Netflix for dummies. Help requested!

Toolong

I'm in Thailand, looking at getting a subscription to watch Netflix on my smart TV. (Well, 2 smart TV's, each at different location, to be exact.)

Ok, so what's the problem?

Well, the simple, honest answer - as shameful as it is to admit it - is that I don't really have a clue how to do it. (Old and out of touch, I suppose, as is my Thai wife also, unfortunately.)

Am familiar with USING Netflix, as used to enjoy being able to connect on someone else's subscription, but that all expired ages ago and now want to set up my own subscription. 

So how best to do it? Buy cards at 7/11? Use via my AIS phone internet subscription package (somehow)? 

Where do I go? What do I do? Advice for this old dummy appreciated.

(Btw: basic, cheap kind of package, on 2 devices)

Cheers ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 minutes ago, Toolong said:

So how best to do it? Buy cards at 7/11?

yes known as gift cards ...

16 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Use via my AIS phone internet subscription package (somehow)? 

You will need to set up your phones 'hot spot'  so as the TV can recognize your internet connection. The Netflix site is one of the most user friendly site i have ever encountered.

19 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

yes known as gift cards ...

You will need to set up your phones 'hot spot'  so as the TV can recognize your internet connection. The Netflix site is one of the most user friendly site i have ever encountered.

Ok. I appreciate that head-up info. I'll see if the AIS staff can help me with that 'hot-spot' business! ????

Thanks, Brianthainess! ????????????

Just now, Toolong said:

Ok. I appreciate that head-up info. I'll see if the AIS staff can help me with that 'hot-spot' business! ????

Thanks, Brianthainess! ????????????

Just go into tools on your phone

open settings

open Wireless & networks

open Tethering & portable hotspot

open wi-fi hotspot

turn on hotspot. 

You will need to know how to do it yourself, my phone can turn off hotspot when not used. 

Plan B; get a direct fiber internet connection to your property .. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A much better  solution is to abandon all thoughts of joining Netflix, unless you really want to be presented (as seems now to be the case) with utter garbage movies:  teenage horror, idiot apocalypses, mindless Tom Cruise garbage, boring sci-fi, endless examples of 20-something hottiies overcoming endless obstacles as they knock on glass ceilings, soppy romantic twaddle involving single moms always winning through etc etc etc.

I cut off my sub to Netflix last year, having finally been unable to take any more the garbage hinted at in the rant above.  Gone are the days of brilliant series like Breaking Bad or Ozark or Better Call Saul.....

Save your money and read a book.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Just go into tools on your phone

open settings

open Wireless & networks

open Tethering & portable hotspot

open wi-fi hotspot

turn on hotspot. 

You will need to know how to do it yourself, my phone can turn off hotspot when not used. 

Plan B; get a direct fiber internet connection to your property .. 

Thanks for that. Embarrassingly (for me!) I wasn't quite sure at first what you meant by having to connect to a hotspot. Yes, sorry, you meant wi-fi of course! 

Which I have.....plus we do have fiber internet connection to house already. 

Sorry to appear even dumber than I already seemed!

But cheers, anyway. You've been very helpful. ????

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, blazes said:

A much better  solution is to abandon all thoughts of joining Netflix, unless you really want to be presented (as seems now to be the case) with utter garbage movies:  teenage horror, idiot apocalypses, mindless Tom Cruise garbage, boring sci-fi, endless examples of 20-something hottiies overcoming endless obstacles as they knock on glass ceilings, soppy romantic twaddle involving single moms always winning through etc etc etc.

I cut off my sub to Netflix last year, having finally been unable to take any more the garbage hinted at in the rant above.  Gone are the days of brilliant series like Breaking Bad or Ozark or Better Call Saul.....

Save your money and read a book.

????????......Well, I agree Netflix can be just as you splendidly describe! 

However.....my wife likes it a lot more than I do, and doesn't mind the 'twaddle' too much (!), so the infrequency with which I use it means I don't exhaust all the good ('better'!) stuff too quickly, while it still being worth paying for (basic package).

But I have my old copy of Moby Dick to fall back on if reading required! 

1 hour ago, Toolong said:

Thanks for that. Embarrassingly (for me!) I wasn't quite sure at first what you meant by having to connect to a hotspot. Yes, sorry, you meant wi-fi of course! 

Which I have.....plus we do have fiber internet connection to house already. 

Sorry to appear even dumber than I already seemed!

But cheers, anyway. You've been very helpful. ????

As long as your WiFi router is close to the TV you can simply connect the two directly with an Ethernet cable which probably came with the router. No hot spot signing in then  required. (you have to set up a password on the phone for logging into its hot spot which TV will prompt you to enter) when it detects it.

There should be a Netflix button on the TV remote which takes you directly to the app . Once you have your subscription in place you only have to sign into Netflix once on each device and it will thereafter be remembered. So just press the Netflix button on the remote and you're straight in. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I also have stopped Netflix for now, been just watching YouTube going back to memories of the UK with, Play for today, Murder she wrote, etc. I have even watched some Z Cars. :coffee1:

AISPlay is another option.

Need to have AIS internet in the house/condo as the main internet facility. 

No additional monthly charges if you install AISPlay.

AIS will come, bring a small box, install it (very simple, 1 minute) all free. 

Many channels free, can select others and pay a monthly fee. CNN I think is 199Baht a month, BBC the same.

Dual language choice on many channels.

We had a second AISPlay box installed in my bedroom Not free - once only 1,000Baht for the box, no other charges at all except any additional fee based channels selected.

Young polite technician changed the default language to English.  

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, stoner said:

how did you possibly make it to adulthood. 

How did you make it to adulthood (physically) if you routinely made and still make such asinine comments about people you do not know?

Edited by scottiejohn
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

How did you make it to adulthood (physically) if you routinely made and still make such asinine comments about people you do not know?

it's a first on the internet. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, nchuckle said:

As long as your WiFi router is close to the TV you can simply connect the two directly with an Ethernet cable which probably came with the router. No hot spot signing in then  required. (you have to set up a password on the phone for logging into its hot spot which TV will prompt you to enter) when it detects it.

There should be a Netflix button on the TV remote which takes you directly to the app . Once you have your subscription in place you only have to sign into Netflix once on each device and it will thereafter be remembered. So just press the Netflix button on the remote and you're straight in. 

Thanks, nchuckle. Yes, the tv & router thing is already set up in the way you describe, fortunately, so I should be ok to access and register with Netflix ok. Well....should! I did do it once before, long ago, when someone gave me their password to use, but for me even that was a nail-bitingly fraught process! 

People in this forum have very helpfully assured me that the process is very simple and I must admit it does seem to be. 

Although, I would have confess that I know that level of do-ability, in terms of being able to manage all the process & steps involved, myself, IS about my limit! 

(I sometimes read the stuff on this forum about router/tv box/media-connectivity-related systems.....and I have not got a SINGLE clue what they're talking about!!????)

15 hours ago, brianthainess said:

I also have stopped Netflix for now, been just watching YouTube going back to memories of the UK with, Play for today, Murder she wrote, etc. I have even watched some Z Cars. :coffee1:

With or without Netflix, youtube is my go-to option. 

Without youtube, not sure I'd survive for long! 

It is, for me, a level of dependency almost up there with heroin addiction! ????

13 hours ago, scorecard said:

AISPlay is another option.

Need to have AIS internet in the house/condo as the main internet facility. 

No additional monthly charges if you install AISPlay.

AIS will come, bring a small box, install it (very simple, 1 minute) all free. 

Many channels free, can select others and pay a monthly fee. CNN I think is 199Baht a month, BBC the same.

Dual language choice on many channels.

We had a second AISPlay box installed in my bedroom Not free - once only 1,000Baht for the box, no other charges at all except any additional fee based channels selected.

Young polite technician changed the default language to English.  

Interesting! ????