SSA Form 7162 Time Again

• 3 weeks later...

Mine was dated 17 Oct, and just sent it back;

1st mailing, slow & cheap

2nd mailing next week

3rd the week after

One should make it through, and cheaper than sending 1 express/registered, as apparently that didn't make it last time.

4 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Mine was dated 17 Oct, and just sent it back;

1st mailing, slow & cheap

2nd mailing next week

3rd the week after

One should make it through, and cheaper than sending 1 express/registered, as apparently that didn't make it last time.

When did you actually receive your second mailing?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2023 at 3:43 PM, connda said:

And as far as sending SSA 7162 forms to Wilkes-Barr via Registered Mail?  I don't recommend it.  But if someone whats to experiment?  Try it and see if you have better luck.  I doubt it. 

So has anyone who sent back the first mailing via registered mail received a second notice?

On 10/23/2023 at 12:17 PM, Pib said:

And at least now thanks to pmarlin we know the 2nd mailing is out.

Yes and here it is December 2 and I have received my December SSA deposit and no second mailing even though I made the unconscionable decision to send in my (only) 2023 7162 form via registered mail.

12/01/2023
ACH
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION SSA XXSOC

55 minutes ago, Pib said:

It's not until the 3 Feb 2024 payday for Jan benefits that non-receipt  of a 7162 mailed back to Wilkes Barre would cause suspension of benefits.

Oh shucks. Well I haven't got the 2nd mailing which has been out since October nor did I last year with registered mail.

Since the mailing goes to Post Office Box 7162. Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania U.S.A. 18767-7162 I don't there is any mystery as to what the mailing entails.

But thanks for letting me know it's still too early for me to rest easy.

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Oh shucks. Well I haven't got the 2nd mailing which has been out since October nor did I last year with registered mail.

You are probably good-to-go....I would think any 2nd mailing would have arrived by now.  

As to how fast SSA mailings arrive I've been hand-walking a person thru his SSA pension application which was approved a few weeks ago (took around 5 months taking in account trying to setup a telephone interview with Manila, SSA review, doc mailings, etc) and during that process they required the person to complete a new SSA card form....that is, where you request a new SSA card.  Anyway he got that new card in snail mail the other day here in Bangkok and the regular airmail mailing from the U.S. to Bangkok took only 11 days.

49 minutes ago, Pib said:

You are probably good-to-go....I would think any 2nd mailing would have arrived by now.  

OK thanks. I certainly received the first mailing at my current new address of less than 2 years.

I have sent my 7162 back every year via registered mail and only from reading this topic did ever realize there was some reason not to do so.

On 11/26/2023 at 1:55 PM, jerrymahoney said:

So has anyone who sent back the first mailing via registered mail received a second notice?

Yes, I have.  And that's why I send multiple copies now.  Just sent 3rd one yesterday.  Actually cheaper to send 3 slow mail, than 1 registered.  2nd notice was for Mar/Apr 2021/2022's mailing, received Oct 2022.  Returned Oct 2022 and no interruption or 3rd notice/cancellation notice.

Was taking with IRS, (they called me), and got on the subject of Soc Sec NOT receiving 7162, and the gal advised me, they/SS are aware of the Wilkes Barre problem.   So something going on there, beyond staffing.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/2/2023 at 8:02 AM, Pib said:

It's not until the 3 Feb 2024 payday for Jan benefits that non-receipt  of a 7162 mailed back to Wilkes Barre would cause suspension of benefits.

February deposit received. Have a nice day, Mr. Merry Mailman

MV5BYTQ1N.jpg.5b1e649e3b8b28c54ee7652401bc3ae6.jpg

• Like 1

Like many here, my SSA benefits were suspended and I didn't receive a Feb 2024 payment. My 7162 evidently arrived late due to the Thai post office in my district holding onto mail for months before finally delivering it. I called the 1-800 # (40 mins on hold) and finally talked to a rep. I asked why was the 7162 sent via snail mail when my account (My SSA) is set up as email for everything. She told me 7162s ignore that setting and are always sent in paper form. (Arrrgghhh) I told her about the post service here and she said not her problem and said I'd probably be suspended every year. What great news! Anyway, My SSA now shows active again. I hope they will include the payment for the suspended month in the next payout. My question for you all is do you think it's a good idea to proactively send my 7162 to Wilkes Barre, PA twice a year to ensure I'm covered, perhaps send one in May and another in Oct. Thoughts?

Edited by jjbeta
Added more info.

45 minutes ago, jjbeta said:

My question for you all is do you think it's a good idea to proactively send my 7162 to Wilkes Barre, PA twice a year to ensure I'm covered, perhaps send one in May and another in Oct. Thoughts?

Probably not a good idea.   

What the SSA really wants to receive back from you is the "bar coded/partially completed" 7162 they mail out.   But in those cases where you did not receive the bar-coded form by 1 Nov (which is several weeks after their 2nd mailing in the Sep/Oct time frame) then the SSA is willing to accept a manually completed 7162/7161 which you can download from the Manila SSA website.   

It would be a good idea to include a short, signed memo saying you are mailing a manually completed form since you have not received the bar-coded form by 1 Nov....a reoccurring problem with your 3rd country postal system.  Mail a copy to Wilkes Barre and Manila.    https://ph.usembassy.gov/services/social-security/   

And I would mail it using "regular airmail"; not registered mail as register mail can frequently take 2 to 4 times longer to arrive its destination and not even be tracked for the entire trek which can imply it never arrived when maybe it did.   Plus registered mail costs a lot more now after the big price increase several years ago.

The SSA don't want to see a manually completed form before 1 Nov because you haven't given enough time for the 2nd mailing process to complete its course.   In the past Manila SSA had a webpage saying they don't want to see any manually completed 7162 before 1 Nov....and one year when I didn't receive a 1st or 2nd mailing when I contacted Manila before 1 Nov about not getting the form they responded to contact them again if I had not received the bar-coded mailing by 1 Nov.  They simply would provide a form before 1 Nov....but come 1 Nov they were more than happy to provide/accept a manually completed form.  

IMO when you mail in a manually completed 7162 a couple times of year because you are assuming you will not receive a bar-coded 7162 that Wilkes Barre may not process the form unless it arrived Wilkes Barre after 1 Nov.   They may feel you are just creating work for them, maybe its not really you mailing in the form but maybe the spouse that had you quietly barbequed at the local temple and really wants that SSA pension to continue flowing into a bank acct the spouse has access to.  Yes, it's getting harder for death of a US citizen living in a 3rd world country to not go unnoticed/reported to some US authority like SSA, US Embassy, etc.,  but apparently it still does happen...or at least the passing notification gets delayed/hidden for months and months. 

Your suspended Feb payment should occur a few weeks after the SSA unsuspends you account versus needing to wait for it to be included in the next regularly scheduled payment.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1