Penang - How Long?

Hello

I'm a habitual lurker here, but this is my first post, so apologies in advance if the question's been answered before, it's posted in the wrong place etc etc. I've read through a good many posts regarding the Penang run, but can't seem to establish a definitive answer on whether or not a TV can be got in a day. Not to say I'm going to attempt this, I just want to make sure I leave enough time.

Here's my basic plan:

Leave Air Asia 07.25 flight from BKK on 25th July and arrive 10.05 Penang. Assuming the worst, and I can't make it to an agent in time for them to get the app in that morning, can the agent get my application in the next morning and pick up the visa the same afternoon i.e. do the whole thing on the 26th? Since I plan to leave on the 10.35 flight back to BKK on the 27th, I can't obviously wait until the afternoon of the 27th to get my passport back. I guess I could leave on the 17.05 flight, but I'm thinking this might be cutting it a bit fine. Also, I've checked already, but does anyone know of any public holidays/peak season hel_l I might have missed occuring around this time?

This is my first trip to Penang, so any advice on hotels, agents, stuff to do/see etc. would be appreciated. I'm thinking from what I've read in the posts, either the Hotel Continental or the Mingood at this stage, although the Bayview Georgetown looks okay. Anyone care to comment on these or agent preference? I've heard both Jim and NJ Books are okay.

Ah, just a couple more things. My TV (with the extention) will run out a few days before I'm due to go back to the UK for a couple of weeks in October. Does anyone know if immigration in BKK can sort out a few days extention? I'd rather not have an overstay in my passport, and obviously doing a border/visa run for the sake of a few days is pretty ludicrous. Also, anyone know the latest on back to backs? As I said, I'm going to be back in London for at least a couple of weeks, so I'm guessing/assuming the back to back issue may not affect me (will apply for new TV at Thai Embassy London before I leave), but you never can be too sure eh?

Thanks in advance for any replies and keep up the good work all.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Submit in the morning .... Pick up afternoon next day.

Furthermore, A TV can last as long as 105 days (or longer). After your first extension (30 days) is over, you may apply for a second extension. Instead of getting

an extension you get a stamp in your passport that your application is under consideration and you have to check back with immigration in 15 days. During this time you're allowed to stay in Thailand. If you have a valid reason (supported by documents) this period mat be as long as 30 days.

// edit: The only extensions of stay after first 30 day extension are 7 days//

Edited by lopburi3
false information - lopburi3

Hello

I'm a habitual lurker here, but this is my first post, so apologies in advance if the question's been answered before, it's posted in the wrong place etc etc. I've read through a good many posts regarding the Penang run, but can't seem to establish a definitive answer on whether or not a TV can be got in a day. Not to say I'm going to attempt this, I just want to make sure I leave enough time.

Here's my basic plan:

Leave Air Asia 07.25 flight from BKK on 25th July and arrive 10.05 Penang. Assuming the worst, and I can't make it to an agent in time for them to get the app in that morning, can the agent get my application in the next morning and pick up the visa the same afternoon i.e. do the whole thing on the 26th? Since I plan to leave on the 10.35 flight back to BKK on the 27th, I can't obviously wait until the afternoon of the 27th to get my passport back. I guess I could leave on the 17.05 flight, but I'm thinking this might be cutting it a bit fine. Also, I've checked already, but does anyone know of any public holidays/peak season hel_l I might have missed occuring around this time?

This is my first trip to Penang, so any advice on hotels, agents, stuff to do/see etc. would be appreciated. I'm thinking from what I've read in the posts, either the Hotel Continental or the Mingood at this stage, although the Bayview Georgetown looks okay. Anyone care to comment on these or agent preference? I've heard both Jim and NJ Books are okay.

Ah, just a couple more things. My TV (with the extention) will run out a few days before I'm due to go back to the UK for a couple of weeks in October. Does anyone know if immigration in BKK can sort out a few days extention? I'd rather not have an overstay in my passport, and obviously doing a border/visa run for the sake of a few days is pretty ludicrous. Also, anyone know the latest on back to backs? As I said, I'm going to be back in London for at least a couple of weeks, so I'm guessing/assuming the back to back issue may not affect me (will apply for new TV at Thai Embassy London before I leave), but you never can be too sure eh?

Visa aplications are before 12.00 noon. Your passport can be picked up after 2.00 pm the next day.Why pay an agent? Get a Taxi from the airport to the consulte and make your application. Taxi to George town or whevever. Next afternoon taxi to consulate, pick up passport. No problem.

Leave Air Asia 07.25 flight from BKK on 25th July and arrive 10.05 Penang.

This is cutting it really fine. I would wait until the 26th am, lodge the application then, pick it up the next afternoon (27th) and get the 5pm flight back home.

I've been able in KL to sumit in the morning and pick up the next morning - lots of please and thank you's so i could get the early TG flight to BKK - my missus was sick and and the girl at the desk took pity on me.

Leave Air Asia 07.25 flight from BKK on 25th July and arrive 10.05 Penang.

This is cutting it really fine. I would wait until the 26th am, lodge the application then, pick it up the next afternoon (27th) and get the 5pm flight back home.

No problem if the flight is not late. But..........

Hello

Here's my basic plan:

Visa aplications are before 12.00 noon. Your passport can be picked up after 2.00 pm the next day.Why pay an agent? Get a Taxi from the airport to the consulte and make your application. Taxi to George town or whevever. Next afternoon taxi to consulate, pick up passport. No problem.

because the agents only charge 200 baht and the taxi fare is more than that to the consulate and back

Thanks all. So the one day visa thing is a myth? There is no way an application can be submitted in the morning and picked up the same afternoon?

email NJ Books or Parvez Book store and see if they can do the expidited service at a premium charge

Thanks all. So the one day visa thing is a myth? There is no way an application can be submitted in the morning and picked up the same afternoon?

email NJ Books or Parvez Book store and see if they can do the expidited service at a premium charge

Thanks Fred. I don't suppose you have an e-mail for Parvez? I have NJ's.

mk

Hello

Here's my basic plan:

because the agents only charge 200 baht and the taxi fare is more than that to the consulate and back

But he will be coming from the airport.

Also I would rather have my destiny in my own hands rather than some agent. If my application goes wrong then I only have me to blame , not someone else.

Only my opinion.

But he will be coming from the airport.

Also I would rather have my destiny in my own hands rather than some agent. If my application goes wrong then I only have me to blame , not someone else.

Only my opinion.

It's a fair point. I guess I'm just lazy/hate dealing with immigration, and for the sake of 200 bht or whatever it is, well...

I never understood this use an agent stuff. what happens if he drops your passport down the drain or otherwise loses it ? Some maylaysian "mai pen rai" crap I suspect and you're in the shit right up past your neck.

I went to Penang once and it was dead easy. 5 minutes on the way there and the way back.

Stayed at the Cititel for about MYR125 or something. Didn't go out. Ordered room service twice. Fair prices for international phone calls to LOS. Late check out.

Total cost something like

Taxi to airport - 1000

Air ticket - 4000

Taxi in Penang - 500

Visa - 1000

Hotel - 1250

Hotel expenses - 500

Taxi to airport - 500

Food at airport - 500

Taxi home - 1200

Total Bt10,450 including taxis. The Pattaya agents will do it for you at Bt11,500 and say they make next to nothing. <deleted>. Strip out Bt2,200 for the taxis and you're left with Bt8,250 leaving them and their Malaysian people some Bt3,250 to share.

You could cut costs on the hotel and use buses to the airport but there is not much fat left to trim on that schedule.

Edited by torrenova

Submit in the morning .... Pick up afternoon next day.

Furthermore, A TV can last as long as 105 days (or longer). After your first extension (30 days) is over, you may apply for a second extension. Instead of getting

an extension you get a stamp in your passport that your application is under consideration and you have to check back with immigration in 15 days. During this time you're allowed to stay in Thailand. If you have a valid reason (supported by documents) this period mat be as long as 30 days.

// edit: The only extensions of stay first 30 days are 7 days//

'

Hmmm ... this comes from the new website of the Pattaya Immigration Bureau

(http://www.pattaya-immigration.org/visas.php?cat=tourist〈=EN)

================================================================================

========================

If a foreigner wishes to apply for a second extension after being admitted to the Kingdom for 90 days,

* the applicant is asked to report to the immigration office again in 15-30 days from the date of application, according to case if he produces evidence of necessity of extension,

* the applicant is asked to report to the immigration office again in 15 days from the date of application if the applicant does not produce evidence or documentation. During the period of consideration the applicant is allowed to remain in the Kingdom.

================================================================================

========================

After that the 15 days you get a stamp saying 'application not approved, applicant has to leave the Kingdom within 7 days'. So 21 days extended stay?

Outdated info from the authorities or even something Lopburi didn't know?

Edited by lopburi3

That is an extension for hospital treatment - not for tourism.

* Hospital certificate stating the doctor's examination with the followimg details:

o Kind of illness,

o Whether/How the illness prohibits traveling.

I never understood this use an agent stuff. what happens if he drops your passport down the drain or otherwise loses it ? Some maylaysian "mai pen rai" crap I suspect and you're in the shit right up past your neck.

I went to Penang once and it was dead easy. 5 minutes on the way there and the way back.

Stayed at the Cititel for about MYR125 or something. Didn't go out. Ordered room service twice. Fair prices for international phone calls to LOS. Late check out.

Taxi to airport - 1000

Air ticket - 4000

Taxi in Penang - 500

Visa - 1000

Hotel - 1250

Hotel expenses - 500

Taxi to airport - 500

Food at airport - 500

Taxi home - 1200

Total Bt10,450 including taxis. The Pattaya agents will do it for you at Bt11,500 and say they make next to nothing. <deleted>. Strip out Bt2,200 for the taxis and you're left with Bt8,250 leaving them and their Malaysian people some Bt3,250 to share.

You could cut costs on the hotel and use buses to the airport but there is not much fat left to trim on that schedule.

I stayed at the Cititel in early 2004 and it was 180 MYR, now it's pushing 300MYR so you must have stayed there a loong loong time ago. Air ticket to Penang at this point is minimum 6K incl all taxes. Cititel is way overpriced at this point.

http://www.cititelpenang.com/pg_tariff.html

the best agent rate for the cheapest room in the place is 241 MYR

Thanks Fred. I don't suppose you have an e-mail for Parvez? I have NJ's.

mk

hey buddy, NJ books email is [email protected]

there'd have to be quite a savings before I'd do the consulate run myself

Taxi to airport - 1000

Air ticket - 4000

Taxi in Penang - 500

Visa - 1000

Hotel - 1250

Hotel expenses - 500

Taxi to airport - 500

Food at airport - 500

Taxi home - 1200

In my estimations, your costs are a little high.

Taxi to airport (from Pattaya) - 860

Taxis in penang to/from airport - 400

Air ticket - 4000

Visa - 1000

Agent - 200

Photo - 80

Hotel - 250 - 500 *(see note)

Taxi home - 1400

Hotel expenses? None at Banana Guesthouse

Food I don't include because wherever you are you've got to eat, and meals in Penang are as cheap as in Thailand. Even at the airport there are some very economical places to eat (especially the Thai eatery on the ground floor near the taxi rank). Personally I wouldn't spend any more on food during a visa run than I would in Pattaya.

Total = 8190 - 8440 (depending on which room you choose)

It really isn't possible to bus to and from Pattaya on a quick Penang visa run from Pattaya because the flights are either too early, or too late for bus transport.

NOTE: If you're doing an overnight visa run, why not stay at the Banana Guesthouse on Chulia Street for from RM 18 to 50 depending on which room suits you. You're hardly going there for a holiday, so you should find this guesthouse more than adequate and they'll take care of your transport to and from the airport.

PS. How do you score a taxi from the airport to Pattaya for only 1200?

i have for years run out to theconsulate on my own - by bus even. i have this thing about making visa myself - but i have given in. now i just pay (penang) and get the visa back in a day.

going by train/bus/minibus its about b5500 all in from pattaya.

penang is boring but i never understood what the rush was to get back. espec when vast majority of thai expats have seen scant amounts of the region.

i have for years run out to theconsulate on my own - by bus even. i have this thing about making visa myself - but i have given in. now i just pay (penang) and get the visa back in a day.

going by train/bus/minibus its about b5500 all in from pattaya.

penang is boring but i never understood what the rush was to get back. espec when vast majority of thai expats have seen scant amounts of the region.

I disagree, Penang is not boring.

Thanks to everyone for all the valuable info.

I just spoke to a guy called Ali at NJ Books. He reckons it's no problem to arrive on the 25th and leave on the 27th. If he can't get the visa in on the 25th, for pick up on the 26th, he says he can do it all in one day on the 26th. He's quoted total 190 rin (1900 bht) for transport to/from airport, visa and his fee (non-expedited) & 210 rin for the same if it needs to be done in 1 day on the 26th. Does this sound about right?

With regard to the additional visa extension in BKK. Am I right in thinking then I can just go down to Lumphini when my 30 day extention expires and they'll give me a 15 day extention (producing no documententation), while they're 'thinking about it.' Bearing in mind I'll be leaving around 3-4 days after this anyway, it sounds like a good solution. Does anyone know the precise details of how this works? I mean, is it good enough to just turn up and say, "I can't leave because my flight's not for another few days," or do you have to give some kind of medical/emergency reason.

Will turn in report on my Penang trip when I return.

Thanks again.

No that is not right. After the normal 30 day extension of a tourist visa you will not receive more than one 7 day extension.

Thanks Lop. The 7 day extension will cover me fine until I can get back to the Thai Embassy in London. Do you need to give any particular reason? I.E. Can I just turn up and say my flight doesn't leave for another 3 days, please can I have a 7 day extension? Is this a good enough resaon? Any idea of cost?

Cheers again Lop. I won't even bother commenting on the 1,900 bht for a 30 day extention vs 1,900 bht for a 7 day extention discrepency *groans* I booked the Bayview in the end. Any regulars stay there? How is it? I understand it has an 'ionized pool' whatever that may be.

Sorry, make that 'Ozonized.'

Edited by MKAsok

It is also only 1,900 baht for a one years extension so it goes both ways.

Have not stayed at Bayview but it is considered one of the better places. On a kind of traffic island but not far from the financial and backpacker areas. I used to stay at Hotel Continental which is across the street and up a bit but Bayview is a class higher.

I stayed at the Bayview almost everytime. It's 10 times the price of the banana guesthouse so it's up to you if you want luxury or low budget. there's a lot of medium budget near that and including the hotel that lop mentioned. I stayed. I stayed at the medium budget Grand continental (not the continental that lop referred to) and I found the place pretty dirty and smelly. I'm willing to bet that the HC is better. I never stayed at any of the low budget dumps. who knows, maybe I'm throwing money away

Edited by Fred Sanford