Dog bites 5-year-old child, nearly severs ear, owner offers only 10,000 baht compensation without apology

webfact

8 hours ago, billd766 said:

Great plan. 

Just blame the 5 year old victim.

What about the 3 other times that the dog has bitten people.

Were they all at fault according to you?

Obviously you have never been involved in investigations . Every case on its own merits. And reasons established. I suggest you rush at your neighbours dog fluttering a plastic bag and see its reaction. Better still come do it to my Rottweiler. I do not condone savage Dogs but too often people blame the animal when a human provoked it.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, nglodnig said:

Well lashing worked for Roya Navy sailors - that and rum, according to Winston Churchill. Plus something else we're not allowed to mention. 

You mean the belled bottoms don't you????

18 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

And the article clearly states that on those previous occasions the child's mother admitted that her son had instigated those incidents...the same child who was approaching the same dog with a plastic bag this time.  Perhaps...?

That's the way I read it, though you'd wonder why a child twice bitten would torment the animal a third time. There is no reason not to believe that the boy didn't instigate this attack too, given he had a stick and plastic bag and was unsupervised. The question is should the dog be expected not to react violently to provocation, particularly by a small child. There is also the bite to the older brother's leg to be considered. I'd be demanding a series of rabies shots too for both children. I imagine the animal has been mistreated before by people and is wary of them. I guess the dog should be humanely euthanised, particularly given the owner's lack of remorse or willingness to accept real responsibility. At the same time, you wonder how the situation might have been different if locals showed more kindness and respect to dogs.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dene16 said:

Thank you for emphasising the fact you have never lived in a village environment as your comments seem to imply

As you feel it is important to highlight parts of the report i will do the same, They had a dog named Big, which freely roamed around the front of the house. The dog's owner, who is also a relative and lives across the street.

I have lived in a village for approx 8 years, i see, every day without fail, adults throwing stones, sticks, you name it at dogs to get them off their property to stop them killing chicks, stealing food etc

I go to great lengths to make sure they know and like me so I don't get bitten however it does not help me once I am out of my localised area.

Apologises for not explaining that only at night  they get together with the other dogs and turn into vicious pack animals. During the day they will most often stay solitary.

Unfortunately no adult is going to educate a 5 year old child on how to treat a dog as they have no idea themselves, but he can see, how they do treat them.

In my eyes that does not put the child (who will naturally copy his peers)at fault but the people around him

In twenty years i have never found a dog that knows how to play in Thailand. throw a stick a ball etc they all believe they are going to be hit.

If and i must empathise IF the dog has not attacked a child before, baring in mind, he roams freely. Any child walking past him is now in great danger of being mauled should he get irritated

The dog needs to be put down regardless of whether the boy was at fault or not

You seem to be devoid of all logic in this matter

Well said, 100% correct!

13 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Great picture - the future for all these disgusting, stinking animals. Alternatively minced and sold as cat food.... and vice versa.

"According to the WHO, rabid dogs are responsible for about 25,000 deaths per year throughout the world. Countries with large populations of strays see correspondingly high rates of rabies and about 36 percent of rabies deaths occur in India each year, most of which come from people coming into contact with rabid dogs.

The number of individuals who suffered from dog bites annually.  More recently, according to a randomized survey conducted from 2001-2003, an estimated 4.521 million suffered from dog bites each year."

Exterminate them all. No more dog sh*t......... heaven!

You evidently have no idea of the cruel manner in which dogs destined to be food in Vietnam are treated and killed. If dogs in the country were treated with love and respect instead of being dumped on the streets and forced to fend for themselves by irresponsible and callous owners, there would be so many strays. The strays themselves need to be neutered, but no government is prepared to accept responsibility for this either. The dogs did not ask for their fate. 

13 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Looks like the nearest was a Golden Retriever.

Golden Retrievers are among the most commonly used dogs for food in China, apparently due to breeders selling unwanted dogs. Any dog rescue video you view from China will contain numerous GRs among the dogs in the trucks and crates. They are also a breed which are the friendliest and least aggressive of all dogs. 

6 hours ago, nglodnig said:

Well lashing worked for Roya Navy sailors - that and rum, according to Winston Churchill. Plus something else we're not allowed to mention. 

Rum, bum and concertina whilst at sea,  wine women and song when ashore ,  which bit are we not allowed to mention     the concertina??

On 6/9/2023 at 5:00 AM, webfact said:

This was not the first time the dog had bitten someone. It had happened three times, but on the previous two occasions, it occurred at the store, which was the owner's aunt's house. Since her son instigated those incidents, Ms. Sathita did not demand compensation.

However, this time, the incident happened in their own house. She decided to report it to seek compensation because her child almost lost his organs. The physical wounds might heal, but the mental trauma remained.

So the dog bit the child two other times, but they decided that the child had done something to the dog to make it bite him, but now the dog attacked him in a different location, so it's the dog's fault this time?

It sounds like this could have been prevented a long time ago.  While dogs that bite should not be allowed around children (or really anyone), they should be keeping a better eye on their child if he has made the dog bite him a number of times before.

What a mess.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Kiwiken clearly thinks dogs are smart enough to predict that a child approaching with a plastic bag is about to suffocate them....   Kiwiken must be living in a world where the animals are smarter than he is !!!! 

Perhaps the dog had had a previous encounter with Ferrari Joe and was traumatized by the approach with the plastic bag, going into flight or "bite” mode...or something..? ????

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

You think that 200k will be spent on treatment for the traumatized kid? Or a deposit on a new Vigo?

It'll be negotiated down to a deposit on a second hand Honda Wave...but not the top of the range 125i of course...that'd be excessive! 

On 6/9/2023 at 2:00 PM, Kaopad999 said:

Come on Thailand, time to eradicate  these muts. 

We know that ,But don't wast your breath , It ain't going to happen.

Nothing will be done until a mad Dog bites and kills the PM and his Cronies.

Don't bother no such luck.

On 6/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, NativeBob said:

please, do not equate child and a dog. this only equates you to animal, which is derogatory.

and on the bright side: 

There is a house in Bangkok 

Called The Embassy of Korea (southern one)

And around that house

Not a single dog - stray or domestic.

Coincidence? I don't think so )

Almost fits to the tune of the "house of the rising sun" (which I can't get out of my head now dammit!)

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 1:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Kiwiken clearly thinks dogs are smart enough to predict that a child approaching with a plastic bag is about to suffocate them....   Kiwiken must be living in a world where the animals are smarter than he is !!!! 

Seem like a sensible assumption to me. There are some thick people out there.

On 6/9/2023 at 5:18 PM, jesimps said:

Wrong. Lots of dogs bite without any provocation at all. Unlike present day humans who they invent a syndrome for, some are just bad.

What is wrong? I stated that a dog should not bite, right? After that I also did not think the boy provoked the dog. Please, learn to read.

• Haha 1

On 6/9/2023 at 3:13 PM, NativeBob said:

please, do not equate child and a dog. this only equates you to animal, which is derogatory.

My apologies to the dog,  likening it to an untrained, spoilt brat with bullying tendencies human child, was uncalled for.

????

• 8 months later...
On 6/10/2023 at 10:18 AM, Bday Prang said:

Rum, bum and concertina whilst at sea,  wine women and song when ashore ,  which bit are we not allowed to mention     the concertina??

It seems like a lighthearted nod to the traditional sailor's life, where rum, bum, and the concertina bring joy at sea, while ashore it's all about wine, women, and song.

• Thanks 1