Is this Clover?

2 hours ago, patman30 said:

not clover afaik
don't ask me the name
i got that growing, you should see some small yellow flowers soon
it is great for ground cover and provides nutirients to other plants according to the wife

Yes it flowers, and I get it that it's great for ground cover, that's why I want to get rid of it, since it is in the middle of my lawn.

It's now about 3 x 3 meter, and spreading quickly. So any suggestions on how to kill it without killing the grass would be welcome.

2 minutes ago, BenStark said:

Yes it flowers, and I get it that it's great for ground cover, that's why I want to get rid of it, since it is in the middle of my lawn.

It's now about 3 x 3 meter, and spreading quickly. So any suggestions on how to kill it without killing the grass would be welcome.

lol, we are growing it, not getting rid of it

Controversy over the benefits of cultivating it aside, you want to eradicate it and establish a uniform grass lawn. 

I don't know the species ID. Google Lens is rapidly becoming the superior plant ID app. 

Chemical control has some disadvantages and uncertainties. I would dig it out (ship it to Patman30 who appreciates it) 10 to 15cm beyond the margins of the grow, and 10 - 15cm deep. Replace the underlying soil.  Purchase and install sod (pre-grown grass mats) of the same species as your surrounding turf. Top dress with fine topsoil and/or compost, water until muddy-wet and then compress to level and settle into place. Water daily if no significant rain. until its rooted and new growth appears. Then back off on watering to a less frequent schedule, to be determined by conditions and need. Avoid foot traffic, kid's play or pets access.  Fence it temorarily if necessary. Don't mow it for a couple of weeks or a month, until well rooted and growing, it needs grass blade surface to photosynthesize carbs for rooting. 

Monitor daily, or at least weekly, throughout the growing season. If it flowered and seeded, or if it has persistant roots or rhizomes you will have more come up. Hand pull or dig undesireables at an early stage. Deferred maintenance, advanced "weed" growth is always harder to control. 

Edited by drtreelove

10 hours ago, patman30 said:

not clover afaik
don't ask me the name
i got that growing, you should see some small yellow flowers soon
it is great for ground cover and provides nutirients to other plants according to the wife

Your wife should be acknowledged for a profound statement of understanding. Perennial ground covers and mixed species plantings, some better than others, are highly beneficial in channeling photosynthate root exudates into the soil  that nourish the beneficial soil biology and the rhizosphere, facilitating soil aggregate structure buiilding, nutrient cycling and plant heatlh. Much better for surrounding and intermingled plantings than grass alone.  See posts and links and videos shared in the Regenerative Agriculture discussion on the Farming in Thailand Forum. 

I haven't a clue what your weed is but it isn't clover,Is it possible to buy a selective weedkiller for grass in Thailand? If so I'd spray the weed and beyond the edges of the growth,if it doesn't all die off respray it and keep doing so until no more appear,the roots of your grass may eventually fill the gap or else put seed down.

I used a water/vinegar mix with a drop of soap to spray it, and a few hours later it was all brown.

Under the leaves it is still green, maybe takes a bit longer to die off completely

No damage to the grass as far as I can detect.

I guess wait a few more days, maybe spray one more time, and then spread builders sand over it to break the clay ground, as I think that is the main reason why it grows, as it stands with its feet in the water