Good beach near Bangkok?

sirineou

So the wife has been taking swimming lessons and is getting pretty good at it. I tried to teach her but she would not listen to me. Why should swimming be different from everything else ????

Anyway we were thinking of taking a ride to Bangkok from Khon Kaen to do some shopping, have some of that great Bangkok food , and perhaps go to a beach nearby , where she can try her new swimming skills in salt water.  

We were thinking in terms of Rayong beach, Hua hing . mayme take a ferry to Koh Samet (how is the swimming there) or any other destinations that are not more than two  or three hours away by car or ferry . 

We would appreciate any advice .  

Edited by sirineou

4 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

samet is a long way from BKK.....

try agoda for hotel/guest house

I will try Agoda , the place in the picture below looks nice, you , or anyone else would not happen to know the name of it?

Of course I will do my search online also. 

Thanks again:smile: 

kho Samet.jpg

Edited by sirineou

2 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I will try Agoda , the place in the picture below looks nice, you , or anyone else would not happen to know the name of it?

kho Samet.jpg

i think it called white sands beach

google things to do on koh samet or look trip advisor

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sirineou said:

kho Samet.jpg

your problem is getting to ban phe for the ferry to samet

You could try Koh Si Chang, just off the coast of Sriracha. Quieter than Koh Samet, I would think, and there's a nice beach on the far side of the island called Hat Tham Phang  (หาดถ้ำพัง).

It's very easy for saltwater swimming as the seabed is flat sand so the waves tend to be gentle. To get there from the ferry terminal/main town, you have to take some sort of tuk-tuk.

On 5/30/2023 at 9:23 AM, sirineou said:

kho Samet.jpg

That is Paradee Resort and is around 20,000 baht a night.

I would also add my recommendation for Samet - I wouldn't consider anywhere between there and Bangkok for nice sea swimming. 2-2.5 hr max from Bangkok then a short ferry or speedboat ride.

Personally I would go for White Sand beach because it is not too far from the pier, it has by far the best selection of bars and beach restaurants, the sand is powdery and beautiful, the beach is clean, and the water is beautiful. There are also a couple more secluded beaches a short walk from there if you fancy a walk along the coast to explore.

I stayed at the Avatara resort a couple of months ago and was very happy with it. Lovely rooms, right next to the beach, good restaurant, and lots of other choices of food and drink nearby. Around 2,000 baht a night (but with a short one minute hill walk to the rooms so if you have mobility issues maybe not ideal).

https://avatararesort.com/

Also stayed at Sai Kaew Beach resort which is spread over large gardens and very nice. They have a new block with modern rooms, or bungalows in the garden. Also has a couple of swimming pools, but a bit more expensive than Avatara.

https://www.saikaewbeach-resort.com/

But really you can't go wrong with White Sand Beach (Hat Sai Kaew), just pick something that is in your price range and check the reviews before you book.

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Ko Samet overdeveloped tourist spot, full of sandflies. Mae Phim is better.

Absolutely no problem with sandflies the last two times I've been. Don't remember prior to that as it was a few years ago. For me Mae Phim is nowhere near as beautiful, especially in terms of sand and clarity of water. But each to their own, it is an option, just not one for me.

"Overdeveloped tourist spot full of sandflies" is just not a very helpful comment.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Absolutely no problem with sandflies the last two times I've been. Don't remember prior to that as it was a few years ago. For me Mae Phim is nowhere near as beautiful, especially in terms of sand and clarity of water. But each to their own, it is an option, just not one for me.

"Overdeveloped tourist spot full of sandflies" is just not a very helpful comment.

Inflated hotel prices, national park fee,lots of tourists, nothing to do there. Not for me.