My 52k medpark visit

Celsius

29 minutes ago, grain said:

Sounds like they gave you a barium enema, a test that helps to see the large bowel more clearly on an X-ray.

I think he had a CT (which is what he demanded) with rectal contrast media. Not unusual. He certainly did not just have a BE xray.

43 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I am not clear what the purpose of your post is. Are you complaining about the cost?

Not complaining at all. Was very happy with the outcome and the price. My point is that the price I paid at MedPark is probably similar what one would pay for some run down private hospital. 

I disgree a little about hospitals. The point was that MedPark is a very new hospital, so the equipment and tools used would be top notch. Also it is very clean. It sometimes makes a bit of a difference in the quality of overall care.

Previously (a year ago) I had the same pain. Went to a certain private hospital with pee test and ultrasound and they did not find a thing. Also I was insured and still paid almost 10k out of my pocket. This time I insisted on a CT scan and am happy I did so because there are few other things that worried me, not just the pain.

I was not aware about rectal contrast. This is what took me a bit by surprise, so I tried to make my post a bit humorous. That is all.

Edited by Celsius
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Sheryl

I got prescribed 3 meds. Paikiller which I did not take as the pain stopped. Rowatinex which is for kidney stones and Tamsulosin for I don't know what because I did not have problem urinating or have enlarged prostate. My only diagnosis was very small kidney stones.

Been talkingTamsulosin for almost a week before sleep and noticed I have retrograde ejaculation. I mean nothing comes out no matter how hard I try ????????. I read that this is somewhat common side effect, but as I have still one week to go I don't know if there would be any long term effects. I really don't know why I was prescribed this at all. Is this another case of overprescribing medication for nothing or am I wrong?

2 hours ago, Celsius said:

@Sheryl

I got prescribed 3 meds. Paikiller which I did not take as the pain stopped. Rowatinex which is for kidney stones and Tamsulosin for I don't know what because I did not have problem urinating or have enlarged prostate. My only diagnosis was very small kidney stones.

Been talkingTamsulosin for almost a week before sleep and noticed I have retrograde ejaculation. I mean nothing comes out no matter how hard I try ????????. I read that this is somewhat common side effect, but as I have still one week to go I don't know if there would be any long term effects. I really don't know why I was prescribed this at all. Is this another case of overprescribing medication for nothing or am I wrong?

The  tamsulosin is to aid in passing the stones. Although not having trouble peeing now you might if/as the stones pass...as well as considerable discomfort. The tamsulosin helps avoid or reduce that. The retrograde ejaculation is temporary and will stop when you go off the drug. 

Apparently the stones are small enough that they think you may be able to pass them without need for other intervention. Did they instruct you to strain your urine? (To see if stones/stone fragments have passed.)?

With kidney stones it is useful to know what they are made of as there are several kinds  and specific dietary advise for each to help avoid them in future (that plus of course drinking plenty of water).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

The  tamsulosin is to aid in passing the stones. Although not having trouble peeing now you might if/as the stones pass...as well as considerable discomfort. The tamsulosin helps avoid or reduce that. The retrograde ejaculation is temporary and will stop when you go off the drug. 

Apparently the stones are small enough that they think you may be able to pass them without need for other intervention. Did they instruct you to strain your urine? (To see if stones/stone fragments have passed.)?

With kidney stones it is useful to know what they are made of as there are several kinds  and specific dietary advise for each to help avoid them in future (that plus of course drinking plenty of water).

Thanks. Appteciate the reply.

52k? Wow. I wish I'd run a clinic in Thailand :-).

In Germany we get between 120 and 150 Euros for a CT. Plus additional costs for contrast medium, medical examination and advice it's maximum 450 Euros all together. Privatly insured patients pay a maximum of 1.035 Euros (38K THB).

But at least you had fun and two cute nurses. Much more cute than ours, I guess ????

Edited by JustAnotherHun

13 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I have had a brain CT scan with contrast for 6,000 baht at a different hospital. You certainly paid a premium at Medpark.

I think you can't compare the two. I had a full abdomen scan including my back.  Also had a detailed analysis of every organ on the spot. That being said 6k baht is very cheap so please share the name of the hospital. Also was it just a scan or was someone there to interpret the results?

31 minutes ago, Celsius said:

I think you can't compare the two. I had a full abdomen scan including my back.  Also had a detailed analysis of every organ on the spot. That being said 6k baht is very cheap so please share the name of the hospital. Also was it just a scan or was someone there to interpret the results?

Scan and full report and doctors visit.

Nick Walters at Mission Hospital. 

He is a fantastic doctor. 

12 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Scan and full report and doctors visit.

Nick Walters at Mission Hospital. 

He is a fantastic doctor. 

Very cheap. Did insurance cover something or was this really the full price out of pocket?

19 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

52k? Wow. I wish I'd run a clinic in Thailand :-).

In Germany we get between 120 and 150 Euros for a CT. Plus additional costs for contrast medium, medical examination and advice it's maximum 450 Euros all together. Privatly insured patients pay a maximum of 1.035 Euros (38K THB).

But at least you had fun and two cute nurses. Much more cute than ours, I guess ????

If it is in Germany similar to Austria than the docs still make great money as they take only 12 seconds per patient (I exaggerate, but often the system is complete overloaded and no one has time).:crazy: