Saying the quiet part out loud -- would success of the Move Forward Party agenda spell the end of the Golden Age for expats in Thailand?

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

In what way? Focus on what? Change what? Change to?

No response from the OP.

What a shame, it would be interesting to read what other non-thai locals see as needed immigration changes.

Oh well...

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

No response from the OP.

What a shame, it would be interesting to read what other non-thai locals see as needed immigration changes.

Oh well...

The post you quoted was not directed at me.

So rather obnoxious to complain that I didn't respond to it.

4 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The post you quoted was not directed at me.

So rather obnoxious to complain that I didn't respond to it.

Seems I have made an error, my apology.

My response was intended for the person who claimed the new gov't should fix immigration. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Baht Simpson said:

I can never see the point of going after retirees. Because of our age we tend to be able to pay our way, behave reasonably and, most importantly, will disappear in a few years anyway. 

True but as in all things there are two types of retirees. Especially in a developing nation known for sex trade & cheap cost of living.

So yes there are folks like yourself who pay their way & behave responsibly & there are those living on a wing & a prayer.

It is the latter a country like Thailand fears because as you say they will disappear in a few years but countries like Thailand already stretched caring for their own worry about the influx of older folks in their final stretch not being able to properly care for themselves.

18 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Read the OP.

I never said that he had.

This is a DISCUSSION topic.

It's more of an unintended consequences (from our POV) kind of topic IF the new party government is formed and is successful in it's aims to propel Thailand forward.

I say that because I believe most expats are happy about the election results and share some guarded optimism with most Thai people about them.

But wouldn't it be ironic if it ends up biting us (as a general group)?

That's all.

Again, for discussion and entertainment purposes only. 

I read the OP - in it, you propose a discussion on the notion that a new government wanting to move Thailand forward might somehow be bad news for expats - I'm just wondering where you're getting even that speculative idea from.

I'm not quite sure what the point is in even proposing a discussion about something that has no apparent basis. Unless you can point to a basis, that is.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

I read the OP - in it, you propose a discussion on the notion that a new government wanting to move Thailand forward might somehow be bad news for expats - I'm just wondering where you're getting even that speculative idea from.

I'm not quite sure what the point is in even proposing a discussion about something that has no apparent basis. Unless you can point to a basis, that is.

I'm OK with you staying not quite sure. 

It's almost impossible to tell what 'might' happen.

First things first, lets see if they actually manage to become a Government before they get dissolved for some spurious reason!

Folks bitch and moan about the leaping through rings of fire to get their Thai spouse permanent residency in mystical magical farang land.

But once done that spouse is for all intents and purposes the same as any citizen, work, benefits etc although without the right to vote.

If Thailand could adopt a similar system, well the 'long term tourist' might feel a whole lot safer and secure.

Yeah, you might have to jump through those flaming rings of fire, but at least there would be long term security

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

It's almost impossible to tell what 'might' happen.

First things first, lets see if they actually manage to become a Government before they get dissolved for some spurious reason!

Folks bitch and moan about the leaping through rings of fire to get their Thai spouse permanent residency in mystical magical farang land.

But once done that spouse is for all intents and purposes the same as any citizen, work, benefits etc although without the right to vote.

If Thailand could adopt a similar system, well the 'long term tourist' might feel a whole lot safer and secure.

Yeah, you might have to jump through those flaming rings of fire, but at least there would be long term security

Long term tourist !! Don't you mean Non imm 'O'.

3 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Long term tourist !! Don't you mean Non imm 'O'.

Non Imm says it all, you are not an immigrant, you are a tourist on a long term visa, but nothing more with all the rights of a tourist

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Non Imm says it all, you are not an immigrant, you are a tourist on a long term visa, but nothing more with all the rights of a tourist

Nah you'll be a Non immigrant on a 1 year visa of stay.

• Confused 1

On 5/27/2023 at 12:02 AM, bignok said:

Think outside the box. Malay 90 days no visa. Cambodia $300 a year. Thailand 30 days no visa.

There is no reason why you have to live in 1 city or one country.

This would be my approach if push ever came to shove with retirement extensions here and why I don't stress out about potential and in my view unlikely visa changes. Become a maximum stay tourist and move between Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and possibly Vietnam. Would require a bit of effort initially to establish a comfortable repeat set-up in the other locations, although I've spent some time in Cambodia and Malaysia before and it would likely be more expensive overall, but I think barring any long-term necessary medical issue I'd much rather stay in the region than return to the West.

4 minutes ago, kinyara said:

This would be my approach if push ever came to shove with retirement extensions here and why I don't stress out about potential and in my view unlikely visa changes. Become a maximum stay tourist and move between Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia and possibly Vietnam. Would require a bit of effort initially to establish a comfortable repeat set-up in the other locations, although I've spent some time in Cambodia and Malaysia before and it would likely be more expensive overall, but I think barring any long-term necessary medical issue I'd much rather stay in the region than return to the West.

Thailand is happy with your 800,000 for 3 months whatever and your 400,000 in the bank all year or 65,000 every month coming in good on you falangie.