Non-O First Extension

I have been exploring options for ending the visa extensions of my original OA visa and obtaining a new Non-O visa at a nearby embassy.   The required insurance for extensions have almost tripled this year and I can't justify the cost for something that I don't need.  My Thai wife and I do not want to apply for extensions based on marriage.

I know I can enter visa exempt and get a new Non-O visa in Thailand, but my first preference is a new Non-O visa outside of Thailand. I qualify for a Non-O based on marriage and retirement.  I use money in the bank for my current extensions.  Is it possible to get the first extension of a new Non-O visa based on marriage for the purpose of retirement and not marriage?

I use the Udon Thani immigration office for extensions.

Just enter visa exempt and apply for a Non O visa at Immigration based on retirement. As an alternative, you can get a Non O visa based on being over age 50 (basically retirement) from the Thai consulate in Savannakhet.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Just enter visa exempt and apply for a Non O visa at Immigration based on retirement. As an alternative, you can get a Non O visa based on being over age 50 (basically retirement) from the Thai consulate in Savannakhet.

As I stated, my preference is try to get a Non-O first.  I'm planning on trying to  apply for a Non-O based on retirement at Vientiane, but looking a options, if that becomes an issue.  Nong Khai is only an hour drive from where I live.  I already have an appointment in July at the Vientiane Thai consulate.

37 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

I know I can enter visa exempt and get a new Non-O visa in Thailand, but my first preference is a new Non-O visa outside of Thailand. I qualify for a Non-O based on marriage and retirement.  I use money in the bank for my current extensions

Why make easy difficult.

Since you live in Udon Thani a quick trip to Nong Khai step into Loas and back to obtain visa exempt entry.

Since you qualify for marriage and retirement just choose option that suits you. 

800/400k on day of application for the non O and in last 30 days of that 90 day stamp obtain your 12 month extension 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why make easy difficult.

Since you live in Udon Thani a quick trip to Nong Khai step into Loas and back to obtain visa exempt entry.

Since you qualify for marriage and retirement just choose option that suits you. 

800/400k on day of application for the non O and in last 30 days of that 90 day stamp obtain your 12 month extension 

It is not really that difficult and I want to visit Laos anyways.   In country requires several trips to immigration, they are probably equal in difficulty level.

35 minutes ago, StevoLe said:

As I stated, my preference is try to get a Non-O first.  I'm planning on trying to  apply for a Non-O based on retirement at Vientiane, but looking a options, if that becomes an issue.  Nong Khai is only an hour drive from where I live.  I already have an appointment in July at the Vientiane Thai consulate.

Your plan for a Non O in Vientiane makes perfect sense.

• Like 1