Clinic prices Isaan

Stevey

My girlfriend is saying she wants money to visit a clinic as the 5year old has been sick on and off for 4 days. Usual fever type of thing, How much Is a five year old kid gonna have to pay for treatment? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MJCM said:

Your girlfriend can visit the local (village) hospital Anamai with the 5 year old free of charge and if it's serious they will then refer her to the Local Bigger Hospital.

Only if registered as living in that local area.  Most people are not (still registered at parents home).  Local clinics are dirt cheap - perhaps hundred or two plus medications.  If treatment needed they would be referred to local hospital and would have to pay, but for most things that change will not be expensive - but likely involve waiting times.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Only if registered as living in that local area

I once tripped and it left a big cut on my leg, and was visiting a friend and at the local anamai the stitched me up for free. Was not registered there and my friend as well.

Edit: Of course YMMV

Edited by MJCM
Added wording
  • Thanks 1

The doctor's fee is normally low.

Some medication is cheap - and some is not effective.

Some medicine is "expensive" and you won't get it for free.

Some doctors recommend buying better medicine.

That obviously doesn't mean that all medicine must be expensive, and it also doesn't mean that expensive medicine = good medicine. But sometimes it makes sense to pay extra. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MJCM said:

I once tripped and it left a big cut on my leg, and was visiting a friend and at the local anamai the stitched me up for free. Was not registered there and my friend as well.

As a foreigner making a charge would likely have been more effort than the charge would cover - plus they probably enjoyed working on you.  But yes many times no charge will be made even when it could be.  But even then many Thai will prefer to go to a trusted clinic for faster service.  Although many clinics are suspect there are also many part time places that have government doctors attending that are as good as hospital visit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think the local government hospital is free for local registered Thais.

I'm registered at our local government hospital with my pink ID card.

I pay B50/100 for the doctor.

Went a couple of weeks ago for complete blood check and paid about B1200.

Wifey went for annual check up at the Wellness clinic in the hospital and paid B850.

CT scan B3000 if I remember.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, recom273 said:

If I was the OP I would just take the girl to the local private hospital, the charge isnt likely to be so great. Stating at 1000B or something.

Or visit a doctor in his private clinic after hours.

Most start at 5 PM.

Saturday all day like 9 to 5. Sunday until 12.

But your friend should know and you can hopefully trust her.

More than 1000 Baht is hardly needed incl some . medication.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the subject of Government Hospitals versus private High Street Clinics; Mrs experienced numbness and aching in one leg. She saw a GP at our local Community Hospital who prescribed rheumatism tablets. No improvement so she went to a High Street Clinic. The doctor did the same. She then went to another High Street Clinic in the next town with the same result. Later on lumps appeared in her leg. Finally, a tumour doctor at Regional Hospital diagnosed Schwannoma. Fortunately, not serious (at least when they occur in the legs). Moral of the story, in this instance, private High Street Clinics were no better than our local Community Hospital.

• Like 1

Thanks all for answers. I’ve stayed in Thailand for over two years on the last stint which ended a month ago and now I’m back in Englands green and pleasant land to replace the 10s of  Thousands I spent from my Savings.

The little’un is bad but he bad all the time with some lurgy or other.  I’d given her her salary last month on the 25th and sent a few thousand over for this and that which actually more than doubled what she had to pay out so she would have had over a 1000baht extra.

She has a job which cuts days out of the blue due to materials shortages. When I asked how much she got a day she answered unsure “ er… gor Sam Loy ?” So maybe more than 300. It’s was in here interest to make out she is low paid but it may be better than that. The factory which make pressed sheets of wood regularly has days of inactivity which works great for the little’n who gets dumped at the sisters farm from school end of day till when his mom gets home to collect him at 1730. 

So on top of her approximate 6-7 k I give her 10k. Plus ,as I can attest doing 15 hour days at the moment, when you working you ain’t spending cash. 

A while back she wanted me to buy her an expensive JAK sewing machine so she could work from home, I refused not believing she had it in her to do piece work. I stopped and chatted to a woman working from her house doing similar contract sewing work and she told me that if she works hard everyday she could make 7000 a month. 

On this basis I reckon with a combined income of minimum of 15k a month she doing alright. So why she’s coming up with requests for clinic money at 6 days from pay day Steve is infuriating.  

I see she’s the young lad to ask for money saying he was sick with a cold and needed money for to see a doctor. Then he says “Song Meurn” 20k then I knew she was up to her old tricks. Gambling. Probably got debts to pay. 

Should be interesting.  I always thought some debt collectors will turn up and take anything of value I left at the house, my motorcycle not in her name and other possessions. 

55 minutes ago, Stevey said:

My question is am I being deceived into giving money for a trip to clinic that could be free or very cheap or little cost for a small child vs her asking for a small fortune to fund something entirely different like her gambling addiction. 

It was a fair dig then. You need to reconsider your life choices. Mind boggles why woyls you hook up with anyone who has gambling addiction.

Edited by Celsius
  • Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, Stevey said:

How much Is a five year old kid gonna have to pay for treatment? 

300-500bht at a clinic.

Kids are free at ALL government hospitals, no need to be registered.

I think it's up to age 15, but it might be only to age 12.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Only if registered as living in that local area.  Most people are not (still registered at parents home).  Local clinics are dirt cheap - perhaps hundred or two plus medications.  If treatment needed they would be referred to local hospital and would have to pay, but for most things that change will not be expensive - but likely involve waiting times.

Completely wrong.

Children are treated free at all government hospitals, no need to be registered.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

300-500bht at a clinic.

Kids are free at ALL government hospitals, no need to be registered.

I think it's up to age 15, but it might be only to age 12.

Now that’s the info I’m looking for confirming what I suspected. Surely the Thai government can let children be attended to for free. Obviously now  I realise it was just a ploy for cash for something. 

OP posted why I was typing, so OP can disregard, as obviously, you are just being scammed.

Maybe others can find the info useful if found this thread and made it this far down.

Unless serious symptoms, just go buy some Amoxy & SARA (paracetamol) or flavored liquid version if available, as that's all a clinic is going to give you, if that.   Tiffy if stuffy nose, but that also has paramedical in it.  And a lot, so watch dosage.

You're just treating symptoms for comfort, and the Amoxy may be a waste, if not bacterial.  Or it may help clear things up in a day or 2.  If so, then it was bacterial, then continue taking for about 10 days.

They'll also tell you to come back in 2 weeks, if symptoms don't go away.  Why .... because most bacterial & viral symptoms will go away by themselves in 2 weeks.

DISCLAIMER:  I am not a doctor, just a parent of a little one, that came home once a month sick from school (kindergarten), until I took her out of, as other parents kept sending their kid to school sick.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MJCM said:

Your girlfriend can visit the local (village) hospital (called Anamai or Thai อนามัย ) with the 5 year old free of charge and if it's serious they will then refer her to the Local Bigger Hospital.

A few years ago I had a skin cancer cut out of my leg in Australia and returned to Thailand with the stitches in, a week later I went to the local Anamai and had the stitches removed, they charged me 20Bt.

• Love It 1

4 hours ago, grain said:

A few years ago I had a skin cancer cut out of my leg in Australia and returned to Thailand with the stitches in, a week later I went to the local Anamai and had the stitches removed, they charged me 20Bt.

That's what is great about Thailand. In UK I needed stitches removing and went to the NHS hospital nearest to where I was working at the time. They point blank refused to remove them for me. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, grain said:

Useful info as ever, Thanks ???? 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carlyai said:

It is.

In the case of a sick kid I would only go to the local clinic to see if there is a reasonably believable diagnosis, with low expectations to get one. Likely you will only end up with Paracetamol, none the wiser what the issue could be. And I expect that any Thai family has Tiffy at home anyways.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, carlyai said:

Sorry mate, gamblers have a very bad habit.

A mate and I went on a trip for 3 weeks. He was dreading when he came back that everything would be gone.

Pleasant surprise it was all there, but when he went to turn on his sound and TV system it didn't work; plugs in the wrong places.

Evidently she pawned the gear for gambling money, had a win then bought it all back but didn't know which plugs went where. ????

She will lie about anything. I bought some En-Dex 4000 for the 7 dogs which after the Bravecto tick and flea treatment I gave 6months back has finally worn off on one dog. So all dogs need re-treatment. It arrived the other day and I talked of how I want to be around over the phone when she gave it to them. When I asked her a few days ago how many she gave each dog, all differing weights, she said ‘ gave them already, 1 tablet per dog. That is quite a job to get 7 dogs to swallow that pill. I’d asked her to do one dog a day and write the dog and date on the wall so there is no confusion and explained that some dogs need more as some are 9kgs and some 20 kgs, I’ve got in a muddle a few times forgetting which dogs have had what. 

Well when she answered so quickly yes when I asked if she’d give them I just told her she was a liar. To just not even mention she’d given the meds until I asked her is just not believable. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, worgeordie said:

You are going to have nothing but trouble and will always be seen as a ATM,

same if the Lady is alcoholic or drug user ,there are so many women here

looking for a good man ,they are good honest women out there ,I know

found mine 35 years ago ,still going strong, life is too short ,to be wasted......

regards worgeordie

We are running out of road now. I’ve come back to the UK and dropped a job that pays great and I’m working 8am till midnight everyday to replace the last 2 years cash. How she thinks she’s gonna survive on a 7000baht a month job without me plus all the money she’s gotta pay back to various places I’m sure. I know she owes the moo Baan lending club 40kBaht which she said she borrowed because the 10kbaht plus the electric bill I paid every month in 2020 was “not enough”  problem is I have my possessions there such as my motorcycle and other bits and pieces. 

Edited by Stevey
Use of the word literally.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, recom273 said:

I don't know if that's the same for Thai people, but I'm sure they wouldn't turn away a feverish 5 year old that wasn't registered in the local area. 

But just to say, I agree, Anamais are great! If you have a problem in the daytime, you are kind of limited, some clinics are open in the evening are staffed by doctors that work in hospitals in the daytime, or trek into town to a private hospital and avoid the wait times of a government hospital.

I had some mosquito bites that had became infected, we were on our way to RAM KKC and thought we would just stop at the Anamai. Yes, they could help, she asked my wife lots of questions about where we were living, etc - you know village people know everything. She noticed I was happy to babble on in Thai - then she gave me some antibiotics. When we asked to pay, she said there was a process for foreigners, but she didnt know where the forms were and tbh, it was more trouble than it was worth, so sent me on my way, all sorted for free. Our anamai is just a small concrete building, one doctor, one receptionist and two treatment rooms, but the one in the next village is like a small hospital.

If I was the OP I would just take the girl to the local private hospital, the charge isnt likely to be so great. Stating at 1000B or something.

And some small local clinics have doctors who aren't qualified. Beware. 

Example: for years there was a tiny shopfront on Petchaburi Rd., in Bkk. opposite Pantip Plaza. MyAdmin. mngr took many Thai and farang employees there, some were sick, some needed medical certificates. (e.g. for Work Permits). 

The 'Dr' spoke good English, for work permit med certificates he always look quickly at the 'patient' and said 'two arms, two legs, one head you pass'.

After many years his qualifications were challenged by someone and he was closed down by the police. It happens. Along that stretch of road there's also a couple of fake dental clinics. 

Maybe same in Essan locations?

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, carlyai said:

I'm registered at our local government hospital with my pink ID card.

I pay B50/100 for the doctor.

Went a couple of weeks ago for complete blood check and paid about B1200.

Wifey went for annual check up at the Wellness clinic in the hospital and paid B850.

CT scan B3000 if I remember.

What is a 'Wellness Clinic', how is it different from a basic check up with blood tests?

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

What is a 'Wellness Clinic', how is it different from a basic check up with blood tests?

At our local government hospital they have a Wellness Clinic (that's what they call it). 

So you can go to the doctor in the hospital wait 5 or 6 hours chair hopping and get your blood, stool checks for nothing or B50.

You can go to the Wellness Clinic and get a range of health checks for B850 with no chair hopping and minimum discomfort.

• Thumbs Up 1