In a first, viewers on Earth got a chance to see Mars nearly in real time

Social Media

In a first, viewers on Earth got a chance to see Mars nearly in real time.

The European Space Agency streamed on YouTube historic live images directly from the red planet.

The images, shared on YouTube, ESA’s Twitter account and with the hashtag #MarsLIVE, showed the planet in a way it has never been seen before, ESA said.

The event celebrated the 20th anniversary of the launch of the agency’s Mars Express orbiter — a mission to take three-dimensional images of the planet’s surface to see it in more complete detail.

• Love It 1

What a waste of money .... millions, if not billions of $$$ on taking photos of stuff we don't need to see, and doesn't help humans' plight on this rock.

I got better photos of the moon for much less ????

DSN03106.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, KhunLA said:

What a waste of money .... millions, if not billions of $$$ on taking photos of stuff we don't need to see, and doesn't help humans' plight on this rock.

I got better photos of the moon for much less ????

DSN03106.jpg

Not that good.I cannot see the 'man' my mother always referred to. ????

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Not that good.I cannot see the 'man' my mother always referred to. ????

He had just walked around to the dark side, after that grilled cheese sandwich.  Nap time ... 

image.png.5c66dd9af058628d182cfb980c134b66.png

I also find it hard to accept we need to spend billions on such a waste of time. I understand this might be preparation for further voyages to earth like planets but really, they could use that money to solve problems here. 

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

ya still think the earth is flat? get with the times bub

2 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

ya still think the earth is flat? get with the times bub

Flat or round, spending billions of $$$ to take photos and explore place we'll never visit is a waste.   Especially when that could be spent saving lives right here.  Simply by providing clean drinking water, food, energy, vaccines and basic meds/antibiotics to the millions that don't have it.

Have a long ways to go, so stop wasting money.

Screenshot (38).jpg

Edited by KhunLA

12 hours ago, Purdey said:

I also find it hard to accept we need to spend billions on such a waste of time. I understand this might be preparation for further voyages to earth like planets but really, they could use that money to solve problems here. 

I agree with CS Lewis's take on this:

"Human life has always been lived on the edge of a precipice,” wrote C.S. Lewis on the eve of World War II. “If men had postponed the search for knowledge and beauty until they were secure, the search would never have begun."