SSA Form 7162 Time Again

Last year, I received SSA's Form 7162 around the middle of July. But in all previous years, I usually got  it around the first or second week of June. So, I guess it's time to be on the lookout for this year's form. What is terrible is that it seems we just finally finished with all the delays, omissions, and missing forms from last year. This year, I intend to return it via regular airmail. Using registered mail apparently doesn't help and may, in fact, hinder SSA's reception of the return form. At least that was the feedback last year.

Edited by John Drake
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, racyrick said:

Strange there is still nothing.

@Pib have you heard any news from SSA?

Just checked my PO Box this morning. No Form 7162 yet. Could come anytime between now and a month from now, I guess.

11 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Received yesterday, June 16, 2023, Bangkok, 10110 (Phra Khanong).

Mailed, airmail, today.

At the top of the form what date did it show as being generated/printed?   

Assuming a 10-14 days mailing time from U.S. to Bangkok that date should be in the late May/very early June timeframe but it could have been much earlier if the SSA didn't promptly mail them.  

59 minutes ago, bamnutsak said:

Luckily I took a photo...

June 02, 2023

Yeap.....after I asked about the date I checked my mailbox (I live in Bangkok also) and I received my 7162 today/Saturday/17 June.  But the wife did not receive hers....hopefully hers will arrive over the coming days....but last year hers arrived the same day as mine.  

And from looking at last year's 7162 both mine and the wife's 7162 was generated on 27 Jun and we received both on 8 July.    

This year, SSA seems to be back on their normal schedule of generating 7162s in late May/early June.

Edited by Pib

1 hour ago, bamnutsak said:

Received yesterday, June 16, 2023, Bangkok, 10110 (Phra Khanong).

Mailed, airmail, today.

Thanks for the notice. I'll check in on my PO Box either today or tomorrow.

And for those who don't receive a form over the coming month or so and just can't wait to send in a form the Manila SSA website currently has a blank 7162 for download and completion.    I've also attached it below....downloaded from Manila SSA Office 17 Jun 2023.

https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/

HOWEVER, BUT, I would "not" complete this form until you've waited at least another couple months because SSA does a 1st mailing which is going out now and then a 2nd mailing in the September time if they didn't get your response to the 1st mailing.   And Manila will not even deal with any missing 7162 until 1 Nov of each year which is after a person should have received a 7162 via the 1st or 2nd mailing.   The SSA really wants the "bar-coded/partially completed" 7162 returned that they mail-out.

Blank SSA-7162.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I received mine also and mailed today via airmail. Last year sent it by airmail and the second one registered and   as far as the tracking never got there. But the regular airmail one was received.Got a receipt when I sent it today and it says us social security on it so I'm wondering is this receipt good enough for proof it was sent

Received mine June 17 Saturday.

Considering last year's experience, I will fax back one copy, then post 2 copies via regular international mail spaced a week apart to avoid excessive mail registration charges.

1 hour ago, steveb5 said:

rabas .

do you have the fax number to send form 7162 . I would like to fax it also

Below is from my post in last year's thread:

Just to be safe, I faxed my 2nd letter to them today. A tip, the only fax machines I found were limited to A4 size (no adjustments).  The personalized barcode is on the letter's edge so the fax operator shrank the letter to A4 size before sending. The SSA's fax machine received the letter with no problem. Their fax number is 1-833-719-0632.

22 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

And if the concern is that someone has died and others are pocketing their SS $,  what is to keep said other from signing and returning this silly form??

Exactly. The US Embassy allowed us to register and participate in a discussion with Social Security sometime last year. Can't remember when now. But my question was why can't they allow us to register and affirm online. Perhaps using My Social  Security. It would be no more and no less safe than signing through the mail. The representative from SSA said they were planning on doing something like that. Don't know if we will all die first or not, however.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rabas said:

Below is from my post in last year's thread:

Just to be safe, I faxed my 2nd letter to them today. A tip, the only fax machines I found were limited to A4 size (no adjustments).  The personalized barcode is on the letter's edge so the fax operator shrank the letter to A4 size before sending. The SSA's fax machine received the letter with no problem. Their fax number is 1-833-719-0632.

Do you have a SSA webpage that references above FAX number?   What dept/office/location within the SSA does this fax number exist.   Thanks.

32 minutes ago, Pib said:

Do you have a SSA webpage that references above FAX number?   What dept/office/location within the SSA does this fax number exist.   Thanks.

SSA Office of Earnings & International Operations (OEIO).  https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Note, they changed the fax number from last year, the new number is  1-877-385-0645.  However, they also changed the wording !

(2022):  You may send inquiries and forms to us by fax at 833-719-0632.

(2023):  You may send letters to us by fax at 877-385-0645.

So it's possible they no longer accept 7162 by fax because covid  disruptions have passed. I would call before faxing to see if they still accept the forms.

NB: Last year's  SSA page:  www.ssa.gov/foreign Nov 17 2022

• Like 1

12 hours ago, rabas said:

SSA Office of Earnings & International Operations (OEIO).  https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/

Note, they changed the fax number from last year, the new number is  1-877-385-0645.  However, they also changed the wording !

(2022):  You may send inquiries and forms to us by fax at 833-719-0632.

(2023):  You may send letters to us by fax at 877-385-0645.

So it's possible they no longer accept 7162 by fax because covid  disruptions have passed. I would call before faxing to see if they still accept the forms.

NB: Last year's  SSA page:  www.ssa.gov/foreign Nov 17 2022

Thanks.  Before asking the question last night when I googled the 833-719-0632 number the googled list would lead ultimately lead to the current/2023 OEIO webpage where that -0632 number was not listed; just the -0645 number. 

I guess google was just giving me webpage recommendations based on their achieved/history file vs current webpage file.  But when selecting the google search option of "Must Include"  833-719-0632 which forces google to only list current webpages containing that number your post on AseanNow appeared on the list.  So, I was wondering where you got that -0632 number....maybe an old webpage, maybe a SSA rep gave you the number, etc.     

Now "in my opinion" if a person is only faxing their 7162 to OEIO (a.k.a., known as Processing Center 8, SSA Baltimore, etc) they are taking a real risk the that OEIO will not do anything with the 7162 except maybe mail/forward it the the Wilkes Barre Data Processing Center which is the address on the included 7162 return envelope.

SSA Webpage saying who PC8 is

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0201050051

image.png.1a10925bc9e4535bf9b68ea2ade633b8.png

I say it's a risk that OEIO may not do anything with the 7162 based on the SSA POMS (i.e., regulation/instruction)...weblink/partial quote below.  Below POMS covers how a Foreign Enforcement Questionnaire (i.e, fancy name for the 7162) is to be handled when a person does "not" mail their form back to the Wilkes Barre Data Operation Center (WBDOC) but instead sends it to PC8 (ie.., OEIO), Federal Benefits Unit like Manila, or a local social security office.   

Basically the POMS instructions says unless there is some change on the FEQ requiring their action that the OEIO, FBU, local SSA office "should" forward the 7162 to WBDOC for processing....in the very beginning of the POMS it stresses the importance that the WBDOC receives the form.  Now once WBDOC receives/processes the form that that might automatically generate some required action by the OEIO, FBU, etc.  

And mailing a 7162 to the Manila FBU "before" 1 Nov which is after a person should have got the 1st mailing in May/June or follow-up 2nd mailing in Sep will also probably result in Manila just forwarding a 7162 to WBDOC without Manila doing any system "update" unless a person's benefits have already been suspended which wouldn't occur until mid Jan for 3 Feb and following payments.  

I'm not saying sending the 7162 to OEIC is a bad thing; I'm just saying if that's the "only way" a person is sending back their 7162 that it may be a risky way since the 7162 is supposed to go back to the SSA Wilkes Barre Data Operations Center for processing....and it also prevents additional work/costs for the SSA.  Definitely mail a 7162 to Wilkes Barre and then if also wanting to send it to OEIO, FBU, etc., as insurance then go for it.  Cheers.

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0302655007

D. FEQs Returned Directly To PC8, The SSA Field Office, Or FBU

It is important for WBDOC to receive all FEQs for scanning into AIRS and recording on the responder list. Some beneficiaries return their completed questionnaires directly to PC8, an SSA Field Office (FO), or FBU instead of mailing it back in the return envelope (addressed to WBDOC) which they received with the FEQ form. These instructions describe how PC8, FOs, and FBUs handle FEQs they receive directly from the beneficiaries (or their representatives).

1. FEQ form received before benefits have been suspended for non-receipt of

FEQ

If there are:

• any changes reported on the form, the office that receives the form should process any actions that are within their responsibility before forwarding to WBDOC; or

• no changes reported on the FEQ, or the office is not able to process the changes reported, they should forward the FEQ to WBDOC for processing.

2. FEQ form received after benefits have been suspended for non-receipt of

FEQ

Follow these instructions:

• the FBU must forward these FEQs to WBDOC for processing; or

• the FOs and PC8 should process any actions they decide are necessary (including reinstatement of benefits if applicable) and then forward the FEQ to WBDOC in an envelope marked “SCAN ONLY.”

•  

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

I googled the 833-719-0632 number the googled list would lead ultimately lead to the current/2023 OEIO webpage where that -0632 number was not listed; just the -0645 number. 

Yes, I saw that!  But the Wayback archived page (bottom of my post) seemed an easy way to show what happened.

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

I'm not saying sending the 7162 to OEIC is a bad thing; I'm just saying if that's the "only way" a person is sending back their 7162 that it may be a risky way since the 7162 is supposed to go back to the SSA Wilkes Barre Data Operations Center for processing....and it also prevents additional work/costs for the SSA.  Definitely mail a 7162 to Wilkes Barre and then if also wanting to send it to OEIO, FBU, etc., as insurance then go for it.  Cheers.

Agree completely, and thanks for noting the issue. I was unaware they had changed the number and removed "and forms" from their fax instructions.

I was tempted to note that everyone returning 3 copies could triple their workload leading to worse problems, in turn leading to people returning more forms, and so on. In reality, multiple forms would mostly be from overseas folks and eventually die down.

Considering all, I may call and ask if there is a proper way to return forms by fax, and if not then why not. I would not blindly send a fax.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

My 2023 7162 was mailed registered air mail at Thai Post yesterday.

The tracking number is not just in the Thai system -- it is already in the USPS system:

Latest Update

Your item was accepted at 9:57 am on June 24, 2023 in THAILAND.

International Transit

Acceptance

THAILAND

June 24, 2023, 9:57 am

Yes, the USPS tracking system/number interfaces with many foreign country postal tracking systems...they exchange tracking data.  But above Acceptance just means a piece of mail was accepted in the Thai postal to be forwarded/mailed into the USPS.   What you should see soon is the next status along the lines of "Processed Through Facility...Savarnabhumi Mail Centre (SMC) Thailand" which means it's about to fly out/being prepared to flyout of Thailand to the U.S....most likely to the USPS International Service Center (ISC) New York City where it will process thru Customs/USPS.

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

.most likely to the USPS International Service Center (ISC) New York City where it will process thru Customs/USPS.

Yes -- I will presume it will do just as it did same routine last year when it was tracked to Wilkes-Barre, PA.