Leaving the bar stool ...

KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

I can definitely relate to that.  It's just nice getting away from PKK province.  I really do enjoy the journey more than the destination/hotel stays sometimes.  Last night was just OK, just didn't feel like driving any further.   So today, only an hour further, and we're surfside with some nice views and haven't been in the area before.   

Was at a few beaches north, last few times through the area, before they started charging, as National Parks, and -5X foreigner tax / 40 vs 200 baht + car fee, and doubt if the allow dogs.

Betong was quite nice little town, and glad we made the trip, even though we kind of blew through Hat Yai, Songkhla & Pattani.   Visited cousin at Hat Yai, and was pleasant visit.  Nice road & viewpoint to/from Betong.

image.png.fef93760c5dd8b2588f8101b36a8278b.png

image.png.49ae33c9737bb29870c589f960ec1d6e.png

I really have been around the country too many times, and it's a challenge finding anything new & interesting.  Luckily, I  really do just enjoy driving around, hit a coffee/pasty shop, a view, and hotels out of the urban areas are inexpensive.

A pitstop between Phatthalung & Trang

Last night was 800 baht, next to a stream, and I even hopped in the pool.   Now it's 1000 baht, nicer views, and nicer pool.  Decent food is always a challenge, and I'm not exaggerating when I say 7-11 is a GODsend :coffee1:

Good pics

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, saintdomingo said:

So you've never experienced a "convivial alehouse", neither a meat market or whatever, just a place for a few drinks.

I quite enjoyed many happy hours, knockin' around Philly, PA, USA, and a local brewery at Germantown, TN, USA (Memphis area).  Had some fine ales, and a favorite was be Brit pub in Philly.  Few places interested my in last 23 yrs here in TH, except when out on the prowl. 

• 2 weeks later...

Leaving the barstool, or the hood, doesn't require an overnight or very long drive.   Just something different.  Sample of one of ours, usually to a coffee shop and or restaurant, sometimes with a view, though not today.  Nice setting though, even though next to the road, with plenty foliage, to block view of roadway.

Total was 101 kms roundtrip, to check off another, almost local coffee shop w/pretty pictures of sweets.

Then while in the neighborhood, cruise by town & then the surf, see if new is interesting.  Hit the fresh market for some very nice mangos.

Had a nice coffee & cake, as they no longer do food.

1711966886421.jpg

• Agree 1

53 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Leaving the barstool, or the hood, doesn't require an overnight or very long drive.   Just something different.  Sample of one of ours, usually to a coffee shop and or restaurant, sometimes with a view, though not today.  Nice setting though, even though next to the road, with plenty foliage, to block view of roadway.

Total was 101 kms roundtrip, to check off another, almost local coffee shop w/pretty pictures of sweets.

Then while in the neighborhood, cruise by town & then the surf, see if new is interesting.  Hit the fresh market for some very nice mangos.

Had a nice coffee & cake, as they no longer do food.

1711966886421.jpg

Most people can't do roadtrips every day. That leaves the corner bar for a lot of people.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

Most people can't do roadtrips every day. That leaves the corner bar for a lot of people.

Longer ones, like today, (>50kms but <120kms) I figured we did 32 in 1 year, so about 1 every 10 days, as 33 days were away from the house/overnight somewhere.

Most, instead of a barstool, is just sitting/strolling at the park or surfside, or short trip to a lake or through the hills.  Coffee shops instead of bars.   

When I did sip a few out of the house, pretty much the same, unless having a veranda w/view, can't see sitting at a bar, in a bar.  Actually the veranda at home is one of the best spots, aside from surfside.

Besides, after the coffee shop, got to burn of 1 or 2 calories, and grab a little Vit D while the dog gets a few new sniffs and marks some turf :coffee1:

a5b450cc-3b3a-4964-8c21-df9650422741.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1