I've had a brilliant idea -Barclays are closing my UK account as I am non-resident - why don't I tranfer my pension payments to a UK credit card?

As I said, just an idea. I will phone UK International state pensions tomorrow to see if they can pay into a UK credit card account in my name. I'll keep people posted (if you're interested). So far I have tried all the major banks to see if I can open an offshore current account - yeah sure, if you've loadsa money and will keep it with us. Thanks, but no thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bank accounts your pension can be paid into

Your State Pension can be paid into:

• a bank in the country you’re living in
  • a bank or building society in the UK

An interesting idea but, looking at the above, I'm not sure it will work. Let us know how you get on.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

hey need Sortcode & account number)

I HAVE this, and need to supply a reference which is my credit card number. Credit cards supply sort code/account number for payments. You need to supply the CC number as reference.

Edited by nglodnig

Is the account number "00000000"? My Halifax card is with the card # as the reference, and maybe that would ring the alarm bells at DWP.

When you call, make sure that your phone is fully charged! I phoned them earlier today, but not the international section.

Edited by London Lowf

2 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

Which Bank do you have Sort Code / Account number for & which country is the registered address?

Do you want my mothers maiden name too? ???? I have a UK credit card with a sort code and account number. I will see if I can pay into this.

So your Barclays account is registered to a non-UK address? 

Er - yeah... that is why it is being cancelled..... must be late in the day in Thailand....  or early depending on your point of view.

5 minutes ago, freedomnow said:

OP you sound like a surly teenager when you answer people trying to help you..on each answer almost.

Well they are pretty obvious questions which I have already answered in my posts above. And to be really brutally honest, I am not asking for help. I am informing interested people what my plan is and will inform this thread if it works. The clue was in the title of this thread - Barclays closing account because of non-residence in the UK.  So questions like: do you have a address not in the UK are let's be honest a tad superflous. But thank you for your interest.

• Sad 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

12 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Yes an address outside the UK which is why Barclays are closing the account.

Again, I’m just trying to help, IIRC when I opened my Wise account in the UK (had moved to Thailand & my account with them was previously registered in Singapore) I just needed my passport & 1 proof of address so maybe your UK Credit Card address (assuming it’s registered to a UK address) will do. 

If you have nothing registered to a UK address then maybe you can have your pension paid directly to your Thai Account (State Pension definitely, Private Pension obviously depends on you Pension company but you can’t be the only person on their books who doesn’t live in the UK so you would hope they have a way of handling it).

I very much doubt that paying it to a Credit Card will work but good luck with it & hope you find a solution that works for you 

Edit: I see from post above you’re not living in Thailand, but hopefully your pension provider can pay it to your local bank account. 

Edited by Mike Teavee

I very much doubt that paying it to a Credit Card will work but good luck with it & hope you find a solution that works for you 

I have a couple of accounts in other countries  they can pay into but I am trying to avoid bank charges for int'l money transfer. If I pay into my UK credit card and use that in Thailand it will incur minimal fees. Thanks for looking into this, I wasn't being intetionally surly it's just I've been on this and another thread for some time and keep getting asked the same questions. My apologies if I seemed abrupt.

2 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

I have a couple of accounts in other countries  they can pay into but I am trying to avoid bank charges for int'l money transfer. If I pay into my UK credit card and use that in Thailand it will incur minimal fees. Thanks for looking into this, I wasn't being intetionally surly it's just I've been on this and another thread for some time and keep getting asked the same questions. My apologies if I seemed abrupt.

No worries, hope you find something that works for you & (without banging a drum) Wise are a good solution in a lot of countries with pretty decent fees / exchange rates when it comes to moving it to a local currency ????????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Do you want my mothers maiden name too? ???? I have a UK credit card with a sort code and account number. I will see if I can pay into this.

Be prepared to be disappointed.

This from my CC terms and conditions:

6 Payments to your account

1. You must allow enough time for your payment to reach your account by the payment due date and for it to clear. Please see your statement for details.
  2. You must not deliberately make payments that put your account in credit.

I think you will find that my provider is by no means unique.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Thanks I will look into that.

I’m not sure if you’ve seen this thread but interesting post from a BM about using a UK mail forwarding address for his UK Bank Account & how he didn’t need any proof of address to switch to it…

Edited by Mike Teavee
Updated link

3 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Well they are pretty obvious questions which I have already answered in my posts above. And to be really brutally honest, I am not asking for help. I am informing interested people what my plan is and will inform this thread if it works. The clue was in the title of this thread - Barclays closing account because of non-residence in the UK.  So questions like: do you have a address not in the UK are let's be honest a tad superflous. But thank you for your interest.

I

have

zero

interest.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1