Free rides on Bangkok’s Yellow Line monorail during June trial

snoop1130

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

I've used it three times so far. Yesterday from Samrong to Hua Mak at 5pm it was packed.

Still can't understand why it is so bumpy though. The two n00bs I brought with me yesterday also commented on how bumpy it was.

Yes ....   following our journey and inspection of the complete open running network,  I can adhere that overall we were quietly impressed.  There is still alot of cleaning up to be done as well as minor fixings and cosmetic work, however the basic infrastructure and mechanics and operations all went as required.   As you mentioned,  at first travel one can't refute the slight but continued bumpiness while moving along the track.  The MRT and the BTS are generally smooth running with minimal bumps, however the monorail is bumpy throughout the whole journey,  although not heavy bumpy but just light annoying bumpy,   as for the rest,  it got our stamp and pass.

Edited by steven100

56 minutes ago, steven100 said:

Yes ....   following our journey and inspection of the complete open running network,  I can adhere that overall we were quietly impressed.  There is still alot of cleaning up to be done as well as minor fixings and cosmetic work, however the basic infrastructure and mechanics and operations all went as required.   As you mentioned,  at first travel one can't refute the slight but continued bumpiness while moving along the track.  The MRT and the BTS are generally smooth running with minimal bumps, however the monorail is bumpy throughout the whole journey,  although not heavy bumpy but just light annoying bumpy,   as for the rest,  it got our stamp and pass.

Yeah, I agree with your summation. Overall it is great, the trains are cool, nice views, good route and system. The bumpiness is not enough to stop you using it but, like you say, mildly annoying. I am not sure if that's normal for this type of train or whether the guide rails are not smooth enough. Hopefully someone in the know will know as I am curious.

• Thumbs Up 1

54 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, I agree with your summation. Overall it is great, the trains are cool, nice views, good route and system. The bumpiness is not enough to stop you using it but, like you say, mildly annoying. I am not sure if that's normal for this type of train or whether the guide rails are not smooth enough. Hopefully someone in the know will know as I am curious.

The problem could be similar to that of India's findings some 10 years ago when they first installed the monorail.

image.png.55a3d87032f77e956f37ff9e61f72274.png

“Works needs to be undertaken to smoothen the surface of the guideway beam. It will be carried out in the coming weeks,” said officials connected with the Mumbai Monorail project. The process of levelling the guideway beam is called grinding.

After taking a ride on the monorail on February 16, chief secretary JK Banthia had specified that the services need to be made smoother.

It will take a week’s time to grind the uneven surfaces on the guideway beam between the 8.8-km-long stretch between Wadala and Chembur. However, the authorities have not yet decided when the work will be undertaken.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

The problem could be similar to that of India's findings some 10 years ago when they first installed the monorail.

image.png.55a3d87032f77e956f37ff9e61f72274.png

“Works needs to be undertaken to smoothen the surface of the guideway beam. It will be carried out in the coming weeks,” said officials connected with the Mumbai Monorail project. The process of levelling the guideway beam is called grinding.

After taking a ride on the monorail on February 16, chief secretary JK Banthia had specified that the services need to be made smoother.

It will take a week’s time to grind the uneven surfaces on the guideway beam between the 8.8-km-long stretch between Wadala and Chembur. However, the authorities have not yet decided when the work will be undertaken.

That does sound remarkably similar. Hopefully there's a similar solution.