Chiang Mai tourism: Haze issue risks long-stay senior tourist numbers

webfact

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The smog comes from the burning forests on the mountains surrounding Chiang Mai.

It's not from the farmers, diesel vehicles or foreign countries.

The villagers are out burning vast areas of forest every year, and nobody stops them.

So then explain why Phetchabun is full of toxic smoke when the farmers are burning off

• Confused 1

It's not just the air pollution. It's also the stupid requirements regarding 800,000 baht tied up. I hope the new guys at the helm understand that ANY money that comes into Thailand by way of a foreign pension gets spent in Thailand. It's bringing in foreign currency for the country without the government needing to lift a finger. Thailand should learn from Cambodia where you can legally get a 12 months multiple entry visa for US$300 with no financial requirements and nothing to report until you renew it in 12 months time. Get rid of Bangkok's current crop of "economists" as well as the Department of Whacky Ideas ASAP.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The smog comes from the burning forests on the mountains surrounding Chiang Mai.

The villagers are out burning vast areas of forest every year, and nobody stops them.

I read that once. They burn the low brushwood to encourage the growth of mushrooms which they illegally harvest and sell to China but I'm sure the sugar cane burning also contribute.

8 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Sack the governor... said it before and keep saying it.

The man in CM has done nothing

You think the Governor of a province has the power to curtail CP Group's corn production? LOL.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Instead of staying for a whole year, a number of senior tourists returned to their home country to escape the smog season in Chiang Mai,”

Same goes for Chiang Rai, leave for 8 weeks minimum. And right now everywhere you you see burning going on. For no apparent reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, 10baht said:

Same goes for Chiang Rai, leave for 8 weeks minimum. And right now everywhere you you see burning going on. For no apparent reason.

At least the AQI is mostly good, now anyway:

image.png.9ef6a8716bf62e07d9e19efb386c8683.png

image.png.14e48fa3ecbb6c0b911667ebb076586a.png

Edited by KhunLA

3 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

At least the AQI is mostly good, now anyway:

That's not the point. Say there is a mass shooting somewhere and the gal is a bad shot, thus hitting no one. Is that really good news. The mentality needs a HUGE adjustment.

Ask AI: Burning crops is more toxic than burning hydrocarbons. Crop burning is the world’s largest source of black carbon, which is a threat to both human and environmental health.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, bg53 said:

It's quite sad that the petition has to be framed around economic losses and the absence of tourists.

Thousands upon thousands of Thai lives suffer direct health consequences.

Exactly my thoughts too, However, in my experience here over thirty plus years the average Thai will never raise a fuss over anything. Loss of face, and avoiding confrontation takes a front row seat. Sadly, they are taught at an early age to accept anything someone in a uniform, or position of authority tells them. That way the ruling elite hang on to the power, and money.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2023 at 4:04 PM, BritManToo said:

Absolutely true, I've close enough to these fires to actually feel the heat. 

• 1 month later...