Trang warns of severe dengue fever outbreak, 2 deaths and 164 cases reported

604D9F05-1105-4ED1-9F1B-B77BFEC4635A.jpg

Trang province‘s public health department urges citizens to be vigilant against dengue fever as outbreaks become more severe, with two deaths and 164 infections reported, mostly among children. Authorities are expediting efforts to eliminate mosquito larvae.

The province’s deputy public health director, Wacharananon Tin-naiaython, revealed that dengue fever cases have increased significantly in the past two weeks, with 164 infections and two deaths, most of which have been in children. The hardest-hit districts are Hat Samran ranked first, followed by Wang Wiset. The disease has spread rapidly across various districts and villages, affecting 25 out of 8,000 people or 25 per 100,000 citizens. Children up to school age are at high risk of contracting the virus, and the treatment for them is more complicated than for adults, leading to less favourable outcomes.

Early symptoms of dengue fever resemble the common cold, and self-medication can be taken as long as the medication is not used for more than three days. As fevers rise, patients may experience fatigue, vomiting, severe headache, and especially in young children, rapid symptoms such as vomiting and dehydration, which can lead to a state of shock. Adults face similar risks and often misdiagnose their fever as a common cold, self-medicating without proper advice.

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/trang-province-warns-of-severe-dengue-outbreak-2-fatalities-and-164-cases-reported-2

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-07

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

3 minutes ago, Troy Tempest said:

I caught Dengue a few years ago.

In NO WAY did it resemble a Common Cold.

It was more like being run over by a Train and lasted for about 10 days!

It says "Early symptoms of dengue fever resemble the common cold", which is how I recall it starting, then I got the aches and pains and felt like I been run over by a bus. After the blood test confirmed dengue, the hospital wanted to admit me, but I said I'd see it out at home. I was laid up on little more than fluids for a week, and totally knackered for a couple more after that.

12 minutes ago, Stocky said:

It says "Early symptoms of dengue fever resemble the common cold", which is how I recall it starting, then I got the aches and pains and felt like I been run over by a bus. After the blood test confirmed dengue, the hospital wanted to admit me, but I said I'd see it out at home. I was laid up on little more than fluids for a week, and totally knackered for a couple more after that.

Well with me I was fine one morning at 11:00 am and had just arranged to go for lunch with my next door neighbour at Midday.

By Noon It struck without warning...I had no prior symptoms.

I went to hospital for tests and they confrmed Dengue....I also declined their offer of a bed, but had to go back to the hospital for daily blood tests and platelet counts!...I was very rough for about 10 days.