Chiang Mai tourism: Haze issue risks long-stay senior tourist numbers

webfact

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Urging this administration to address environmental issues, is like urging the Pope to consider making abortion legal. It is like urging Justin Bieber to start writing deep, meaningful songs. It is like urging The Weekend to create songs that will not be forgotten by next year. It is a bit like asking Trump to behave with integrity, or Prayuth to consider the interests of the masses. It just will not happen.

If Pita gets appointed the new PM, there is a chance Thailand can move forward, the regressive, toxic, damaging, caustic, and completely out of touch dinosaurs can be moved out of the way of progress, and the nation can see some progress.

Don’t hold your breath…

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Sack the governor... said it before and keep saying it.

The man in CM has done nothing

Would a new appointee make any difference? Isn't the current incumbent simply a representative of the wider malaise in the country? What thanks would he get for trying? Probably just opprobrium from the vested interests for whom the status quo benefits 

• Like 1

If it were only thailand that is creating the problem then there are solutions, you can tell where the burnt fields are and fine them, either through satellite images or aerial reconnaissance. Unfortunately it is not only a thailand problem. the haze is coming form Cambodia, Burma, Laos and China, it has to be an asean thing and few politicians want to lose potential votes.

• Like 1

Well that's very sweet to try and protect is "wealthy" farang here in Chiang Mai.. Locked indoors with aircon.... 

What about the poor buggers who are working the fields every day! What about the men and women all working outdoors for 10 hours day? 

Thailand really doesn't give a sht about it's own people so farang are sht outta luck. Hence the farang leaving... and they will never return.

• Like 1

The air pollution for 5-6 months around the dry season is the number 1 reason for me not to retire there. I was in Chiang Mai in the dry season of 1988/89 for six months and absolutely loved it, mostly sunny, clear skies you could see forever, nice temperatures, not too hot, and quite cool during the nights.

I’ve been back twice since then, got bronchitis both times. Now it’s just a more or less constant haze, it’s quite hot, the hot season starts much earlier. So thanks, but no thanks for me, I will find me another spot to retire to, probably not even in Thailand.

Anyone who asks, I tell them not to bother coming to TH, and if so, only during rainy season, which kills any beach holiday, as seas too rough.

Brother is coming over next year, early May.  Hope the rains start earlier than they did this year.  Doing Nam first and I told him not even to bother with TH, since going there.

I'm fairly positive, he's going to hate both countries.  Both way below his 'level' to travel.  SEA is one giant economically depressed area, and no way will he mentally be able to adjust to it in a short few weeks.

I still haven't got a clue what the attraction is for returning visitors, except P4P.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1