An abolition of conscription will mean more inequality : Nipit

webfact

19 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

So conscription the entire nation and eliminate income inequality instantly.

But somehow military wages that may or may not actual go to conscripts may by themselves increase income inequality.

Whatever. There's simply no academic proof that conscription reduces income inequality. But there is evidence that eight years under the military political coalition has increased the nation's income inequality.

No it has not...it was very bad before and it is very bad now....So no increase in inequality....Same as 2003

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

More pro army mumbo jumbo.

Absolutely impossible to link inequality in general society with conscription.

The greatest inequality in society is that the army trample all over democracy, freedoms etc with their guns and tanks.

As we have seen in the last 10 years.

The dinosaurs need to become extinct.

do not forget to take their bodies to the taxidermist for educational exhibit

10 minutes ago, wazzupnow said:

not only the rich my wife paid an official an amount of 15000 bht only and her son stayed at home to become the baby he is now

One of our staff told, when he was in the army he could go out whenever he wanted. Just than his boss pockets his salary.

• Haha 2

37 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

There are arguments on either side of this.

Abolishing conscription seems like a good idea if - as in most 'Western' countries - you have a modern society that values education, including for its soldiers, pays its soldiers a decent salary (in Australia's case astonishingly high), and trains its soldiers as high-capability professionals. None of which applies to today's Thailand.

On the other hand the argument about equality is different I think from that put by Nipit above. As I have seen with my own partner, the effect of 2 years in the military is quite marked on ignorant ill- or non-educated village boys. My boy saw life in Bangkok - and got to enjoy its pleasures every night after climbing over the barracks walls in search of food & fun - and he minded the colonel's dog, cut the platoon's hair, and even got to serve canapes on a silver tray to Q Sirikit. And he knows how to fight, quite ruthlessly (which comes in handy when you're hanging around outside the gay disco at 0200). Every time we visit Bangkok now he still knows his way around every nook & cranny ...

All of which helped him to grow up and open his eyes to the wider world. His possibilities in life would have been much less had he not had these experiences. And had I not come along at the appropriate time, money in hand ...

I have seen western military leadership.....it all looks professional.....but it is not....just the alcohol problem is a story on itself....

• Confused 1