I've had a brilliant idea -Barclays are closing my UK account as I am non-resident - why don't I tranfer my pension payments to a UK credit card?

9 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I didn't have that option. Sooner or later these phony addresses will catch up with people. It's FRAUD basically

P.S. I work for a bank

image.png.b7e852182c2f17dd32162cc221ab3ec8.png

There's a lot of different jobs at a bank, you clearly don't know what fraud is:

No financial gain = no fraud.

Edited by ukrules
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, ukrules said:

There's a lot of different jobs at a bank, you clearly don't know what fraud is:

I clearly do because I get KYC and AML training every year. You are trying to evade this.  I choose not to - because I will lose my job if I do. 

Edited by nglodnig

Let's be clear - all the clever mechanisms people are using to maintain a FAKE UK address are under scrutiny - for example, you need to provide utility bills with your name and address on it. Maybe you haven't been asked yet but I imagine you WILL be. Jest sayin....

Edited by nglodnig
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Let's be clear - all the clever mechanisms people are using to maintain a FAKE UK address are under scrutiny - for example, you need to provide utility bills with your name and address on it. Maybe you haven't been asked yet but I imagine you WILL be. Jest sayin....

It's my mothers house at the moment, one day it will be mine, I could easily swap one of those bills into my name if I wanted. I have very legitimate ties to this property and it is my official UK residence.

9 minutes ago, ukrules said:

my official UK residence

In which case you are in the clear. I however do not have this option so I am pursuing the course of action I have been describing. 

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:
6 hours ago, ukrules said:

At what point did you make the big mistake of telling your bank that you had an address outside the UK?

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

About 25 years ago - when it was not possible to maintain a UK address legitimately.

P.S. there are several methods of maintaining a UK address FRAUDENTLY but I chose not to go down that route.

So how do account for the many folks, including me, who have come onto this forum and told us that they DO provide their bank with their overseas address as their registered address @ukrules?

I have spent half my working life and all of my retirement in foreign parts. I have always informed my banks (various) of my current oversea address and have never, ever had any issues. Indeed before the days of internet banking it was the only way one could operate ones account.

Bankers T & Cs will state (in various ways) that: 'Your registered address must be one at which we can readily contact you'. So those who try to hide their true whereabouts by giving a false UK address are actually in breach of that requirement.

Banks do not arbitrarily close the accounts of clients with a foreign address and never have done.

34 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Banks do not arbitrarily close the accounts of clients with a foreign address and never have done.

I'm intrigued as to what actually triggers the banks to close our accounts? Last year I opened a couple of accounts with the new neo banks whilst I was in UK. Chase say; 'If you're moving abroad, it sadly means that we won’t be able to keep you as a customer. Our bank only operates in the UK'. They can tell that everytime I access their APP I'm doing so from Thailand. Plus, their debit card is being used physically and on-line solely in Thailand. The address upon my account is my house in UK. I gave them my UK virtual mobile telephone number. It will be interesting to see if anything happens and, if so, how long it takes. 

2 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm intrigued as to what actually triggers the banks to close our accounts? Last year I opened a couple of accounts with the new neo banks whilst I was in UK. Chase say; 'If you're moving abroad, it sadly means that we won’t be able to keep you as a customer. Our bank only operates in the UK'. They can tell that everytime I access their APP I'm doing so from Thailand. Plus, their debit card is being used physically and on-line solely in Thailand. The address upon my account is my house in UK. I gave them my UK virtual mobile telephone number. It will be interesting to see if anything happens and, if so, how long it takes. 

Use WISE between your UK bank and Thailand Bank.

No need for your UK debit card to be used at all.

Pay for everything with your Thai debit card + sa-kan QR/promptpay.

My UK bank sees ZERO foreign transactions.

• Thanks 1

On 5/23/2023 at 2:59 AM, London Lowf said:

Is the account number "00000000"? My Halifax card is with the card # as the reference, and maybe that would ring the alarm bells at DWP.

When you call, make sure that your phone is fully charged! I phoned them earlier today, but not the international section.

Why would it ring alarm bells? 

53 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm intrigued as to what actually triggers the banks to close our accounts?

I'm pretty sure that the customer does know, but they don't actually reveal it. An unauthorized, or even in some cases an authorized overdraft could well be the trigger in a lot of cases.

Strictly speaking, in most cases they are not permitted if one lives overseas.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Use WISE between your UK bank and Thailand Bank.

No need for your UK debit card to be used at all.

Pay for everything with your Thai debit card + sa-kan QR/promptpay.

My UK bank sees ZERO foreign transactions.

Good advice thanks. I was using my Chase UK debit card because of the 1% cash back on spending. Until I had that I was using my Santander, Halifax and Zopa credit cards and still do occasionally just to keep them alive.   

5 hours ago, Delight said:

The UK pension service will pay your State pension directly into your Thai bank account.

No! Never! What an idea! ???? Who would ever have thought that! etc..etc..,

I am FULLY aware of that but want the money paid into a UK GBP account. 

Edited by nglodnig