Extension in Jomtien Immigration now requires taking fingerprints in Chonburi city??

2 hours ago, KhaoNiaw said:

If they're sending him to the "Police Forensic Science Center" it's for a police records check not just getting fingerprints on file. 

That's right. But one would imagine that if Immigration has the fingerprints on file they'd be able to ask corresponding data from the police on their own, or have any such data linked to their system... Otherwise how would they stop those with local criminal records at the border?

10 minutes ago, XGM said:

But one would imagine that if Immigration has the fingerprints on file they'd be able to ask corresponding data from the police on their own, or have any such data linked to their system...

Or just check the fingerprints on ALL the forms he handed over with his application!

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, XGM said:

Do you see it when you click on "chat"? Otherwise, in the chat window, click on "Menu" at the bottom.

I don't see it. When I open on Line, it opens with the first pic,  And when I click on menu, it adds the emojis !!!

Screenshot_20230531-173949.png

Screenshot_20230531-173710.png

3 minutes ago, Tony M said:

I don't see it. When I open on Line, it opens with the first pic,  And when I click on menu, it adds the emojis !!!

Click on the bottom-left rectangle that's labelled "Check visa result"

Sounds like criminal background check, geez, this regime keeps turning the screws, hopefully a new regime, will produce fairer policies for immigration practices, but as I have no knowkedge of Jomtien or the marriage visa system, I just hope is an over the top singular request, not a future all-in policy

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Tony M said:

How did you get that "page" on Line ?  I can't find it.

No that's not on LINE but the slide from Chonburi Immigration:
https://www.immchonburi.go.th/main

Now click on the right arrow at the big graphics and in some funny order you will see this:

http://www.immchonburi.go.th/main/#carousel__slide4

With the QR code you can add Chonburi Immigration to your friends list.

It will list under Official Accounts.

Open and click "Chat".

You will see misc symbols that seem to be links to certain functions.

I haven't gone further than that.

The script on the mobile is so tiny I have to find my magnifying glass :biggrin:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, XGM said:

That's right. But one would imagine that if Immigration has the fingerprints on file they'd be able to ask corresponding data from the police on their own, or have any such data linked to their system... Otherwise how would they stop those with local criminal records at the border?

If they want a criminal background check, they won't be requesting it themselves for people doing visa renewals. It's not a free service and they still have to go to the trouble of fingerprinting you. Less trouble for them and a money-maker for the Forensic Science Center. 
It can sometimes be a busy place as taxi drivers, public transport drivers etc. need it for their licences. I've heard some immigration offices require it for annual extensions for school teachers?

Probably just a random criminal background check done on a case-by-case basis associated with marriage to a Thai.

Did some googling and found a Phuket News Feb 2018 article where apparently in late 2017 the Department of Provincial Administration (DOPA) head office in Bangkok issued a regulation change relating to the request for marriage of foreigner to Thai and also marriage visas/extensions.   See below article for more details....the article even talked about it being focused toward 13 unnamed nationalities at the time.   

Yea, probably just a random background check...a case-by-case thing; not applicable to everyone for every marriage extension. 

https://www.thephuketnews.com/it-a-crime-foreigners-marrying-thais-now-subject-to-fingerprints-taken-for-criminal-background-66094.php

Even folks applying for a LTR visa might be requested to provide a police clearance from their home country OR Thai police.   If requesting a Thai police clearance fingerprints will be taken.   Below from the LTR Required Documents Checklist.  I haven't read in social media type posts where any LTR applicant was requested to provide a police clearance....but such a request is possible on a case-by-case basis. 

image.png.c6db3a50de0676ec654ab0579e11dc71.png

2 minutes ago, XGM said:

Am I surprised? should I be surprised? Maybe not. But I am somewhat disappointed. Yes. After striving to get everything perfect, year after year, to suddenly be treated as a suspect based on absolutely nothing? I guess I am still naive to expect more.

All the recent events/news where certain certain nationalities (i.e., mainly Chinese) has been involved with corrupt immigration officials in the issue of visas/extensions (and even Thai citizenship) may be a factor in more scrutiny on a random selected case-by-case basis of certain visa/extension applicants of all nationalities.   Please note, I'm not implying anything about you.

Your situation is probably a simple case of your immigration office randomly selecting a small percentage of applicants for a police check....and you were just selected by chance.   And maybe your immigration record/past extensions looks so rock-solid & clean that the immigration office just knows your police check will come back clean and that's why they selected you.....gives the office better stats vs picking some applicant which the immigration office feels a police check might reveal a not-so-clean police record within Thailand.   

• Thumbs Up 2

15 hours ago, 1happykamper said:

Driving one hour is very unreasonable. 

It's like all those guys do is look for reasons NOT to let you in or stay. 

Meanwhile the real bad guys are laughing

Right. If true...It's Eff'ing ridiculous. What if the closest one was in BKK (or Chiang Mai or Phuket)This place just gets more onerous by the year and more stupid by the day. 

• Like 1

I would say immigration at Jomtien are testing out the water.

for a possible new marketing plan, for getting people to use an agent,

Agents = revenue for immigration officers.

Time for big joke to give that place a visit and clear house.

Edited by quake
  • Like 1

I went there last week and they asked me the same. They also asked for office pictures for the first time even it was marriage extension with child. When my wife asked we never needed that, they replied i used thai work permit route and now Bangkok HQ is very strict so they have to follow that. I heard other non b guys also needed fingerprint from jomtien. 

My wife told them i was fingerprinted just an year ago for citizenship application but they said i need a new.

But something was very strange they didn't look at my tax files but tried to block me asking for more photos, i felt this is post COVID behavior to go to the agents. 

• Like 1