Non Immigrant Visa (over 60 days) from the UK - e-visa stupid question / cannot get past it

I'm not married to a Thai anymore but I want to visit for 68 days which means I need a visa and before you ask, I would rather simply not have to extend a tourist visa.

There is a non immigrant visa option which suits my purpose but one of the questions that must be answered or you cannot submit is this:

9 . The letter from your spouse indicated that you both are still married and he/she acknowledges of your visit.

But there is no spouse and I am not married.

So I went back and fiddled with the marriage options but as the form was designed by an illiterate clown and never tested, it assumes everyone applying for a non immigrant visa is married to a Thai.

I'm travelling with my teenage daughter, which satisfies the visa requirements but I cannot get past this stupid question.

Any ideas ?

Question "9" is not on the list I got back from an e-mail enquiry at the start of May. I'm also traveling with teenage Thai National (son)

Please gather all the required documents before starting your application

1)

You may apply for a Non-Immigrant O visa if you are married to a Thai national, or have a Thai citizen child (with your name as a father on the birth certificate), For a dependent for your spouse/children as you're going to work in Thailand (Non-Immigrant B) as a Non-Immigrant O staying with your family it will be single entry only. (Please do not submit multiple entries)The visa fee is not refundable.

Please see the documents required, please follow the steps below.

Non-Immigrant Type O (Visiting or staying with applicant's family residing in Thailand single Maximum stay of 90 days/ 3 months validity) or Multiple (Maximum stay 90 days per entry/validity for 1 year)

A list of documents

1.  Passport or travel document with validity, not less than 6 months, and at least 2 blank pages

2.  Your recent photo (selfie is acceptable)

3.  Marriage certificate / Birth Certificate 

4.  Spouse's Thai ID card/passport

5.  Financial evidence showing savings of not less than £10,000 for multiple entry visa, or £1,000 for single entry, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month 

6.  Proof of residency e.g. council tax bills, driving license

7. Travel history in the last 1 year- please upload a page of your passport with a visa stamp, or a blank page if not travelled in the past year

8. Photo of the applicant holding his/her passport

9. Your flight and accommodation (hotel booking for the first few days will be acceptable) details

If your sure it is not required, what we do on one of the tourist visa questions, (for single entry) is to type out "Not thought required for the visa requested" make that into a .jpg image, upload it, and it let's you proceed. The templates for the supporting docs, seems to be for a group of visas rather being exactly specific to the one selected perhaps.

my simple take on your issue is to come in on a tourist 30 day, extend it for another 30 days, then you have the grace period of 7 days in both instances, ie. apply for 30 day extension 1 at say 34 days then get your extension. show up at airport for departure and there should be no issue.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Soondae said:

my simple take on your issue is to come in on a tourist 30 day, extend it for another 30 days, then you have the grace period of 7 days in both instances, ie. apply for 30 day extension 1 at say 34 days then get your extension. show up at airport for departure and there should be no issue.

Departing with a four-day overstay will mean a 2,000 baht fine (500 baht per day) and an overstay on your immigration history which, while not a big immediate problem, could be held against you in the future.

You do have the option of applying for a second extension of your visa exempt entry (paying 1,900 baht) which will be denied, but you are given seven days to leave the country. That can be useful, on occasion, but there ought to be better alternatives with forward planning.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, UKresonant said:

5.  Financial evidence showing savings of not less than £10,000 for multiple entry visa, or £1,000 for single entry, e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, for at least 1 month 

I recently did a 90 day single entry based on marriage and the financial requirement was listed as 10,000.

3 hours ago, Soondae said:

Did you not read that I don't want a tourist visa or visa waivers or extensions ?

9 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I recently did a 90 day single entry based on marriage and the financial requirement was listed as 10,000.

Yes, so when you got your version of question 9 which needs to be completed i.e. mandatory, you could have put the letter from your spouse.

My question is not about financial requirements.

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Departing with a four-day overstay will mean a 2,000 baht fine (500 baht per day) and an overstay on your immigration history which, while not a big immediate problem, could be held against you in the future.

You do have the option of applying for a second extension of your visa exempt entry (paying 1,900 baht) which will be denied, but you are given seven days to leave the country. That can be useful, on occasion, but there ought to be better alternatives with forward planning.

Absolutely shocking "advice".

Was I not clear, that the hurdle is Q 9 on the stupid online system and not looking for an illegal dodge ?

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, UKresonant said:

Question "9" is not on the list I got back from an e-mail enquiry at the start of May. I'm also traveling with teenage Thai National (son)

If your sure it is not required, what we do on one of the tourist visa questions, (for single entry) is to type out "Not thought required for the visa requested" make that into a .jpg image, upload it, and it let's you proceed. The templates for the supporting docs, seems to be for a group of visas rather being exactly specific to the one selected perhaps.

This is not a list, it is a mandatory question on their website.

It is required as it is mandatory but in the way they ask it, there is no way to answer it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SGD said:
1 hour ago, stubuzz said:

Yes, so when you got your version of question 9 which needs to be completed i.e. mandatory, you could have put the letter from your spouse.

My question is not about financial requirements.

There was no question about flights on my application, but my accommodation was given in my invitation letter.

I've not got to the application yet still getting a few supporting docs together. Will register on the e system shortly, and have a look soon.

If your going on the basis of your Daughter for the Visa, just get her to write a note and copy her Thai passport on the same page perhaps, and upload that perhaps? 

Once registered I'll maybe spot something once I'm in, I also don't wish to have to go to an immigration office!  Just waiting on the posty hopefully with the second last thing I need for the supporting docs.. 

Are you flying soon or waiting on the school holidays like us.  ????

3 hours ago, UKresonant said:

I've not got to the application yet still getting a few supporting docs together. Will register on the e system shortly, and have a look soon.

If your going on the basis of your Daughter for the Visa, just get her to write a note and copy her Thai passport on the same page perhaps, and upload that perhaps? 

Once registered I'll maybe spot something once I'm in, I also don't wish to have to go to an immigration office!  Just waiting on the posty hopefully with the second last thing I need for the supporting docs.. 

Are you flying soon or waiting on the school holidays like us.  ????

Daughter finishes school mid June so flying for the whole summer.

1 hour 35 minutes on hold this morning to the UK Embassy without getting through. Another 37 minutes and counting as I write now. Absolute joke.

I design online forms and information gathering questions and you need to be so careful not to create a loop from which there is no way back, forward or out and this is exactly what their online system has done.

I can prepare anything except the stupid letter they list as mandatory. Perhaps a picture of a Ouija board might suffice ?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, SGD said:

I can prepare anything except the stupid letter they list as mandatory. Perhaps a picture of a Ouija board might suffice

When I applied for my METV there were a lot of slots requesting upload of documents  that weren't relevant to a tourist visa. In these cases I just uploaded an image of a white background with the text "Not Applicable" in big letters.

• Thumbs Up 2

as JayClay said, write out an explanation for Q9 as you posted, sign & date it then upload it

- as long as they have a response you will prob find it all goes well, I last year had to upload similar for a SETV (some of the Qs related to METV only) so for these uploaded written statement Non-applicable for SETV (my visa was granted no probs, this was in UK via London embassy a year ago) Good Luck

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, SGD said:

Absolutely shocking "advice".

Was I not clear, that the hurdle is Q 9 on the stupid online system and not looking for an illegal dodge ?

Listen to you Mr Angry. @BritTim always gives sound advice. What he has suggested is not an illegal dodge. Are you sure the problem is not with you? Have you applied on the correct visa section? These online applications are generic and not all sections are applicable. A simple explaination or an upload of a relevant document will suffice. Your rant and calling the form stupid just shows what type of person you are and why you are no longer married. Chill out or you will have a heart attack.

• Thumbs Up 2

9 hours ago, balkmup said:

Is it mandatory that an application for this type of visa needs a letter from the spouse?

Or is it mandatory that the answer space on the web form for Q9 needs completing ?

The space on the e-visa needs something uploaded to move on with the application.

The letter from spouse was not required previously and was not on the email list from the Embassy to me at the start of May.

I've got the wife to send an email with a one liner stating yes still married and she is aware of my trip [arrival date on air ticket] along with the son, and her contact e-mail.

If I were asking for the visa, on the basis of my son, travelling with me, I would just word something to that effect and maybe put his picture holding his Thai Passport / air ticket and edit together as one image file, upload that in that space...

I'm trying to remember if the supporting docs takes PDFs as the financial thingy may be difficult to fit on one page (first e-visa I've don for myself), will get to page 4 soon or look at one of Dad's old ones (he'll be getting on the plane BKK to come back in 30 mins time, may enjoy the Scottish climate due to the heat out there????

Edited by UKresonant

On 5/23/2023 at 11:10 PM, JayClay said:

When I applied for my METV there were a lot of slots requesting upload of documents  that weren't relevant to a tourist visa. In these cases I just uploaded an image of a white background with the text "Not Applicable" in big letters.

Ditto for me at LA consulate. Although I went through some different issues.  It seems like they are trying to discourage visitors to the Kingdom.  At least they were fairly responsive to the issues.

Well I've use 3 .PDFs out of 13 uploads, they appeared to have uploaded ok, will see the result.  asked for a single entry but ideally would need a multi Non-O again in a couple of years time, when the wee boy finishes high school. 

Support Document (.jpg .jpeg .PDF file, Limit Size is 3MB)

Edited by UKresonant

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 5:09 AM, jimn said:

Listen to you Mr Angry. @BritTim always gives sound advice. What he has suggested is not an illegal dodge. Are you sure the problem is not with you? Have you applied on the correct visa section? These online applications are generic and not all sections are applicable. A simple explaination or an upload of a relevant document will suffice. Your rant and calling the form stupid just shows what type of person you are and why you are no longer married. Chill out or you will have a heart attack.

Yeah, sound advice to overstay !

"Departing with a four-day overstay will mean a 2,000 baht fine (500 baht per day) and an overstay on your immigration history which, while not a big immediate problem, could be held against you in the future."

Visa approved.

Back and forth a bit on email.

They wanted the kid's passport put in multiple sections and they couldn't understand that the kid might actually be in the UK with me already but hey ho.

Uploaded bank statements but they wanted another one showing £1000+ for a single entry (original was £50k+ uploaded so no idea why they wanted another one).

You get the feeling like you do in all Thai administration scenarios, that they don't really know what they are doing but that they all want someone else to say it is ok or to sign it off as they don't want any responsibility.

My advice is to apply well ahead of their 15 days suggestion, at least a month I'd say.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SGD said:

Yeah, sound advice to overstay !

"Departing with a four-day overstay will mean a 2,000 baht fine (500 baht per day) and an overstay on your immigration history which, while not a big immediate problem, could be held against you in the future."

What are you on about, I didnt offer advice to overstay. Where did you gey that from?

On 5/23/2023 at 4:21 PM, BritTim said:

When you are not able to meet the eVisa requirements for the 90-day Non Imm O Visa (although it looks that with a Thai dependant daughter that that should not be a problem), you have 2 alternative options but those require at least 1 visit to a local Imm Office:

#1 - Apply for the 60-day Tourist Visa, and in the last 2 weeks of your Permit to stay as stamped in your Passport by Thai border-immigration on entry, then apply at any local Imm Office for a 30-day extension (costs 1.900 THB and is delivered on the spot).

#2 - As BritTim suggested: Enter Thailand VisaExempt (without a Visa) which will provide you with a 30 day Permit to stay.  In the last 2 weeks of your Permit to stay then apply at any local Imm Office for a 30-day extension (the 30 days will be simply added to the expiry date of your Permit to stay, so no need to wait till last days).  Two or 3 days before the Expiry of that extension provided Permit to stay (at day 57 or 58 of your stay in Thailand) then apply again at a local Imm Office for another 30-day extension.  That will NOT be provided as you are only allowed ONE extension when having entered on a Tourist Visa or VisaExempt, but when you explain that your flight is booked for day 64 of your stay in Thailand, Immigration can provide you with a 7-day Permit to leave the country (cost 1.900 THB).  That's a fully legit procedure and you will not be on overstay. You are correct that overstay should be avoided as it can jeopardize your future applications or you could even be detained when being stopped by Thai police while on overstay.

Edited by Red Phoenix