Leaving the bar stool ...

KhunLA

2 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Not as a special trip, but if in the area, sure, pop over for a peek.  Been there myself a few times, as like the area.  The floating market part of the area, is the least interesting aspect of the area.  Definitely a tourist trap, with a few well known, overpricing scams in play.   Good for a photo opt, and that's about it.

One of the Krung Thep canal markets are better.

Khlong Bang Luang Floating Market, Krung Thep

Along with easy to get to, via public trans:

Gmap

If headed to Damnoen Saduak, it's a nice lush area, with a few things to peek at while there:

Damnoen Saduak

Thanks will add both Khlong Bang Luang and Samnoen Saduak to my list.

I think I may have gone by Klong Bang Luang on Saturday when on a longtail boat tour through Thonburi right before arriving at Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen.

• Thumbs Up 1

Moving down the Gulf coast, on bottom of PKK province.  Au Coffee @ Bo Thong Lang Bay

Au Coffee

Not on the coast, but one of, if not favorite munch spot within 1 hr's drive. Lovely landscaped, coffee/smoothie/sweets/food shop.  Partial to the curry U roti myself.

Baan Jib @ Ban Krut / บ้านจิบ ที่บ้านกรูด

If wanting to be surfside @ Ban Krut for a munch, then ... Cafe’ de Wa

IF passing through, and not wanting to leave the Hwy #4, (no view) a decent stop for food & BangChak / EV charging is ... P2N Restaurant

If northbound (no view), on the Hwy#4 ... Garage Cafe

PrachuapKhiriKhanCS

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

For some hilltop views, again, Gulf coast, and Wats seem to get primo land.

More than a few step to climb, but easy enough, locally, PKK ... Wat Khao Chong Krachok

Also nice viewpoints you can drive up to, at Ban Krut Beach & Thong Wua  Laen Beach & north of ...

Wat Tang Sai

Short stroll to highest point, if there right time of year, may even see migrating Raptors ... Chumphon Raptor Centre

Non coastline, but nice for a munch, at Surat Thani ...

Baan Bon Khao - View Suai

• Like 1

My partner and I recently took a trip to the far south, staying at a resort on Koh Lipe and several places on the mainland.  We got so far south that at one point we stuck our toes into Malaysia.  Koh Lipe was fun with snorkeling and there was lots to see on the mainland, as well. 

The highlight, for me, was getting up early one morning in Yala Province and going up to the top of a mountain to a partly glass sky walk that our guide called 'The Sea of Clouds Skywalk'.  I think it might have a different official name.  The view is of hills and mountains as far as you can see and the early morning fog is so thick that it does look like a sea of fog with the mountains above.  A bit hard to describe but beautiful.  When we travel in Thailand I am always amazed at the varied and interesting scenery.  Thanks for the thread--I am enjoying all the photos and information!

20230510_061450.jpg

20230510_062402.jpg

20230510_061453.jpg

1688206774100.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

My partner and I recently took a trip to the far south, staying at a resort on Koh Lipe and several places on the mainland.  We got so far south that at one point we stuck our toes into Malaysia.  Koh Lipe was fun with snorkeling and there was lots to see on the mainland, as well. 

The highlight, for me, was getting up early one morning in Yala Province and going up to the top of a mountain to a partly glass sky walk that our guide called 'The Sea of Clouds Skywalk'.  I think it might have a different official name.  The view is of hills and mountains as far as you can see and the early morning fog is so thick that it does look like a sea of fog with the mountains above.  A bit hard to describe but beautiful.  When we travel in Thailand I am always amazed at the varied and interesting scenery.  Thanks for the thread--I am enjoying all the photos and information!

20230510_061450.jpg

20230510_062402.jpg

20230510_061453.jpg

1688206774100.jpg

Thanks for posting.  As I keep talking myself out of going to the bottom provinces, and pretty much the only ones I haven't been to.

Satun on W side, or below Phatthalung.  Next time when he head S, this year, as been to other spots more than a few times.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Off to that family thingy, with pitstop @ Ayutthaya.  Not really a fan of the place.  Though can't actually say I've spent a lot of time there.

Did have an excellent dinner @ Ayutthaya.  

Aminah Halal Rest.

Khao Kho, Phetchabun, we like very much, and our 3rd or 4th time here.  Just R&R for a couple before moving on to NBLP/family thingy.  

Just one of the little valleys, off the balcony area.

Edited by KhunLA

Didn't think I'd ever say this ... 'TH has a must see ... 'anything' ...

But the countryside of Nan, along Hwy @ 1081, is really worth the trip to see.   I really like Khao Kho, but Nan's 1081 is definitely my favorite drive now.  From Nan city, over to Bo Klua

Not too shabby all the way up and over from Loei way either.  Highly recommend cutting through Khao Kho to get to Loei, if coming from Krung Thep or south of.

Hate Thai cities, except Krung Thep, but love the countryside.

Edited by KhunLA

5 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

That's a strange statement.

Most are same same, concrete slums, buildings, streets, walkways, not well maintained, though acceptable, as it is what it is, 3rd world ... but, congestion & no parking, with little variety is what really turns me off.

Krung Thep wins for variety & public trans.  Takes 10-20 visits before Krung Thep gets boring.  Other metros, 2 days is more than enough usually.

Edited by KhunLA

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

Most are same same, concrete slums, buildings, streets, walkways, not well maintained, though acceptable, as it is what it is, 3rd world ... but, congestion & no parking, with little variety is what really turns me off.

Krung Thep wins for variety & public trans.

Yeah OK I guess the thing is I'm just not city guy.

I can tolerate CM for 2 nights but that's my limit. ????

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/20/2023 at 1:29 PM, KhunLA said:

Any favorites, feel free to post (not soi 6), and hopefully with a Gmap link, as always open to suggestions.

Best places I visited were far from tourists and preferably where I was the only farang.

Best trip, a forest road from Phrae to Sirikit dam on which we were advised not to travel ( very bad road, very bad road ) by locals. The road was indeed bad, and not for unskilled drivers with an unsuitable vehicle, but even there, Thais on their trusty motorbikes had carved out smallholdings.

Never got past second gear for the entire 3 hour trip in the forest. Bliss.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 6/20/2023 at 1:29 PM, KhunLA said:

Any favorites, feel free to post

The temple south of Lamphun where they filmed part of a Rambo movie ( think number 3 ) up on a high hill above the temple of the Budha's feet.

Sadly, none of the monks remembered anything about making the movie there, and there was nothing to commemorate it.

I could have lived at that temple rest of my life if able- a fantastic vibe there.

If anyone chooses to go there, drive up, as the staircase is probably longer than the one up to Doi Suthep.

• Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Disagree. Thai cities are IMO all lookalike concrete jungles with no character.

Thai countryside if great though, but the further from tourists the better.

Only thing I liked about Bkk was Nana.

Where I live our village is a tourist place and nothing like a concrete jungle with all the electric wires and internet cables in ugly sight, in fact the start of a jungle is only 4 kilos away.

• 1 month later...

If in the hood, and got kids, very young, as teen my be bored, PKK has Waghor Aquarium & science/astrology, though haven't been in the latter part.

Behind it, surfside is a Joy coffee shop.  Had a decent Black Forest, their name, though strawberry, instead of raspberry.  Along with a rather nice Cappuccino, from a not so hi-tech espresso machine, a bit of surprise, but tasty.

Lo-So, but nice place to take in the surf.  If lucky, may see a Frigatebird from one of the islands out there, as I was lucky to get a snap of a couple.  A bird rare to see.

image.png.ab62f7c30e81883fd95e88a93ae45173.png

Or just some of the usual suspect, as I did yesterday:

DSN03956DN.jpg

DSN03950DN.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 2:21 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Disagree. Thai cities are IMO all lookalike concrete jungles with no character.

Thai countryside if great though, but the further from tourists the better.

Only thing I liked about Bkk was Nana.

Actually, having thought about it, I liked the skytrain as had decent totty to look at. Bkk girls are definitely prettier than most elsewhere other than Chiang Mai malls. Not to say that they are hanging out waiting for some passing farang to shag. Look but don't touch as one famous character opined.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...