Researchers sound alarm over "unprecedented ice-free" threat to Arctic

onthedarkside

9 minutes ago, nauseus said:

I didn't say 4 million years ago. Nothing to do with shipping and I was not talking about threats. Why not try and sell gibberish this somewhere else?

You explicitly referred  to a claim that the last time this occurred was 4 milliojn years ago. My reference to an open shipping passage was a commonly used indicator to define "ice free" in the arctic, otherwise some pedantic people here will claim that since it's not absolutely ice free then it's not ice free for the purposes of any meaningful discussion.

3 hours ago, ozimoron said:

You explicitly referred  to a claim that the last time this occurred was 4 milliojn years ago. My reference to an open shipping passage was a commonly used indicator to define "ice free" in the arctic, otherwise some pedantic people here will claim that since it's not absolutely ice free then it's not ice free for the purposes of any meaningful discussion.

That I replied to a post mentioning this supposed 4 million years does not mean that I agree with that number. I was not replying to you anyway and your "explicitly referred" line is just more nonsense.

Furthermore, while a ship may be able to navigate across previously impassable regions within the polar circles, that does not necessarily mean that the entire polar region will be ice-free.  

• Like 2