Expat Haven In Cool Mountain Areas In Thailand?

JR Texas

JR Texas: Some of us are sick and tired of the heat and humidity (and water and air pollution) in the lowlands........the Philippines has Baguio (supposedly a cool expat haven in the mountains), Panama has Boqueta (a cool expat haven in the mountains).......does Thailand have an expat haven in the mountains?

As far as I know, the answer is "no." Some people will probably sai "Pai," but I do not think it is that cool and is too undeveloped. I do know Thais are scared of the mountains.......they think ghosts (Peeeeeeeee) live up there.

JR Texas: Some of us are sick and tired of the heat and humidity (and water and air pollution) in the lowlands........the Philippines has Baguio (supposedly a cool expat haven in the mountains), Panama has Boqueta (a cool expat haven in the mountains).......does Thailand have an expat haven in the mountains?

As far as I know, the answer is "no." Some people will probably sai "Pai," but I do not think it is that cool and is too undeveloped. I do know Thais are scared of the mountains.......they think ghosts (Peeeeeeeee) live up there.

'Thais are scared of the mountains'

truly one of your better classic lines :-)

Loei is quite popular at the moment and fairly cheap. Closer to BKK, Khao Yai is the nearest i can think of.

Realistically none of these places are that cool, the height AFAIK is insufficient to get really cool weather. Many places do not have titles suitable for development.

If it's cheap and cool you want check out Guatemala and Ecuador. Quite a few Americans live in both countries. You can be very comfortable in Quetzaltenango, also known as Xela, Guatemala, for less than $800 a month. Google Xela Pages for more info. 2 other locations very popular with Americans and others in Guatemala are Panajachel and Antigua. They're more expensive than Xela but reasonable. The Philippines have 84 million people in an area about half the size of Thailand with Asia's highest birthrate. The problems they have will only get worse. Baguio is known for bad air and earthquakes. One of the most seismicly active areas in a country known for earthquakes.

I'm wondering why Malaysia isn't considered more by many here? Is it due to the Muslim population and thus much more restrictive entertainent wise? I'm really attracted to the idea of having great food, bookstores, and movies in Chiang Mai, but Penang sounds like a good alternative.

Some people are sick of everything / everywhere. I suggest a short break back home in their home countries to imbue a little perspective and thus appreciation of things that they could have taken for granted or overlooked here. Works for me. :o

The answer to your question is no, but you already knew that. I would suggest you spend the summer in the Colorado Rockies and the winter in Key West, Florida.

I am going to check out Ecuador, Peru, Argentina and Chile with a few others once I get set back home.

Urguay is one of the most stable countries in South America which is reasonable on cost but not cheap.

Read SAE ( South American Explorer) they have some info to get you started. Panama other than the area

you mention is hot like Thailand most of the year.

Take Panama off the list............

Panama is not what it was, since the election the new government has made it very clear they are anti foreign real estate investment and not welcoming expats who wish to live long term.

They are also talking about reversing all the tax incentives put in place to attract foreign investment. Visa rules have already been tightened.

First I have heard of this but then again it was very low on the list when almost everything as far as real estate involves

a expat in it. The temp is just a bit unbearable most of the year, also Florida real Estate is cheaper now to boot and that place is a shithole. Florida a place to keep elder parents is about it as far as I am concerned and another place that has or will have severe potable water problems to come.

Panama is not what it was, since the election the new government has made it very clear they are anti foreign real estate investment and not welcoming expats who wish to live long term.

They are also talking about reversing all the tax incentives put in place to attract foreign investment. Visa rules have already been tightened.

Edited by Khun ?

First I have heard of this but then again it was very low on the list when almost everything as far as real estate involves

a expat in it. The temp is just a bit unbearable most of the year, also Florida real Estate is cheaper now to boot and that place is a shithole. Florida a place to keep elder parents is about it as far as I am concerned and another place that has or will have severe potable water problems to come.

JR Texas: to Vantexan: Malaysia is probably fine now (Penang?) but radical Islam is rising and the government has a policy in place to INCREASE the size of the population by 70 million people, last time I looked (totally insane population policy.....so it is set for future ruin and it will severely impact southern Thailand).

to Khun: Panama is hot but Boqueta is not......up in the mountains and is considered one of the best places to retire.

to Womble: never heard anything about the "new rules" making Panama off limits to retirement or investment.......the last I heard the rules were far more favorable than those in Thailand.

to Gary A: I sort of new the answer....but always open to new information. I suspect that some large real estate/development company would make a fortune in Thailand if they would build an expat haven in the mountains.

to Steveromagnino: Every Thai I have ever talked to about this, and just did it again 10 minutes ago, has told me that Thais are scared of living in the mountains because they believe ghosts are there.......they are not scared of the mountains (made a mistake in wording).

Boqueta, I am aware of the place anddone some reading on it a few years ago. Property was more than U.S. price

for what you get. Just seen on CNN about Panama how developers are building the place out like they id bangkok in the early 90's.

Building a place for expats in the mountains would mainly have to be rent only places due to ownership laws.

Thais that could afford it would not ant to live in a rural foreigner enclave.

Edited by Khun ?

ave already been tightened.

JR Texas: to Vantexan: Malaysia is probably fine now (Penang?) but radical Islam is rising and the government has a policy in place to INCREASE the size of the population by 70 million people, last time I looked (totally insane population policy.....so it is set for future ruin and it will severely impact southern...

Considering Malaysia has 24 million people now and most live on the peninsula that would be crazy. From reading I've learned that Malaysian Muslims aren't Shia or Sunni but a sect that promotes peace. Most likely a radical few there but the vast majority appear to like foreigners. Penang is an island state in Malaysia that is the only state that isn't majority Malay. Has a Chinese majority of 60% with about an 8% Indian minority if i remember right. Like Chiang Mai Penang is noted for it's food. Islands Magazine just named it one of the 20 best islands in the world to live on. Sea breezes moderate the ciimate somewhat. The Malaysia My Second Home program is now open to anyone and offers a 10 year visa that allows you to come and go as you please. And as a former British colony most Malaysians speak English. 10,000 foreigners have moved to Malaysia so far under their program.

ave already been tightened.

JR Texas: to Vantexan: Malaysia is probably fine now (Penang?) but radical Islam is rising and the government has a policy in place to INCREASE the size of the population by 70 million people, last time I looked (totally insane population policy.....so it is set for future ruin and it will severely impact southern...

Considering Malaysia has 24 million people now and most live on the peninsula that would be crazy. From reading I've learned that Malaysian Muslims aren't Shia or Sunni but a sect that promotes peace. Most likely a radical few there but the vast majority appear to like foreigners. Penang is an island state in Malaysia that is the only state that isn't majority Malay. Has a Chinese majority of 60% with about an 8% Indian minority if i remember right. Like Chiang Mai Penang is noted for it's food. Islands Magazine just named it one of the 20 best islands in the world to live on. Sea breezes moderate the ciimate somewhat. The Malaysia My Second Home program is now open to anyone and offers a 10 year visa that allows you to come and go as you please. And as a former British colony most Malaysians speak English. 10,000 foreigners have moved to Malaysia so far under their program.

JR Texas: They are wanting to reach a pop. of 70 million. They want to do this even though many graduates can't find jobs or are grossly underemployed........just think of the economic and environmental problems Malaysia will be facing because of this policy.......it will take time but it will not be good.......and Thailand will be impacted.

Quote from internet source: In 1984 the Government reversed its policy to reduce the popula-

tion growth rate and announced its intention of achieving a population of

70 million by the year 2100. In its view such a population size is necessary

in order to support mass consumption industries.

Ghosts on the mountains? I haven't heard that before. I found a stunningly beautiful spot not far from where a Thai friend of mine lives. In fact he found the land for me. Water direct from a waterfall that flows year round. A twelve rai plot that is surrounded on three sides by rock cliffs and even a cave. 600,000 baht for that piece of beautiful land. I took my wife up there and she said that it belonged to the government and the old lady who squatted on it all her life could not legally sell it. My Thai friend has no papers for his land either and according to him as long as he has a house on the land, the government won't bother him. Besides that, my wife said it was WAY too far from the markets, the road was no good and the electric was too far away. There was nothing said about ghosts. She told me that if I wanted to live there, no problem, but that she was staying in her own house.

Do you actually want to move to such a place or just a weekend visit? The 305 road that goes to Nakhon Rachasima goes over the mountains & has some very good resorts to stay at. Even down to the western style food etc is available.

JR Texas: They are wanting to reach a pop. of 70 million. They want to do this even though many graduates can't find jobs or are grossly underemployed........just think of the economic and environmental problems Malaysia will be facing because of this policy.......it will take time but it will not be good.......and Thailand will be impacted.

Quote from internet source: In 1984 the Government reversed its policy to reduce the popula-

tion growth rate and announced its intention of achieving a population of

70 million by the year 2100. In its view such a population size is necessary

in order to support mass consumption industries.

Dear god, you are an academic, and this is your idea of justifying that they want to get to a population of 70 million???!

I've never heard of this, and your quote is from 20+ years ago? I hope you have something a bit more accurate than that.

Being Thai and having NEVER heard of this ghost thing, I think you must hang out with a very different group of people to who I do. Major generalisations leave you open to making mistakes like this....

Well, you're sorta right JR. Thais LOVE the mountains and almost every one of them wishes they had a second or third home there. What Thais don't like, is staying alone. If there were a tight community or development in the mountains, then they would love to be there. A couiple of things prevent this however. One, it is far from where they earn their living and two, as Steve says, development is iffy given the land documentation.

Edited by lannarebirth

The answer to your question is no, but you already knew that. I would suggest you spend the summer in the Colorado Rockies and the winter in Key West, Florida.

Yes, that's right. And be prepared to multiple your monthly budget at least 5 folds.

In the late '60s, Key West, the most southern tip of the US were flooded with hippies. Now it's a popular getthings place for gays.

Some people are sick of everything / everywhere. I suggest a short break back home in their home countries to imbue a little perspective and thus appreciation of things that they could have taken for granted or overlooked here. Works for me. :o

:D very valid point!

yet somehow they never want to go back to their own countries but continue staying here :D funny - they expect to make Thailand as "good" as their own wonderfull home countries, which somehow they prefer not to live in but instead to be here...

on serious note, regarding the subject of this thread - I recall spending wonderfull few days in Doi Pukha National park last year after Songkran - it was very cool up there! and as I know, there are quite a few other similar places, like Doi Inthanon near to Chiang Mai (the highest mountain in Thailand?) etc. however quite naturally, practically all of them are natural parks or something alike.

as for places in other countries - the first which comes to mind is Kathmandu and its whole valley, which is 2000 or more over the ocean level, never too hot there. down souhth in Idia, of course Himalayas areas, like Rishikesh and up till troubled Kashmir, are obviously cool enough - many indians from Dheli and other big cities, who can afford it, are heading there during hot season. and it is realy HOT season there - Thailand hot season can't be comared. then, Bangalore is considered naving "natural air-conditioned" climate, may be the best in whole climate.

yes, I've also heard that Malaysia's climate is one of the best in the world, compared with Hawaii - like it is never too hot or too cold. I've been living there, especially in Penang and am inclined to agree - I don't remember it being too hot, may be not more then 35 C

Their are some nice places in Florida. For instance Sand Key between Clearwater and Saint Petersburg. Clearwater and St Peterburg are nice. Tampa is Ok. Florida is still hot. During the summer in the USA even Michigan gets hot and humid. Though Michigan has the Great Lakes which adds to the humdiity. It was the same temperature in Michigan as in Florida yesterday. I drink bottled water any how. I myself would not want to retire to Florida.

if you want cold in the mountains,there a place up by me in chaingrai called

doi mae salong im sure i once read in the bangkok post it touched freezing point

about 12 years ago.

its inhabited by mainly chinese thai whose ancestors came over from china many years ago

and settled up there,they grow tea and some of the views are stunning.

i stayed there one night about 5 years ago and when i asked if the room had air con

she looked at me stupid and said "you wont need air con up here"

she was right

JR, I studied in detail the climates and micro climates in Thailand 10yrs ago for a dairy farm project. Fact is, there is only one area in Thailand slightly cooler than Pai (refering to lowland living areas). Pai is approx 450 meters above sea level. An area up near Fang called Chai-Bra-karn is 550 meters above sea level and very slightly futher north. The answer to your question is no. You will get the remote hilltop villages like Pu-Chee-Fa, these can have cool low temperature nights, but during the hot season days will be steaming hot, same with wet season, cooler than anything south of Lampang, but humidity will still be high. As for this region, Cambodia, Laos will offer no escape from heat. Vietnam will have some northern areas that are cool, personally never travelled there. One very very uniquie micro climate that is worth travelling to some time is Dalat, Vietnam. This is a true mountain top plateau micro climate. At well over 1500 meters high, the 40 km x 40 km (more detail from someone else if you have it) table top maintain is truely dry and cool. Located solidly in the tropics it grows some of the best vegetables in Asia. Your basically living in clouds. As for other asian regions, the north of Burma may open up for us one day. Kachin State in Burma must be like a paradise, this is an area I would love to spend time. The top end of Burma runs into 5 and 6,000 meter peaks, part of the Himalaya mountain range. Years ago I visited the Cameron Highlands in Malaysia, memory was of a very cool climate also, but very small and only for visiting as per most of the above. Phillipines and Indonesia someone else please... Cheers

if you want cold in the mountains,there a place up by me in chaingrai called

doi mae salong im sure i once read in the bangkok post it touched freezing point

about 12 years ago.

its inhabited by mainly chinese thai whose ancestors came over from china many years ago

and settled up there,they grow tea and some of the views are stunning.

i stayed there one night about 5 years ago and when i asked if the room had air con

she looked at me stupid and said "you wont need air con up here"

she was right

JR Texas to all: Phillipn........I HATE FLORIDA....especially southern Florida....been there and done that.....only decent place is St. Petersburg.

It really would be nice to have a cabin in the mountains.......some place to retreat to when the heat and humidity get too much (in Thailand that means about 340 days out of 365).

Nepal is out (are you serious?) and so is Mongolia......guess I could put a tent up on Mt. Everest. Seriously, Thailand really needs a place in the mountains for expats. I predict that it would be a major success. 100% sure of it.

Thanks for the detailed info. Jayjayjayjay.......interesting stuff. I have heard about Dalat....even has some universities there.

Aaaa and Kmart.......yes, some people are sick of some things. Many expats are looking for alternatives........I like the beach but I also like the mountains........I do not want to live in the West.

to Steveromagnio: I want to remain anonymous.....let me just say that a team of researchers (from academic institutions and the UN) interviewed virtually all of the politicians in Southeast Asia on their views regarding population....that research took place within the last 4 years.....I could provide you with the data, but would rather not. The quote is recent and the change in population policy in Malaysia took place many years ago......it is still in effect. The govt. is serious about increasing the size of the population. On another matter: You have never heard about ghosts living in the mountains? Hard to believe as it is common knowledge.

Well I have had friends that have visited the mountain areas of Vietnam and i does sound like a good possibilty for a little escape from the heat and a heck of lot closer then Florida or South America. I have researched and am still researching Equador, two climates actually coast hot and humid and the monutains cool, but very high altitude, high enough that some complaints of breathing problems until you adjust. Resident visa a avialable, but just today I'm hearing that yOU still have to report annually for something called a censos, baSically you have to repOrt to be counted aS a foriegner living in the country. The process seems to be a bit complicated. The question posed to the board now is if yuo can have the resident visa cancelled in the process. Waiting for that answer.

New info on Panama changes, sounds like a reasonable thing to do. The banking systems sounds great with longer term term deposits paying 7%, once a year interest payment.

http://www.panamalaw.org/panama_law_changes_visas.html

New Change in Panama Tourist Visa Law - Tourist Visas were granted for 90 days generally speaking before May 20th, 2007. Now the tourist visa is given for 30 days with the possibility to get a one-time extension for an additional 60 days. These extensions are not automatic and are directed towards people staying for tourist purposes. With the one time extension one can still get the 90 days as before.

Below follows an English translation of the relevant law, which is Number 1 of Article 1 of Decree Law 16 of 1960:

'Those foreigners who enter the national territory classified as tourists, transients, travelers in transit, or travelers in direct transit, temporary visitors and immigrants: 1. Those who arrive with the exclusive purpose of recreation or tourism are tourists for thirty days, which can be extended for up to sixty days.'

Discussion – It appears that Panama is trying to tighten down laws to control people from other countries doing things they do not like such as dealing with narcotics. Panama has trouble with neighboring countries that produce and distribute drugs. The law does not state visa times in a country specific manner, which could have been one way they could have altered things. This makes one think they considered the people from the USA, Canada, UK, Spain and Australia and decided to restrict those tourist visas as well. The next conclusion is that they want people from all countries to get into a more permanent program if they wish to live here. There are many options available but none of them are for free unless one marries a national. The lowest price program is the reforestation program that requires an investment of $40,000. A guess would be that Panama is trying to become more economically selective as to who resides here targeting a more financially upscale audience. People would previously come here and stay under a tourist visa and let it expire and pay the fine when departing the country that was generally very low. This is not going to be allowed anymore. Panama wants people to invest money if they want to stay here.

Future Possibilities – One could look for future tightening down of the programs allowing one to get residency in Panama. We cannot say for sure that such a thing will occur but it is a likely event based on this recent change. There are currently 100 residential projects under construction in Panama that are at least 40 stories high with one some 100 stories high. There are at least another 125 getting ready to go into construction. Panama is feeling like they have a boom on their hands and wants to take advantage of it. Our opinion is that at least some of these projects will never complete or even be started. We also feel that after completion many of these projects will fail to sell completely and the people will walk away from their deposits. The prices are way to high. We don’t see this change in the law as helping things out. Many people used to like to know they could come here for a few months at a time and not have to worry about immigration. Now this is gone and it is now a problem for one who wants to just try living here as a renter before they buy. It seems they want only people who can drop substantial sums to live here but none of this will have any effect on Panama as a financial and corporate center.

Ecuador info

http://www.vivatravelguides.com/south-amer...ing-in-ecuador/

Living in Ecuador

Many travelers passing through Ecuador fall in love with the country and decide to stay for an extended period of time. According to the US Embassy, about 10,000 Americans live and work in Ecuador. Undoubtedly, there are even more Europeans who make this beautiful country their home. Quito has a large expatriate community and lots of options for furnished apartments, jobs for English speakers and volunteer projects. Expect to pay $90 - 350 a month per person for an apartment. $90/month will get you a small apartment in the Centro Histórico or Guápulo that will be furnished with the bare necessities. On the other end of the scale, $350/month (per person) can get you a luxury apartment in the north of Quito or in one of the valleys like Cumbayá with beautiful furnishings and often a common pool, hot tub and terrace with mountain views.

Outside of Quito, the prices drop almost half for apartments, but it will be harder to find a furnished place. For apartment listings local newspapers, such as El Comercio, are an excellent source, though you will have to be able to read Spanish, or know someone who does. Another great option for travelers looking to stay a bit longer is living with a family. Many families in Quito (and around Ecuador) offer rooms in their homes as an alternative source of income, or for inter-cultural exchange. Prices for homestays vary drastically, ranging from $100-450/month, and usually include 2-3 meals/day.

If you plan to stay in Ecuador longer than six months, you will need to look into getting a non-resident or resident visa. See our visa section for more information. Many people enjoy the options for work in Ecuador. Salaries are somewhat low for the cost of living. Expect to earn between $400-1,000 in Quito, much less outside of the city. For more information, see our work/volunteering section. For retirees interested in stretching their retirement savings the extra inch, Ecuador is an excellent place to live. Property is fairly easy to purchase and makes for a relatively safe investment. Be sure to get a good lawyer and/or real estate agent, though. The climate of this tropical country is ideal with spring-like weather year-round in the Andes and steamy hot weather year-round on the Coast. It is not possible to buy land in the Galápagos Islands due to strict restrictions protecting the flora and fauna in the national park

Most travelers to Ecuador will not have to think about procuring a visa before departure. When you arrive, the migration officials will stamp a tourist visa valid up to 90 days. If you plan to stay the entire 90 days, be sure to request the full visa limit as migration officials will sometimes give a visa for less time. They will also give you give you an embarkation card. Save this. You will need to present it when you leave the country. Your 90 day visa can be extended one month at a time, up to a total of six months. If you overstay your tourist visa, you will be charged a fine when you leave. The fine is less if you pay in Quito or Guayaquil at the migration police’s headquarters where you will receive a 24, 48 or 72-hour visa for a fee.

If you want to work, study, or just travel for more than 90 days, you may need to look into a different visa. There are two main types of visas: resident and non-resident (referred to as immigrant and non-immigrant on the Ecuadorian government website). Student visas, work visas, volunteer and religious work visas, cultural exchanges and tourist visas all fall under the category of non-resident and will set you back between $50 and $200.

What about Phitsanaluk or Phetchabun.?

It can get very cool in the mountains there, there is a place known locally as "little switzerland" which is very nice.Not many expats there...... but there is some beautiful scenery and plenty of cool breezes.

Khao Khor is the main mountain range running from P, luk through Phetch.

What about Phitsanaluk or Phetchabun.?

It can get very cool in the mountains there, there is a place known locally as "little switzerland" which is very nice.Not many expats there...... but there is some beautiful scenery and plenty of cool breezes.

Khao Khor is the main mountain range running from P, luk through Phetch.

JR Texas: Lots of stuff here about Thailand and other places. A word about Panama.....there is a Pensione (sp?) plan that requires offshore income of US$500 per month......beats the hel_l out of anything Thailand has to offer those on a pension. I am assuming it is still active. Banks are, like you said, stellar. Mountains and ocean........sounds good to me.

Ecuador.......sounds better than Thailand in many ways.....was just looking at Cuenca. The good thing about Panama and Ecuador is that you have mountains right by the ocean..........easy to experience both. As an aside, that is one advantage of Sihanoukville in Cambodia.......beautiful beaches and mountains not far away.

Phetchabun: I have a Western-style house in the rice fields south of Petchabun and it is hot all year. Up on top of the mountains it is fine, but nobody lives there (too many ghosts).

I once took a bus from Petchaboon city to Khon Kaen.......just outside of Petchaboon along Highway 12 is a mountain range and it is very cool up there (think near NamNao or something like that).

The other thing about Eqaudor is yuo can get a resident visa, if yuo can prove yuo have a income of $800.00 a month or $700.00 can't recall the exact number. The annual event that I Mentioned is the Censos meaning they count the number of foriegners residing in the country. It f does not effect yout vias status in anyway. The other way of geting a resident visa, is to purchase a home or start a business with a minimum investment of $25,000. Yes the property or busines will in your name.

You can obtain a citizenship in the country I haven't really followed up. It is is simply much user friendly then Thailand. The dollar is he currency used in the country. The forum I have followed seem to say that you can live within reaonable comfort for about a $1,000 a montth. Yuo can work there.

You might experince serious crime in the major cities, but in the rural areas things seem to more along the lines of petty Theft. I have been givign it serious thought for over a year now. But, I have some business I have to conclude here before I go anywhere. I also have a Thai wife to think of.

This si the site to do research there may be othes but this is the one I have used [email protected]

There is a Equador Consulant in Bangkok

Edited by ray23