CNS Chief's 'Plan' To Contest The Election

Mid

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's nothing usual about it at all ,

we usually don't have a CNS .........................

Correct; the unusual is that the Generals are here now, to stay.

In power, until the next coup arrives but than hopefully to restore REAL democracy.

LaoPo

TRT demonstrators support Gen Sonthi's plan to enter politics

Thai Rak Thai demonstrators affirm that they are supportive of Gen Sonthi's future participation in politics.

Thai Rak Thai demonstration leader, and former Thai Rak Thai Member of Parliament to Chiang Mai province, Surapong Thowichakchaikul (สุรพงษ์ โตวิจักษ์ชัยกุล ), said that members of the Thai Rak Thai Party are ready to welcome the Army Commander in Chief and Chairman of the Council for National Security Gen Sonthi Boonyaratglin if he chooses to participate in politics upon his retirement. Mr. Surapong said that Gen Sonthi's entry into politics will serve as a test of whether the public trusted and placed confidence in him.

The Thai Rak Thai demonstration leader said that the the soon-to-be reformed Thai Rak Thai Party would be happy to welcome Gen Sonthi if he wished to join.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 July 2007

The man himself sounds cautious and noncommital, not very different from his usual self. If there's a sinister motive behind his words, it doesn't show.

Don't forget that he reversed a few unpopular decisions already, and despite all the rumours about Sonthi turning into a full fledged dictator they didn't materialise.

'I still have two months to contribute to Army, CNS'

Council for National Security chairman Sonthi Boonyaratglin talks to Nation Group Editor Thepchai Yong about growing speculation over his 'political future'.

Published on July 12, 2007

The following are excerpts from the interview on the "Siam This Morning" television programme broadcast on Channel 5 yesterday morning.

You said it would depend on the country's chance of survival if you would enter politics. Could you please explain that statement?

There are many elements involving security of the country - the military, the economy, social issues and others. So I have to wait and see before making the decision. I insist that I have not thought about my political future yet. I still have two months before my retirement.

What are the indicators about the country's chance of survival?

One of them is that the national referendum is passed and the general election is held.

If politicians from the old power clique return, does this indicate the country's survival?

It is a factor. Yet we have to consider every angle. I have not made up my mind yet. I may take a rest when I retire because I have been very tired since [the coup].

Prasong Soonsiri, chairman of the Constitution Drafting Assembly, cautioned you that after being a professional soldier throughout your career, you might be trounced by experienced politicians.

I have to thank him. But if we live in a good environment, we should not worry about what we will experience.

It seems opposition against you entering politics outweighs the support. What do you have to say?

I have to read between the lines the viewpoints supporting and opposing. Yet I listen to all of the opinions. I'll try to figure out if both the supporters and the critics have any hidden agenda in their minds.

Latest reports said that the Rak Chat Party would be set up to retain military power. Do you know the Rak Chat Party?

I believe nobody in the CNS knows this party. Nor do I.

If you decide to become a politician, it seems hard to set up a new political party by yourself.

That's right. However, I still haven't made up my mind about joining with any political party. As I told you, I still have two months and I'll now contribute to the Army and the CNS.

Many people including Defence Minister Boonrawd Somtas said that you would certainly enter politics because you were afraid of revenge without political protection. Do you fear being a target for revenge?

I have no concern. Goodness is my protection. The defence minister knows me well. I talked to him straightforwardly and he appeared to analyse from what I said.

http://nationmultimedia.com/2007/07/12/pol...cs_30040467.php

Edited by Plus

Thai politics is one big muppet show . With Kermit and miss Piggy gone and entertaining themselves with soccer matches .

The Monsters have taken over the show . The biggest Monster even considering to take over the presenting of the show !

The Monster coupe is always a bad thing , because the mosters are to big to take them out forever . Thailand is finished

and it will take years before the show will be like as in the old days . I wish it was all a dream afterall . But no still living the dream.

Indeed my position would be the same as those TRT demonstrators: In a free country, anyone can run in an election. Also, if he actually runs and loses then it would be much harder for the military to cling on to power for whatever reason. And if he is in a party that wins, well fair enough then.

what's wrong with this picture ..............

lead a coup ,

impose military rule at the point of a gun ( fired or not )

spend the next 12 mths destroying arguably the most popular political party ever , to the point of having the highest court in the land dissolve it .

whilst attending to the above don't forget to rewrite the rules , after all nows your chance .

retire from the military and lead the party you destroyed to victory in the next elections .

nice work , if you can get it .

lead a coup ,

spend the next 12 mths destroying arguably the most popular political party ever , to the point of having the highest court in the land dissolve it .

whilst attending to the above don't forget to rewrite the rules , after all nows your chance .

retire from the military and lead the party you destroyed to victory in the next elections .

What's wrong? All a little too perfect; something has to go wrong somewhere - doesn't it ? :o

By the way if this works I can turn it into my new retirement plan - hubbie says he is so sick of it he might go into politics, nows my chance!!

Sonthi willing to listen to those around him

(BangkokPost.com) - Council for National Security (CNS) Chief Sonthi Boonyarakalin has vowed to heed the advice of those who have urged him to reconsider his political ambitions if reports of his plans to run in the next general elections turn out to be true.

"I care about my own well-being and I will listen to those who care about me," says Gen Sonthi.

The Post Publishing Public Co

all may not be lost ...........................

lead a coup ,

Devil's Advocate here, but would you agree with the old maxim that says that every country / nation gets the Government it deserves?

Devil's Advocate here, but would you agree with the old maxim that says that every country / nation gets the Government it deserves?

sad thing is I'm beginning to ...........................

sad thing is I'm beginning to ...........................

Me too. People generally have to endure real hardship and even famine to gain the will to overthrow repressive regimes. As in Europe of the last century and beyond. Sometimes brutal governments can be overthrown by "people power" and replaced by something even worse....

Benign or not, this is a dictatorship that needs to be replaced with an elected government asap, if this country and its people want to go forwards.

Thats right , everything being elected is allready forward . But the thing is being elected , in Thailand , it not necessarily means it was by truthful meaning . Things get very manipulated here , I think by lack of information to the people and even more lack of choices for partys they can vote on. It all starts with the roots . Good education is only for the rich , only good educated people will be elected . On top of that the powerful families structures all around the country make it impossible for normal people to go anywhere , it is a cultural thing also . All these things probably will never change , so never will be a stable country where everybody has got the same rights . It goes around al the time , with the power shifting non stop .

Thai politics are very complicated .

I might have this wrong, but I believe that TRT meant that they welcome the General into the race, so they can enjoy watching him being eviscerated by all the citizens who will not be amused that he wants to hang on to power.

That would make more sense wouldn't it, and that was what I was expecting them to say. Maybe the person who wrote the article did not specify things correctly. The alternative just seems too absurd.

Edited by vermin on arrival

CNS chief has personal right to enter politics, says PM

YALA: -- It is a personal right of Council for National Security (CNS) chairman Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkalin to enter politics upon his retirement, according to Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont.

Commenting on news indicating that the army commander-in-chief would probably decide to enter politics, the premier said Gen. Sonthi had the personal right to do that when he retired.

But whether he would be successful in the political career depended on the people's support, Gen. Surayud said.

In the opinion of many, it is inappropriate and seen as an attempt to hold onto power if the coup leader decides to play politics, Prime Minister Surayud said, but it is up to Gen .Sonthi himself to decide whether it is suitable or not.

Asked to comment on Constitution Drafting Assembly (CDA) chairman Squadron Leader Prasong Soonsiri's statement that Gen. Sonthi should not enter politics because there are neither friends nor foes in politics, he said as a professional soldier he had already decided not to play politics.

But for others, it is their own decision to choose whether they should enter politics upon retirement.

Regarding CDA chairman Prasong's warning that the people might reject the draft constitution in the referendum if Gen. Sonthi decided to play politics, Gen. Surayud said the CNS chief had yet to decide to do that when he retired.

In his opinion the people would understand if he did that upon his retirement.

--TNA 2007-07-12

Supreme Commander says CNS Chairman free to pursue political career after retirement

The Supreme Commander indicates that the Chairman of the Council for National Security is free to decide whether or not to participate in politics upon his retirement.

Supreme Commander and Council for National Security member Gen Boonsarng Neampradit (บุญสร้าง เนียมประดิษฐ์) said that Gen Sonthi had the freedom to choose whether he wished to pursue a political career once he enters retirement. Gen Boonsarng said that no laws prevented Gen Sonthi from entering politics, and that Gen Sonthi's political career does not reflect a continuance of the Council for National Security's influence.

The Supreme Commander added that the attempt of demonstration groups to overthrow the 2007 constitution is not a major point of concern, as officials believed that the public are aware of the necessity of the 2007 constitution, which will allow the nation to proceed with general elections and overcome its political situation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 July 2007

that Gen Sonthi's political career does not reflect a continuance of the Council for National Security's influence.

say it as often as you like ,

doesn't change the perception .

as officials believed that the public are aware of the necessity of the 2007 constitution,

thanxs , now we know your far removed from reality ............................

I’m with Mid, this is a fairly sinister situation creeping up here. Sonthi uses military power to overthrow the government, just prior to an election. He then has the courts disqualify the leaders of the countries most popular party. Then he has adjusts the rules of government to include his appointed military officials as voting members in parliament. And now he is maneuvering to become the legitimately elected leader. Talk about setting the rules of the game. This guy is smart and once he’s in the election, I have no doubt it will roll his direction, he knows how to stack the deck.

This dictatorship may take decades to fall.

lead a coup ,

i think you should re-read the quote. i believe it says that trt would love to see sonthi try and possibly fail in politics as a gauge of his real popularity, not that they welcome him into their party.

The Thai Rak Thai demonstration leader said that the the soon-to-be reformed Thai Rak Thai Party would be happy to welcome Gen Sonthi if he wished to join.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 12 July 2007

appoligies if it seems personal ,

in a way it is , there's a closed eating house and 4 Thai's out of work , that I see every morning .........................................

I’m with Mid, this is a fairly sinister situation creeping up here. Sonthi uses military power to overthrow the government, just prior to an election. He then has the courts disqualify the leaders of the countries most popular party. Then he has adjusts the rules of government to include his appointed military officials as voting members in parliament. And now he is maneuvering to become the legitimately elected leader. Talk about setting the rules of the game. This guy is smart and once he’s in the election, I have no doubt it will roll his direction, he knows how to stack the deck.

This dictatorship may take decades to fall.

Yeah, this is exactly the take you should have on it if Sonthi were to run and absolutely why it would be a travesty if he did.

Defence Minister confident Gen.Sonthi’s decision to enter politics will not affect charter referendum

Minister of Defence Gen.Boonrod Somtad (บุญรอด สมทัศน์) expresses his belief that the Chairman of National Security (CNS)’s decision to enter politics will not affect the result of the referendum of the constitution draft.

Gen.Boonrod calls on people not to relate the referendum to the possibility that CNS Chairman Gen.Sonthi Boonyaratglin might contest the general election after his retirement. He also expresses confidence that the majority of people has adequate knowledge about the 2007 constitution draft and wants to see it pass the referendum.

According to the minister, there are some groups of people who have used the issue of Gen.Sonthi’s political future to boycott the charter draft. However, he suggests that Gen.Sonthi should listen to feedbacks from all sides before deciding to take up a political role.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 13 July 2007