Ex-beauty queen’s rapid Thai police promotion sparks patronage investigation call

webfact

image.jpeg

A former beauty pageant contestant’s rapid ascent through the ranks of the Thai police force has sparked concerns over potential patronage and corruption. The individual in question reportedly rose from police lance corporal to police captain in under two years, prompting calls for an investigation into the matter.

A post on the “Phuen Tamruat” Facebook page highlighted the issue, stating that numerous civilians, including high-profile individuals and celebrities, become commissioned police officers after completing a 17-week training course. The post detailed the rapid promotion of a female civilian who joined the force as a police lance corporal in late 2021 and quickly rose through the ranks, becoming a police captain earlier this month.

The Facebook post called on Move Forward Party spokesperson Rangsiman Rome to push for a formal investigation into alleged patronage within the police force and misuse of the training course. Rome responded, explaining that the course was initially designed for training civilians who qualify to become commissioned officers, with many of them coming from well-known families.

by Mitch Connor

Photo Courtesy of Bangkok Post

Full story: https://thethaiger.com/news/national/ex-beauty-queens-rapid-police-promotion-sparks-patronage-investigation-call

Thaiger

-- © Copyright Thaiger 2023-06-09

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

UK police also have a Fast Track system.

"The aim of the programme is to attract, identify and develop the most talented who wish to reach senior levels of leadership within the police service. They will bring new perspectives, diverse skills, have a positive influence on the continuous development of policing, and impact on the management and culture of the service. 

The programme also supports individuals to advance to the rank of inspector within two years for serving constables and to reach the senior ranks of the service (at least superintendent).

Overall, it supports individuals’ continuing professional development to provide a cadre of officers with the skills, experience and capacity to reach the senior ranks in the service.

If you feel you have the potential and drive to become a fast track officer and reach senior levels in police leadership then Fast Track could be the programme for you"

https://www.college.police.uk/career-learning/learning/courses/fast-track-programme-serving-constables\

Just sayin...

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, proton said:

Sister in law did the police entry exam in 2010, the 'pass' mark was 400k so she failed ????

Yes this beauty queen was fast tracked via a trail of brown envelopes or I'll eat my shirt.

A relative of my wife's tried to join the cops also but was shy of the passing grades by a lot of $$$.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

For men the taller you are the better chances of promotion. For women the more attractive you are then “the world is your oyster”.  It is what it was, is and will always be.  I have always been short in terms of American standards and well you know the rest.  Just another day in paradise.  Move along, nothing to see here.  

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Who's the bloke in the photo?

I'm assuming he isn't the beauty pageant contestant, but this is Thailand.

The guy in the photo is Police Major General Archayon Kraithong nickkname (golf) who is a deputy commissioner of Immigration, but is on loan to RTP headquarters to act as their chief spokesman!  Nice guy, that has been my friend for more than 15 years.  Speaks almost perfect English!  Very straight in what he does personally with me.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

UK police also have a Fast Track system.

"The aim of the programme is to attract, identify and develop the most talented who wish to reach senior levels of leadership within the police service. They will bring new perspectives, diverse skills, have a positive influence on the continuous development of policing, and impact on the management and culture of the service. 

The programme also supports individuals to advance to the rank of inspector within two years for serving constables and to reach the senior ranks of the service (at least superintendent).

Overall, it supports individuals’ continuing professional development to provide a cadre of officers with the skills, experience and capacity to reach the senior ranks in the service.

If you feel you have the potential and drive to become a fast track officer and reach senior levels in police leadership then Fast Track could be the programme for you"

https://www.college.police.uk/career-learning/learning/courses/fast-track-programme-serving-constables\

Just sayin...

The devil is in the detail.  The UK police fast-track is to get people with the skills into top-level positions who might otherwise not get there ever, or take a long time.  It's meant to benefit the officers but also the force.

If the Thai version means unqualified people who are of no benefit can buy their way into an officer position, then it isn't the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

The Facebook post called on Move Forward Party spokesperson Rangsiman Rome to push for a formal investigation into alleged patronage within the police force and misuse of the training course.

A nice idea, but this guy would have his work cut out.

6 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

"For serving constables" is the key phrase, it's not for someone straight in off the street.

2 hours ago, Brickleberry said:

I wish ASEANnow would stop giving credence to 'the Thaiger'.

It's not a reputable news source, it does not hire qualified journalists (the person who wrote this article - Mitch- is a college dropout. Studied a little bit of journalism, and then dropped out to become an ESL teacher.) and all of the stories are rip-offs from other news sources. They even stole Richard Barrow's photo from Twitter this week and edited out his copyright mark.

The Thaiger is a place that will suck all the personal data that it can mine out of your computer, and sell it on to as many people as they can. Let's do better ASEANnow.

I thought (assumed) Thaiger was owned by the same owner of AN.... hence the usage as a "news" source.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1