Leaving the bar stool ...

KhunLA

PP 22 years ago, and no real desire to return.  CM (city) a few times, and again, no desire to return.  Least favorite 'tourist' city and avoid when in the area.  Not sure why, just turns me off, and regretted every visit there.

Not a fan of cities, except Krung Thep.  Been to most, main Muang centers, and avoid them now.

1 hour ago, Bunny Silverhand said:

Have you seen all the locations listed on Atlas Obscura ?

https://www.atlasobscura.com/things-to-do/thailand

That's a really sad list, and a lot of stuff missing.  More stuff missing than some of the really stupid stuff that's on it.  A building, a bar, abandoned buildings, a traffic light.

Seriously .... I did see 38 of those listed, and no desire to see most of the rest.  Probably missing at least 10-20 I think would be more important.  So much is missing it's mind boggling. That list is a joke.

PhimMai Hist Park isn't even on the list, or Ban Chiang Archaeological Park

https://photos.google.com/albums

38 of that crap list, and surely you can do better than that.  Did you visit any of them?

Could contain:

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's a really sad list, and a lot of stuff missing.  More stuff missing than some of the really stupid stuff that's on it.  A building, a bar, abandoned buildings, a traffic light.

Seriously .... I did see 38 of those listed, and no desire to see most of the rest.  Probably missing at least 10-20 I think would be more important.  So much is missing it's mind boggling. That list is a joke.

38 of that crap list, and surely you can do better than that.  Did you visit any of them?

Could contain:

I've done a couple here and there. Like Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Udon.
I can't really do the others cause I travel mostly by bus and don't rent cars or motorbikes to get around. So unless I can catch a Grab for a decent price, I'm not going.

Wat Samphran looks pretty cool. That giant dragon you can explore must be kinda unusual. Same goes for Phraya Nakhon cave - that one I'll definitely do at some point - Ayutthaya as well.

Anyway. You've done quiet of few trips around the country, didn't you :) Not easy to find something that would surprise you !

Not a Wat person myself, but, since going to Ban Krut anyway, searched for anything interesting that I haven't noticed before and found this Wat.  Only 5 mins off the main road (Hwy #4 / Phetkasem Rd).

A wooden Wat, surrounded on old 'looking' sandstone structure,  Thought interesting, and if wife into merit making (mine is not), then fits the bill.  Has a Sukhothai styled (Wat Yai) Buddha image & Emerald Buddha replicas there.  Surely good luck will be bestowed on all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/16/2023 at 6:50 AM, Adumbration said:

I visited Maya bay 40 years ago.  I also stayed on koh Phi Phi lay.  I rode a rented motorbike from Chang Mai over the Burmese border.  Have not been back to Maya bay, Phi Phi or Chang Mai since.

You don't want to go to Maya or Phi Phi. You'd just be sad.

C M is still pretty much the same <deleted> it was 40 years ago, except they don't sell US army surplus in the market by the moat any more. The traffic around the moat is still the same disaster.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, jvs said:

I have camped there,very nice place.

Our favorite Gulf beach, and we pop down (<1 hr) couple times a month.   Usually at Baan Jib for a nice green curry& roti, alone w/dessert, then pop over surfside, make sure it's still there.

2nd Gulf beach would be Thung Wua Laen, Chumphon, and about the only 2 I'd swim in.  Not sure about TWL, as a bit more developed, not much, but more than when we visited regularly, yearly.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Our favorite Gulf beach, and we pop down (<1 hr) couple times a month.   Usually at Baan Jib for a nice green curry& roti, alone w/dessert, then pop over surfside, make sure it's still there.

2nd Gulf beach would be Thung Wua Laen, Chumphon, and about the only 2 I'd swim in.  Not sure about TWL, as a bit more developed, not much, but more than when we visited regularly, yearly.

We are doing a small bike tour in February and will be hitting all those places,probably south to Chumpon and then across to Ranong.

IMG_20220106_154448 (2).jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Our local swimmer's beach, well, not today 😎

11 kms from home

If cruising the western Gulf beaches, then Hua Hin, Sam Roi Yot, Ao Manao, Ban Krut (all PKK province) & Thung Wua Laen (Chumphon) are all worth a peek.  A few others between HH & SRY may interest, but don't do much for us.

Being on a barstool is just too boring for me.

When I drink, I like to be outside, on a beach, while the sun sets...

And toast the Green Flash....

Nothing better when one is on the west coast of any body of land, looking out at a beautiful sunset.

Bars, on the other hand, are just not interesting to me, by comparison.

• 2 months later...

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 5:23 PM, KhunLA said:

Could contain:

Which bar is mentioned.? Too idle to look it up.

Most bars recommended on tourist sites turn out to be not up too much.

On 12/18/2023 at 6:30 PM, KhunLA said:

Our local swimmer's beach, well, not today 😎

11 kms from home

If cruising the western Gulf beaches, then Hua Hin, Sam Roi Yot, Ao Manao, Ban Krut (all PKK province) & Thung Wua Laen (Chumphon) are all worth a peek.  A few others between HH & SRY may interest, but don't do much for us.

Have you been to Pa Mak?

Not really far from PKK and a very nice place to visit but do not go in the weekend,people are starting to go there more and more.

I really like to camp there and there is a great coffeeshop with nice views.

Also a paid camping not far away and great food and coffee there also.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0A2fph0pUQ

Edited by jvs
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jvs said:

Have you been to Pa Mak?

Not really far from PKK and a very nice place to visit but do not go in the weekend,people are starting to go there more and more.

I really like to camp there and there is a great coffeeshop with nice views.

Also a paid camping not far away and great food and coffee there also.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0A2fph0pUQ

No I haven't yet.  Did see the coffee shop (Pa Chang Khao Robusta), in my searches of the local areas.  Thanks, and will pop in there one of these day, when over in that area.   After rainy season, get some more water in the stream :coffee1:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saintdomingo said:

Which bar is mentioned.? Too idle to look it up.

Most bars recommended on tourist sites turn out to be not up too much.

Chit Beer, and actually pretty good spot to sip a few, if in the neighborhood.  Only open on weekends, I think, and it gets packed.

I've been to the 38/photos of, off the list.

• Thanks 1

I pretty much lost interest in traveling around after the first few years. Oddly enough, I did almost non-stop traveling the first couple years, then lost interest after that.

It does not feel like I am experiencing anywhere new now when I travel, at least not in South East Asia, though there are places I have not been to. Therefore, it's not worth the energy expenditure making plans and arrangements. I also have less energy to travel then I had before.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JimTripper said:

I pretty much lost interest in traveling around after the first few years. Oddly enough, I did almost non-stop traveling the first couple years, then lost interest after that.

It does not feel like I am experiencing anywhere new now when I travel, at least not in South East Asia, though there are places I have not been to. Therefore, it's not worth the energy expenditure making plans and arrangements. I also have less energy to travel then I had before.

I can definitely relate to that.  It's just nice getting away from PKK province.  I really do enjoy the journey more than the destination/hotel stays sometimes.  Last night was just OK, just didn't feel like driving any further.   So today, only an hour further, and we're surfside with some nice views and haven't been in the area before.   

Was at a few beaches north, last few times through the area, before they started charging, as National Parks, and -5X foreigner tax / 40 vs 200 baht + car fee, and doubt if the allow dogs.

Betong was quite nice little town, and glad we made the trip, even though we kind of blew through Hat Yai, Songkhla & Pattani.   Visited cousin at Hat Yai, and was pleasant visit.  Nice road & viewpoint to/from Betong.

image.png.fef93760c5dd8b2588f8101b36a8278b.png

image.png.49ae33c9737bb29870c589f960ec1d6e.png

I really have been around the country too many times, and it's a challenge finding anything new & interesting.  Luckily, I  really do just enjoy driving around, hit a coffee/pasty shop, a view, and hotels out of the urban areas are inexpensive.

A pitstop between Phatthalung & Trang

Last night was 800 baht, next to a stream, and I even hopped in the pool.   Now it's 1000 baht, nicer views, and nicer pool.  Decent food is always a challenge, and I'm not exaggerating when I say 7-11 is a GODsend :coffee1:

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, saintdomingo said:

Khun LA thanks for the tip about chit beer bar. I see you've also been to Betong. I  read once that this is an interestingly sleazy sort of place, what was your take on it.?

Purposely wasn't there on the weekend, and wouldn't be near the nightlife area anyway.  Not my thing and I avoid, and actually rare I drink alcohol at home, let alone while O&A.

7 minutes ago, saintdomingo said:

There you go, I also very rarely drink at home only drink when I'm out. And that not as often as previously..

I seem to have lost all interest in drinking alcohol.   They stopped making my beer of choice 'Kopper Craft', tasty and great value, 490ml @ 55 baht @ 7-11.  Cheaper by the slab @ Makro :cheesy:  I rarely opened a 2nd one when sipping.

Never was a fan of bars, and only purpose for myself, was 'meat market', or planned chit chat with friends.