UPDATE: Norovirus NOT Found in Ice and Water Factories in Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

Phuket – Ice and water factory test results show NO contamination with the Norovirus after more than 6,000 patients suffered from diarrhea in Phuket in a week with many of them having tested positive for the virus.

The Phuket Provincial Health Office (PPHO) Chief Doctor Koosak Kookietikun told the Phuket Express on Wednesday (June 14th) that test results from six ice factories and three water factories in Phuket have NOT been contaminated with the Norovirus in an initial review.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: https://thephuketexpress.com/2023/06/15/update-norovirus-not-found-in-ice-and-water-factories-in-phuket/

image.jpeg
-- © Copyright The Phuket Express 2023-06-15

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

The most versatile and flexible rental investment and holiday home solution in Thailand - click for more information.

I've never had a problem with ice in Thailand.

For sure, contamination happens, to all consumables, and in every setting.

Cruise ships, with hygiene standards light years beyond local stalls and markets are notorious for these outbreaks. 

Ice phobia among many of us here I think is wildly disproportionate to the risks. 

It's no fun to be unwell in this way, I've been there too, but to drastically alter ones enjoyment of life after recovery is similar to this unhealthy unending local obsession with masks 

• Thumbs Up 1

I think they only have 2 options. First, consider that all ice and water suppliers have cleaned their systems and they are just too late as usual. Second, check what 6000 people have in common to find the source. Shouldn´t even be too hard for Thailand. Of curse, the first option will be the choice as it includes no work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

I wonder if they've tested for cryptosporidiosis ?

Of course they have. They are professionals. How could you think such a thing?

(sarcasm alert)

• Haha 1

Having Ice in my drinks almost every day at different locations, never had a problem. I even drink tap water every now and then.

Last Monday we visited a 5 star hotel in Bangkok, all 4 of us eaten there got bad stomach a few hours afterwards, and the food buffé had a price of 2,500 excluding any drinks except water. I don't think it was the ice in the water that made our stomachs bad.

Edited by Eaglekott