Looking to buy phone to use as hotspot

csaba81

52 minutes ago, Mickeymaus said:

But CAT whatever is used for wireless phone/data connections too. 

Only by the systems that are "hard Wired"!

There is no CAT 4. 6 or any number hard wire connection between a Hotspot transmitter and the receiver!

Stop confusing the situation  about something you obviously know nothing about (as usual)!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Are you serious? 

About what? CAT cables! ????

The subject is about Wi-Fi Hotspots from a Phone, or possibly a mobile Wi-Fi/dongle etc to an other Wi-Fi  capable RX/TX device!

There are no cables involved! Therefore CAT cable numbers etc are irrelevant to the OP's questions or this theme!

The magic involved in connecting the two deices is called Wi-Fi!

It has no cables between the transmitting device and the receiving device!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

The subject is about Wi-Fi Hotspots from a Phone, or possibly a mobile Wi-Fi/dongle etc to an other Wi-Fi  capable RX/TX device!

There are no cables involved! Therefore CAT cable numbers etc are irrelevant to the OP's questions or this theme!

LTE routers can be defined by Cat4, Cat6 and Cat12. 

As you point out, Category also defines the operating standards of cable. 

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, csaba81 said:

Exactly. Don't want to wear out my s21 doing hotspot duties.

Don't like dedicated hotspots because you have to pull the Sim out every time you want to renew your plan. 

Wear out? It doesnt wear out anything. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Only by the systems that are "hard Wired"!

There is no CAT 4. 6 or any number hard wire connection between a Hotspot transmitter and the receiver!

Stop confusing the situation  about something you obviously know nothing about (as usual)!

"Stop confusing the situation  about something you obviously know nothing about (as usual)!" 

So I am the idiot "as usual". Can't be more impolite. 

I am sorry. But you only insult people because you don't even have a basic knowledge. It is a very sick behaviour. You don't understand anything about CAT versions used in LTE connections. Read for instance at the link below and stop insulting posters because you have no knowledge. I didn't talk about WiFi connections or cables. But the CAT version is very important if you buy for instance a SIM card router or a phone. 

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-ue-category-class-definitions/

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, scottiejohn said:

Please inform yourself before you post such garbage. The CAT versions are very important if you buy a SIM card router or for instance a mobile phone. THIS CAT version number has nothing to do with ethernet cables. Please inform yourself at least a little bit and stop insulting posters. 

Edited by Mickeymaus
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, recom273 said:

Why not buy a decent sim router

I like this company https://www.gl-inet.com they are based in HK, Its run by an English guy. Support and products are spot on and intuitive.

If you have a SIM router, you will then need another internet SIM for your phone

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

If you have a SIM router, you will then need another internet SIM for your phone

I think that’s par for the course .. he has a Samsung phone which he doesn’t want to wear out with all those packets, so just needs a cheap non-Chinese phone to act as a hotspot. So I’m guessing he will need two sims either way. ????‍♀️ idk. 

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

I think that’s par for the course .. he has a Samsung phone which he doesn’t want to wear out with all those packets, so just needs a cheap non-Chinese phone to act as a hotspot. So I’m guessing he will need two sims either way. ????‍♀️ idk. 

Does the amount of data 'wear out' a phone?

23 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Does the amount of data 'wear out' a phone?

After so long in Thailand, don’t you just find yourself nodding and agreeing with peoples beliefs, true or not? 

Edited by recom273
  • Love It 1

11 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

The CAT versions are very important if you buy a SIM card router or for instance a mobile phone. THIS CAT version number has nothing to do with ethernet cables. Please inform yourself at least a little bit and stop insulting posters. 

Please inform the rest of us what a CAT cable has to do with a mobile phone, which is what this thread is all about, thanks.

30 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Please inform the rest of us what a CAT cable has to do with a mobile phone, which is what this thread is all about, thanks.

I think there is some major confusion here. 

The different 'Categories' represent cellular technologies with different data speeds, frequency spectrum, power usage and signal range.

@Mickeymaus mentioned nothing of data cable.

This explains LTE Cats well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What has a cable CAT version to do with the LTE CAT versions - nothing at all. If you buy a router or other LTE device this is important. Please inform yourself for instance here:

https://www.cablefree.net/wirelesstechnology/4glte/lte-ue-category-class-definitions/

And PLEASE all others too that still did not get the message that I don't talk about cables ????????????

And to the picture. You see the speeds. But the CAT version informs for instance also about the possible Carrier Aggregation. What is this? It has nothing to do with a cable again...

SmartSelect_20230605-143340_Chrome Beta.jpg

Edited by Mickeymaus

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

I think there is some major confusion here. 

@Mickeymaus mentioned nothing of data cable.

This explains LTE Cats well.

Thank you. It is hard to believe that I get blamed for their lack of knowledge. Hopefully they don't ask now why you are talking about cats... 

20 hours ago, csaba81 said:

Exactly. Don't want to wear out my s21 doing hotspot duties.

Don't like dedicated hotspots because you have to pull the Sim out every time you want to renew your plan. 

Actually you don’t. You can renew packages via the router interface by USSD code or by clicking through web interfaces. No need for the SIM to leave the router. 
Though as aforementioned, look out for carrier aggregation(CA) if you want or need the highest speed of throughput. Often expressed by using Cat.4(no carrier aggregation), Cat.6(2CA; possibility of 2 bands being linked together). Cat. 12(3CA; possibility of 3 bands being linked together) etc

Not all cheap smartphones are capable of carrier aggregation, so watch out for that too. 

Edited by NextG
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1