1,000 women hold a sit-in at the Colorado Capitol to push for an end to gun violence

onthedarkside

28 minutes ago, Hanaguma said:

Somewhat ironic that they choose to protest during Pride Month, when the shooter who motivated their action was a member of the 2SLGBTQQIA+ community.

Sigh……….

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

According to the article, this is what the protestors want;

The plan was for the sit-in to continue until Gov. Jared Polis signed an executive order declaring a 30-day state of emergency, suspending the sale of guns during that period and ordering “a total ban on all guns and a comprehensive, mandatory buyback program.”

Lofty goals. Completely unobtainable and unrealistic, not to mention unconstitutional.   Does any country in the world have these restrictions? With the exception of North Korea and possibly China.

Something tells me these ladies are in for a loooooooooong summer. 

11 minutes ago, Credo said:

I think you mean lofty goals.  I think if they get even a small step toward their goals, there will be a drastic decrease in mass shootings.   

What would you consider a "small step" and how much of a decrease in mass shootings would result?

The fact that they want so much and seem a bit ignorant of what is entailed takes away from their seriousness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bkk Brian said:

Wow, very telling, a legal and peaceful demonstration calling for action on gun violence by 1,000 women and you bring up Pride month!

Whats even more ironic, the location was chosen not only because of the Covenant school mass shooting but also because of these:

"the state has been the site of some of the nation's most infamous mass shootings, including Columbine High School in 1999, the Aurora movie theater in 2012, and Club Q, an LGBTQ nightclub, in 2022, organizers said."

Its their children that are getting killed, the number one cause of death for young people in the US. This protest is not about gender issues, a shameful deflection.

It is all that Hanaguma does, deflect from the topic, and he can't even do that very well.

He has been on my ignore list for months now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

It is all that Hanaguma does, deflect from the topic, and he can't even do that very well.

He has been on my ignore list for months now.

I have? Oh dear.

On topic- I predict that they will not succeed in their goal of a total ban on guns and a mandatory buy back. They are wasting their time.  Any bets on how long they will actually last? I think 3 days at most before some start slinking away.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

I have? Oh dear.

On topic- I predict that they will not succeed in their goal of a total ban on guns and a mandatory buy back. They are wasting their time.  Any bets on how long they will actually last? I think 3 days at most before some start slinking away.

Lawfully expressing their opinions on a matter relating to mass killings of Americans is wasting time?

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Lawfully expressing their opinions on a matter relating to mass killings of Americans is wasting time?

It is because what they want is impossible to get. Any way, we will see how long they last. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

‘Impossible’ 

Lots of things were impossible until someone decided to get them done.

Exactly, although the notion that they would get a gun ban and buy back scheme within a few days was always doomed to failure. They knew that though, that was probably part of the strategy to get publicity. Most will probably have kids so won't be able to stay for long anyway.

However they've already achieved an enormous amount. As Biden says, "its time to act, its time make our voices heard". This should not be a dems or republicans thing. Its for the safety of all people in the US especially the younger generation. If you have kids you know, unfortunately there's far to many parents who know too much, because their children have died or been killed by guns.

This group has a vision and if they can get just half of their objectives done its a huge success. Good luck to them and I hope the protests grow to other states.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Bkk Brian said:

Exactly, although the notion that they would get a gun ban and buy back scheme within a few days was always doomed to failure. They knew that though, that was probably part of the strategy to get publicity. Most will probably have kids so won't be able to stay for long anyway.

However they've already achieved an enormous amount. As Biden says, "its time to act, its time make our voices heard". This should not be a dems or republicans thing. Its for the safety of all people in the US especially the younger generation. If you have kids you know, unfortunately there's far to many parents who know too much, because their children have died or been killed by guns.

This group has a vision and if they can get just half of their objectives done its a huge success. Good luck to them and I hope the protests grow to other states.

As you said in your last sentence, Good Luck to them and I truly hope that they succeed.

• Like 1