Health Insurance

Basso53

Yes done to death I know but I will give my question a go.

I took out a health insurance policy last year for total cost of 209241 baht (over $AUD9000). Yes gasp gasp, but the policy was taken out at age 69 having had a heart attack early 2020 with a stent inserted. Following this event I stopped drinking and lost about 20kg in weight.....so leading a very health lifestyle oh yes, non smoker. However with this policy there is a moratorium of 2 years......so any heart problem or problem connected with the heart I pay myself if still vertical; there is a Nil Excess but Inpatient only, also International coverage except USA. So if I'm laid up with anything other then coronary all good.

As the end of my first year is 6.12.23 I am dreading paying out so much money......but will if I can't find anything cheaper with equivalent coverage. My recent comprehensive health check up was great except for low B12 and borderline high iron.

My question if if you have lasted this long.......does anyone know where I can do better cost wise considering my age and circumstances? Cheers.

Have been going through a similar situation trying to find insurers willing to quote for health insurance to people with pre-existing conditions. I'm slightly younger than you but have had two heart attacks and recently had diabetes diagnosed.  Currently I get around the health issues by spending 6 months out of the country in the UK on NHS cover and then get 6 months travel insurance (including cover for above) costing £1,200 with £10 million cover and £150 excess.  The only company I've found that say they would consider me if I had a medical first has been Pacific Cross but no figures or conditions discussed yet.  All the others would exclude my pre-existing which would make insurance from them pointless.  Good luck with your search and keep us informed how you get on please.

• Thanks 1

Despite the high Insurance costs I think you where quite fortunate of being excepted with these precondition, even with a moratorium of 2 years.

Few years back I was in the same position of seeking a new policy at 66 once I had retired and came off the company scheme. The only insurance outfit I came up with and underwent the compulsory medical then proceeded to exclude any cardio issues and for good measures  excluded any  diabetic issues also. Odd, as I have never been categorised as diabetic. At 65 I had 2 TIA's and again like you I lost 20 KG and still holding my weight 6 years later.  OK, my quote then was less then yours at 160K but pretty academic if you excluded any cardio vascular or diabetic induced issues.

I wish you luck in your search as I am myself still looking for an alternative to the 6 months travel insurance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Currently I get around the health issues by spending 6 months out of the country in the UK on NHS cover and then get 6 months travel insurance (including cover for above) costing £1,200 with £10 million cover and £150 excess. 

Returning to the Uk soon and will be looking for a policy to cover coming back for visits months at a time. Roughly the same age with diabetes etc , your policy sounds ideal with 10 million cover and such a low 150 excess, could you reveal the company details policy name etc.

Many thanks

3 hours ago, sapson said:

Returning to the Uk soon and will be looking for a policy to cover coming back for visits months at a time. Roughly the same age with diabetes etc , your policy sounds ideal with 10 million cover and such a low 150 excess, could you reveal the company details policy name etc.

Many thanks

For travel insurance which covers pre-existing conditions I have used several companies over the years and have to approach them for a new quote each time as they all seem reluctant to store personal medical information unfortunately.   I've listed below the companies I've used who offer cover for pre-existing although it may come with 'strings' attached which you need to read the policy documents for carefully.

JustTravelcover.com used recently was a single trip quote with a level of cover called "Unity Travel AIG Single Bronze" and by excluding the Cancellation & Baggage cover you can reduce the costs significantly which is what I did.

Before them I've used the following ALL Single Trip policies :-

Insureandgo               Backpacker Bronze used for 3 years but age limit kicked in (they may have increased this of course)

Holidaysafe                HS Backpacker & Longstay Platinum used 3 times

Coverforyou.com        Silver level used 2 times

Freedom Insurance     Travel Single Trip Scheme used 8 times but then was age limited (I believe)

That should give you a head start on your search for a travel insurance quote for up to 6 months anyway. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

JustTravelcover.com used recently was a single trip quote with a level of cover called "Unity Travel AIG Single Bronze" and by excluding the Cancellation & Baggage cover you can reduce the costs significantly which is what I did.

Many thanks! so was the company above?? the one you mentioned for 1200 pounds six months cover duration and 10 million limit with only 150 deductible??

Have you actually made any claims ?did you pay first or paid directly to hospital by insurer?

Thanks! info appreciated plenty to work with.

Edited by sapson
  • Thumbs Up 1

31 minutes ago, sapson said:

Many thanks! so was the company above?? the one you mentioned for 1200 pounds six months cover duration and 10 million limit with only 150 deductible??

Have you actually made any claims ?did you pay first or paid directly to hospital by insurer?

Thanks! info appreciated plenty to work with.

Yes it was Justtravel.com I used with the cover mentioned but you may have to use state hospitals rather than private but many hospitals offer both.  At least I was covered regardless which is the key thing.  Never made any claims yet but check insurers reviews beforehand to establish track record. Details of payment terms are in policy wording.

4 hours ago, trevoromgh said:

Yes it was Justtravel.com I used with the cover mentioned but you may have to use state hospitals rather than private but many hospitals offer both.  At least I was covered regardless which is the key thing.  Never made any claims yet but check insurers reviews beforehand to establish track record. Details of payment terms are in policy wording.

I appreciate the information thanks and i hope you can stay claim free.