa which is seperate, i.e. not printed in PP. This entry would be my final entry. Final 60 days with option to extend. As i see it:

I landed nov = 1st entry

Nov to Jan = 1st 60 days + extension 30 days from JAn to feb =1 period of stay

I leave reenter in FEb = 2nd entry. Stamped as such.

Feb to Apr = 2nd 60 days + extension 30 days Apr to May =2nd period of stay.

I leave then re-enter(so i thought) in MAy for final 60 day period with option to extend. Not happening now.

If confusin please ask. Thanks

• Confused 3

7 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

OP had a tourist visa from Australia which can only be a single entry 60 day stay visa 

What was your date of entry to Thailand as you then should have left within the 60 days allowed by the tourist visa (or got the allowed 30 day extension). As you said IO indicated you were on overstay I assume you stayed longer than the 60 days allowed by your visa

I think the over stay issue would depend on when he entered Thailand originally, should have been given 60 days permission to day from date of entry, when he exited Thailand this voided his permission to stay unless he had a re-entry permit, and not even sure in his position if you could get a re-entry permit

Obviously, whatever i think regarding whether it was fair or not is practically irrellevant at this point. How do you think immigration upon re-entry by air with a VoA will treat me?  AS far as i can see i haven't been deported but refused entry and told to come back in via air and get a new visa? Thanks

6 minutes ago, sefwrwyju7lo6 said:

Sorry missed important details.

More details on extentions confirmed/stamped via immigration BKK.

General point on Evisa. It was a triple entry with the same layout as every other tourist visa i have had from Thailand and other countries. That is, the expiry noted on the visa comes after the granted date. IT is stating the persiod before which you must inititate the visa not when the visa ends. How could immigration know this when  extensions of the 60 day periods could be excercised?

The visa is multiple entry, triple entry. 60 days per entry not including option to extend, giving 90 days. Extensions were granted both times thus far with immigrationin BKK viewing my tourist visa which is seperate, i.e. not printed in PP. This entry would be my final entry. Final 60 days with option to extend. As i see it:

I landed nov = 1st entry

Nov to Jan = 1st 60 days + extension 30 days from JAn to feb =1 period of stay

I leave reenter in FEb = 2nd entry. Stamped as such.

Feb to Apr = 2nd 60 days + extension 30 days Apr to May =2nd period of stay.

I leave then re-enter(so i thought) in MAy for final 60 day period with option to extend. Not happening now.

If confusin please ask. Thanks

your multiple entry availability expired on the expiration date of your visa which was May 12th, any other border crossing and you would have been given a 30 day visa exempt entry stamp

• Like 2

Just now, marin said:

seems to me it was multiple entry valid for 6 months. If he had left on the 11th he would be fine and gotten the last two month entry. But it expired. My two cents worth anyway.

Your two cents is correct. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

OP how did you get a triple entry tourist e-visa from Australia when Australia don't do e-visa and tourist visa are single entry 60 day only? (You referenced Canberra office)

ITs not from Australia its from the UK. I posted the link to canberra as i am searching to understand better the details of evisas to confirm/reject my point on what the use by date means on an evisa and it came up.

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Your two cents is correct. 

How do extensions fit into this? Why do they offer extensions/what is the point of an extension if it doesnt extend your period of entry?  I have 60 days per entry i extend by 30, but, that 30 eats into the days permitted in the tourist visa? Doesnt make sense to me. In that case it doesnt extend anything.Why didnt they bring it up the previous times at immigration including the border? Thanks

• Confused 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, terryq said:

Why you were not offered visa exempt I do not know, did you actually ask for visa exempt when visa entry was rightfully refused?

Your post is correct.

Regarding the visa exempt entry not being on offer was just typical from PoiPet crossing.

If he for example been entering friendship bridge ...would not have an issue.