E-Visa with thai address on passport

58 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I've a French passport but with a thai address in Chiang Mai: do you think it could be a problem to get a SETV e-Visa?

It shouldn't be. The E-visa system is based on the right of abode in the country of application. If you do not have the right of abode in the country of application you would need a valid reason why the application is being made from that country.

However it couldn't be ruled out that a zealous official may question why a TV with a Thai contact address. 

A plausible answer should suffice but that would depend  on circumstances.

39 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Since when do PP have your address in them? place you were born yes but your address ? 

For a very long time, my passports have my address in them... Really sorry for the inconvenience!

Please get out and explore the world, a little bit!

:clap2:

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Fab5BKK said:

For a very long time, my passports have my address in them... Really sorry for the inconvenience!

:angry:No need for your snide remark, i have explored the world a great deal more than most, and i have have never felt the need to look at a Frenchman's Passport ever, it was a simple question. Dare I ask are there any other countries that do that. :mellow:

• Thumbs Up 1

From a mate's experience the first post of Dr Jack says it all.

The Thai consulate in France has to work on the application for any French citizen!

No question. And of course you can use any former address or address of relatives whatever if asked. No proof requested.

The problem arises only if a foreign resident of France (let's say a Swiss) wants to apply for E-visa at the consulate in France. He would have to proof his residence in France.

Why would he? Maybe because he lives and works in France and can only proof income/saving in Euro/France.

I know about that having lived in Germany as a foreigner and applying at the general consulate in Berlin (in person 2010). Need proof or residence.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

:angry:No need for your snide remark, i have explored the world a great deal more than most, and i have have never felt the need to look at a Frenchman's Passport ever, it was a simple question. Dare I ask are there any other countries that do that. :mellow:

"it was a simple question"...

"Since when do PP have your address in them? place you were born yes but your address ? " So... that's what you call  a simple question?!? Pathetic, really!

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

From a mate's experience the first post of Dr Jack says it all.

The Thai consulate in France has to work on the application for any French citizen!

No question. And of course you can use any former address or address of relatives whatever if asked. No proof requested.

The problem arises only if a foreign resident of France (let's say a Swiss) wants to apply for E-visa at the consulate in France. He would have to proof his residence in France.

Why would he? Maybe because he lives and works in France and can only proof income/saving in Euro/France.

I know about that having lived in Germany as a foreigner and applying at the general consulate in Berlin (in person 2010). Need proof or residence.

I'm in Korea. Does asking for an e-visa on official website could make problem because my French passport has a thai address in Chiang Mai?

18 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I'm in Korea. Does asking for an e-visa on official website could make problem because my French passport has a thai address in Chiang Mai?

The Thai address in pp is irrelevant.

You should be asking if you can apply for e-Visa with French pp while currently in Korea.

Which type of visa are you after.

SETV? 

23 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

I'm in Korea.

If you have (permanent) resident status/address in Korea you could direct your application to the Thai consulate in South Korea (I assume south).

For that the address in the passport is useful. Should be good enough for application at Korea consulate?

Otherwise you need another proof.

For the details you would have to give it a try on the e-visa site.

Can't help with details.

Edited by KhunBENQ

5 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

If you have (permanent) resident status/address in Korea you could direct your application to the Thai consulate in South Korea (I assume south).

For that the address in the passport is useful. Should be good enough for application at Korea consulate?

Otherwise you need another proof.

For the details you would have to give it a try on the e-visa site.

Can't help with details.

Thank you for your message. I don't have resident status/adress in Korea but why should I direct any application to any Thai consulate of any country for an e-visa when there is a website to do it? E-visa is just for not going to any consulate, if I understand correctly.

13 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Thank you for your message. I don't have resident status/adress in Korea but why should I direct any application to any Thai consulate of any country for an e-visa when there is a website to do it? E-visa is just for not going to any consulate, if I understand correctly.

This has come up previously.

Example UK citizen in say Vietnam can he apply for SETV e-Visa from UK when they are in (as stated) somewhere like Vietnam.

IMO it was a flaw in the e-Visa introduction. 

18 hours ago, Fab5BKK said:

What a sneering reply. My EU passport definitely doesn't have an address line and my American friend and Thai partner with whom I am sipping coffee with have addressless passports. That accounts for 1 billion of the world population. 

Perhaps you could reveal which country your passport was issued in. If you can't then I call BS. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Not USA but you can write information such as emergency contact On one of the pages

I think that is standard for most countries, and your supposed to write it in pencil in case your emergency/next of kin contact changes.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Thank you for your answer but I'm a little confuse and not sure to understand what you mean. 

If you are a French national you would normally be expected to apply in France. Although the E-visa platform is central applications are handled at the local embassy.

You could however apply in the UK, or any other E-visa country, if you had long term visa status and ok with the language on that website.

16 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

There are  2  separate and distinct problems. Firstly the various E-visa websites are in different languages and questions can be confusing for native speakers. Secondly there is an issue over residency.

Effective from 27 September 2021,the Foreign nationals with a legal/permanent residence in South Korea who wishes to apply for Thai visa must submit his/her application through the new online e-Visa platform at http://thaievisa.go.th.(Eligible for all nationalities)

1 hour ago, sandyf said:
There are  2  separate and distinct problems. Firstly the various E-visa websites are in different languages and questions can be confusing for native speakers. Secondly there is an issue over residency.

Effective from 27 September 2021,the Foreign nationals with a legal/permanent residence in South Korea who wishes to apply for Thai visa must submit his/her application through the new online e-Visa platform at http://thaievisa.go.th.(Eligible for all nationalities)

I know only this website and the only residency I've is my thai address in Chiang Mai on my passport.

Screenshot 2023-06-21 at 15.27.23.png

5 hours ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Doesn't make sens for me: French people with French passport are allowed to apply for e-visa.

Yes, but only at embassies or consulates that are willing to process applications from foreign non-residents. Not all consulates want to deal with foreigners, is been that way for a very long time.

If you were previously unable to obtain a tourist visa in-person then you won't be about to get one online either. 

Did you even start up an application on the evisa website? If so you'll see that the application will be processed by the Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul. 

Based on the info provided by @sandyfSeoul will only accept applications from foreigners who have residency status in South Korea.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Did you even start up an application on the evisa website? If so you'll see that the application will be processed by the Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul. 

Well, eventually something making sense for me! No, I didn't start up an application on the e-visa website as first, I wanted to post on this forum.

So, the e-visa website is going to use my IP address to send my request to the Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul?

Many thanks for your help, BTW.

12 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

So, the e-visa website is going to use my IP address to send my request to the Royal Thai Embassy in Seoul?

No, it doesn't use IP address, you select your current location from a drop-down box. 

See screenshot below from the eVisa website.

Screenshot_20230621_180849_Brave.jpg

53 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

No, it doesn't use IP address, you select your current location from a drop-down box. 

See screenshot below from the eVisa website.

Screenshot_20230621_180849_Brave.jpg

Well, I saw this and checked it before coming on this forum: it's precised "Your resident status in a country of which you are granted a residence visa to stay for more than six months.". I didn't stay more than six months in Korea (or any other country, I'm always traveling). So my permanent residency should be France. Except I've a Thai address on my passport... so my post on this forum.

15 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

So my permanent residency should be France. Except I've a Thai address on my passport

The Thai address means nothing.

You have a French pp.

The word "residency" is being misunderstood.

Do you have Permanent Resident status in Thailand.

I'm guessing not.

Edited by DrJack54

11 minutes ago, anotherfarangishere said:

Well, I saw this and checked it before coming on this forum: it's precised "Your resident status in a country of which you are granted a residence visa to stay for more than six months.". I didn't stay more than six months in Korea (or any other country, I'm always traveling). So my permanent residency should be France. Except I've a Thai address on my passport... so my post on this forum.

Well the short answer is no, you can't apply for a SETV using the eVisa website if you are in South Korea and aren't a legal/permanent resident.

You can either go back to France where your French passport gives you the "right of abode" or fly to a nearby country that accepts applications from foreign nonresidents.

You might want to have a look at recent threads about where it's easy to get a tourist visa in the region, or start a new thread, as I'm not up to speed with all of that like say BritTim or DrJack54.