Thai Airways - Purchasing two tickets for one passenger - Possible?

I'm flying Europe to Bangkok.  I decided after I booked my flight that I'd like to take some extra items.  Total extra weight 11kg.  Extra baggage cost on Thai Airways is 650 Euros for 10 - 15 kg of extra baggage.  The flight costs 490 Euros including 30kg baggage allowance.

Can I just buy a second ticket for myself and get an additional baggage allowance of 30kg for "only" 490 Euros? 

Has anyone tried this?  I know that in the States, obese people can book two tickets on a domestic flight to accommodate their girth (in fact, I think on some airlines they are required to), but I wonder if I can pull it off to circumvent the (in my opinion) exorbitant extra baggage fee.

I am attempting to call Thai Airways, but their customer service line has a very long wait time.  I've had difficulties reaching them by telephone before.  I almost think the office is empty after a certain time in the evening and they just allow us callers from outside of SE Asia to stay on hold indefinitely.

Thanks in advance...

• Like 1

With Silver class Royal Orchid you get 40kg - might be cheaper to pay for the upgrade in Air miles (if it is possible, sorry I don't know) cheaper than the 10kg would cost? I was going to suggest Biz/1st class but I imagine those fares are so astronomical so would wipe out any savings - might be a pleasant flight though ????

Edited by nglodnig
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Check with the airline to see if they haul freight cargo, most do and its usually cheaper. If so don't mention your ticket for flying and just ship it to the destination hold for pick up

6 hours ago, NotReallyHere said:

Extra baggage cost on Thai Airways is 650 Euros for 10 - 15 kg of extra baggage.

I find that hard to believe..650 euros? Surely not. I've never seen luggage priced that high.

18 hours ago, bignok said:

I find that hard to believe..650 euros? Surely not. I've never seen luggage priced that high.

Surely so.  Now you've seen it.  First time for everything...

Snippet from Thai Airways page.  Somewhat limited in what I show because I don't want to reveal my name or ticket info.

image.png.e5845f1d30859e5dd85a33374e4bac00.png

https://www.desklessnomad.com/buy-two-airline-seats-or-entire-row/

It is hard to get extra baggage with full service economy tickets. Apparent exceptions are airlines in the US. The best for carrying extra luggage are the low cost airlines, but is hard to get tickets to Europe, there are only a few routes.

Let us know whether you managed to do it.