Legal ramifications for no show

5 hours ago, brianthainess said:

CC company could sell the debt to a debt collector company and they will find you eventually, with all kinds of threats, sometimes with gun in hand.

"...sometimes with gun in hand".

Why do some people post such unmitigated garbage?

4 hours ago, Pouatchee said:

Seizure of money from your bank account – many Canadian banks and financial institutions include a right of offset with their credit cards. This means they can seize money you have saved with them to go towards repaying your overdue debts, up to the full amount including interest and fees.

this is from my wonderful country... sucks to be canadian

There's a big difference between the over-dramatic "seizing whatever assets they can", as you claim, and only being able to seize funds that the debtor has deposited with that financial institution.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, bannork said:

It w is an unsecured loan. She has never paid any instalments as far as I know.she says she can't remember. She has been officially summoned to the Civil Court, the official letter was sent 2 months

ago and the date is later this week

The next action if she does not attend as required by the court will be the issuing of an arrest warrant.

5 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is not garbage, debt collectors who pay for debts are just the same as loan sharks, and i can assure you they do threaten people with guns.  

3 hours ago, bannork said:

I think she might find it hard to take the time off work, it's a long way there and back.

Yes, so much easier to ignore the court's summons now and then take time off without notice when she's arrested for not complying with the court's summons.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, brianthainess said:
32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

That is not garbage, debt collectors who pay for debts are just the same as loan sharks, and i can assure you they do threaten people with guns.  

Unofficial debt collectors, maybe, but not recognised agencies that the financial institutions factor their debtors to.  I can assure you that those official agencies do not threaten debtors with guns. There are heavy fines and prison sentences for debt collecting agencies that violate the many regulations.